Scott, Any news on GolTV & E*?

Apparently, Dish Network has now started a free preview of Setanta Sports for its' English-language viewers.

Three letters: E, P, and L.

Although right now (9:10 PM PT) there's AFL, but someone at Setanta needs to push a button somewhere. The footy is in "Squashovision".

For a channel one normally has to pay good money to get (ala HBO, et al) one should expect - no, demand - Setanta to set the aspect ratio right. No excuses.

(9:17 PM: Someone was paying attention - for five seconds things were normal - then Setanta's Live bug came up and...back to square one.)

The complete lack of objectivity and thought in the various remarks about GolTV on Dish Network is amusing.

First, let's look at the phrase " poor negoitation tactics ". You are judging this using what data ?

Dish Network knows how many subscribers watch GolTV, how many leave after channels are pulled, etc. etc.

When Dish Network pulled Voom HD channels, there was mass hysteria on these Forums, you couldn't read any thread without manic "I want my Voom!" posts for weeks.

But, a) Dish Network did focus groups of subscribers, and only a tiny fraction were even aware that Voom channels existed, and b) when the Voom channels were pulled, the complaints to the phone reps were actually much lower than they expected.

Any corporation of this size has many accountants, and there are undoubtedly many spreadsheets of the costs of the increased per subscriber fees versus the cost of losing subscribers.

The poster claims that one factor, for which he has no data, is costing Dish more money than another factor, for which he also has no data. In contrast, Dish has complete data on all these factors.

So all GolTV viewers' comments are entirely emotional rather than rational (no matter how well written).

Judge and jury, eh???

Judge and jury, eh???

Exactly my point.

Jury members should refuse to judge when there is no information. We don't know:

- How many Dish subscribers actually watch GolTV.

- How many Dish GolTV viewers care enough about La Liga to switch to another provider and what that will cost Dish in dollars.

- What Dish is asking for in the negotiations

- What GolTV is asking for in the negotiations

- How much money Dish saves by not agreeing to GolTV's offer

- How much money GolTV loses by not agreeing to Dish's offer

Note that if all the La Liga fans switch to another provider, it doesn't provide any extra money to GolTV, because they charge for every America's Top 250 subscriber and every Dish Latino subscriber, regardless of whether they ever watch GolTV. That is different from Setanta. If one provider were to drop Setanta, then Setanta would continue to get their $15 per month when they switch to a provider that carries Setanta. That doesn't work with GolTV because they charge for everyone who gets a basic package.

PS Don't forget, free preview of Setanta is allowing most or all to see Arsenal-WestBrom and Middlesbrough-Spurs on Saturday (and more) and Chelsea-Portsmouth on Sunday.

Last edited:
The complete lack of objectivity and thought in the various remarks about GolTV on Dish Network is amusing.

First, let's look at the phrase " poor negoitation tactics ". You are judging this using what data ?

Dish Network knows how many subscribers watch GolTV, how many leave after channels are pulled, etc. etc.

When Dish Network pulled Voom HD channels, there was mass hysteria on these Forums, you couldn't read any thread without manic "I want my Voom!" posts for weeks.

But, a) Dish Network did focus groups of subscribers, and only a tiny fraction were even aware that Voom channels existed, and b) when the Voom channels were pulled, the complaints to the phone reps were actually much lower than they expected.

Any corporation of this size has many accountants, and there are undoubtedly many spreadsheets of the costs of the increased per subscriber fees versus the cost of losing subscribers.

The poster claims that one factor, for which he has no data, is costing Dish more money than another factor, for which he also has no data. In contrast, Dish has complete data on all these factors.

So all GolTV viewers' comments are entirely emotional rather than rational (no matter how well written).

Actually my opinions are actually more factual than yours.

Fact - I am leaving Dishnetwork and taking my business to another provider which is indeed costing Dishnetwork money.
Fact - Good and usually successful negoiating tactics take into account the interests of all parties, Dishnetwork has apparently not included its subcribers in the process. (Factually, this appears to be a normal business practice of Dishnetwork based on past issues and must be one of the reasons for the factual decline in 25000 subscribers)
Fact - Dish does not know how many people actually watch Goltv they only know how many people subscribe to packages that contain GolTv.
And although I don't know the actual cost to Dishnetwork for customer acquistion I do know for a fact that it is much higher than customer retention.

Criticism of my opinion (which is only expressed to justify my action) is that Dishnetwork knows what their doing and I don't. Fine then Dishnetwork knows that they don't want me as a customer anymore and that's okay by me, I know what I'm doing. 25000 can't all be wrong.

and thanks for the compliment on the writing.

Fact - Good and usually successful negoiating tactics take into account the interests of all parties, Dishnetwork has apparently not included its subcribers in the process. (Factually, this appears to be a normal business practice of Dishnetwork based on past issues and must be one of the reasons for the factual decline in 25000 subscribers)

By the very nature of the subjectiveness of "Good and Usually" this cannot be a FACT but is indeed your opinion.

And opinions can't be "More Factual than yours". Facts are black and white leaving no room for opinion.

But hey, I once knew a girl that was a little pregnant so who am I to chime in.

I'm not sure where you get your ideas about business from.

Honda does not take customer opinions into account when they are negotiating a price for steel that is used in their automobile.

NBC does not take customer opinions into account when they are negotiating a price for advertisements during the Olympics.

Fact - Dish does not know how many people actually watch Goltv they only know how many people subscribe to packages that contain GolTv.

Actually, Dish has a pretty good idea how many people actually watch GolTV on Dish Network.

And although I don't know the actual cost to Dishnetwork for customer acquistion I do know for a fact that it is much higher than customer retention.
Except that those costs may be less than the amounts being negotiated between Dish and GolTV, which is the point you keep missing.

Criticism of my opinion (which is only expressed to justify my action) is that Dishnetwork knows what their doing and I don't.
If by " I don't ", you mean that you don't know the details of the negotiations, and you don't know Dish Network's costs, then that is true - because you are not a Dish Network accountant.

25000 can't all be wrong.

25,000 what ?

Fact...I'm getting tired of pricing out Direct TV options. If it wasn't for Travel Channel in HD Dish would've been out the door last week :mad:

Come on Dish...Get your finger out and come to a decision before the end of the week

If by " I don't ", you mean that you don't know the details of the negotiations, and you don't know Dish Network's costs, then that is true - because you are not a Dish Network accountant

Are you a Dish Network accountant, then????

If not, the above statement applies to you as well.

I think there may be an anti-sports mentality on the part of Charles Ergan and company. How 'bout their disdain toward the Mountain West Conference Sports Network?

Are you a Dish Network accountant, then????

If not, the above statement applies to you as well.

Definitely.

But remember I have not come to any conclusions over who is more "unreasonable", Dish or GolTV, nor have I come to any conclusions about Dish or GolTV doing anything that is bad for either's business model.

Some people have done that.

It is entirely possible that the best thing for both Dish and GolTV is for both to not agree to the other's proposal.

So, if someone needs GolTV, I strongly suggest that they go to the DirecTV Forums here at SatelliteGuys, and there are some great threads about how to get the best signup deals - reading those threads will be worthwhile in $$ to you.

PS It's not malaria, like.

They played a similar game when Lifetime left. Dish quickly signed up Oxygen as a replacement, saying that Lifetime's demands were unreasonable and that the channel would not be returning. Today we have Lifetime and LMN in SD and HD, and Oxygen is still there too. I would almost bet money that Gol TV will be back. It may be weeks or months, but I suspect it will be back. Charlie is just playing poker, and the company that owns Gol TV called his bluff.

I don't know, it has been a while for a lot of single channels in HD markets that Dish carries (ABC in Salt Lake City is the one that I am waiting for) and nobody seems to be budging on those! I know it's not really an apples to apples comparison though...

Fox Sports en Espanol

What is Ch 407? It indicates it is GolTV but the commentary is all in Spanish.

That is Fox Sports en Espanol, which is, for the time being at least, being presented on Channel 407 and being made available as part of the AT250 package in place of Gol TV.

Well La liga starts this weekend. I cant believe E* has not come up with a deal with GolTV.
Its so frustrating. I have missed two weeks of the Bundesliga. Any rumors Scott about a deal in the works? or are they talking? anything to give so hope.

Today's episode was the best !

You can view it at:

www.setanta.com/ioss

or if you are currently subscribed, it is repeated on Sunday beween 8:45pm Eastern Time and 9pm (right before the English Premier League Review Show).

man I LOVE THAT show!!!!!!! the wife and i watch every week! who do think he will sign this season? Cabbage man?

and im tryin to figure out how Nani and "Thiller" go together

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)