Scott, Any news on GolTV & E*?

alexgmny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 4, 2006
NYC
Scott, have you heard from all your contacts any news about a new deal being in the works? OR in your own personal opinion............will a new deal be possible?

I really feel bad that the German league (Budesliga) begins this weekend and i will miss atleast those first games. And the Spaniard League (La Liga) begins the 31.

I hope you have heard some good news....

Bundesliga and GaolTV

Scott, have you heard from all your contacts any news about a new deal being in the works? OR in your own personal opinion............will a new deal be possible?

I really feel bad that the German league (Bundesliga) begins this weekend and i will miss atleast those first games. And the Spaniard League (La Liga) begins the 31.

I hope you have heard some good news....

I am hoping for good news as well.... the Bundesliga makes my weekend. On the positive, the German ProSieben channel shows the games as well, albeit in a "conference format" where they rotate from game to game, AFTER a goal is scored, so you only see the goal in replay... but better than nothing. And, you get to see a bit of all the games and teams...

I am hoping for good news as well.... the Bundesliga makes my weekend. On the positive, the German ProSieben channel shows the games as well, albeit in a "conference format" where they rotate from game to game, AFTER a goal is scored, so you only see the goal in replay... but better than nothing. And, you get to see a bit of all the games and teams...

How much do you pay for that channel? Its an international one, right?

ProSieben Sat 1

where is the ProSieben channel?

It is on Channel 726 within the international section and can be subscribed to for 16.99 per month... not cheap, mind you but you get all the Bundesliga you want and occasionally they show DFB Pokal and other stuff as well.

It does not look good at all. In fact it's so bad that Dish will be (if they are not already) being doing an extended free preview of Setenta Sports to keep soccer fans.

It does not look good at all. In fact it's so bad that Dish will be (if they are not already) being doing an extended free preview of Setenta Sports to keep soccer fans.

That is bad news.

To any Dish executives monitoring this forum:..... Here's a reminder of a fact that I'm sure you've all been made aware of......Setanta won't keep La Liga and Bundesliga fans (not to mention fans of the various Latin American leagues on GolTV) from leaving Dish en masse.....Deadlines (start of the new season) are approaching.

I don't recall one channel that Dish has ever dropped permanently, that is unless the channel went dark. Every time there has been a contract dispute with a provider or a particular channel, it has disappeared for awhile then come back. A notable recent example is Lifetime, which came back with friends. Scott, I'm sure your memory is better than mine on this - can you think of any? (With the exception of Voom, of course, which very well might fold without Dish anyway).

They played a similar game when Lifetime left. Dish quickly signed up Oxygen as a replacement, saying that Lifetime's demands were unreasonable and that the channel would not be returning. Today we have Lifetime and LMN in SD and HD, and Oxygen is still there too. I would almost bet money that Gol TV will be back. It may be weeks or months, but I suspect it will be back. Charlie is just playing poker, and the company that owns Gol TV called his bluff.

From the GolTV press release -
Dish Network’s loss of GolTV was the result of its decision to impose unreasonable contract demands and terms on the independent and privately-owned minority network, GolTV.

So what do you think Dish was asking for?

They played a similar game when Lifetime left. Dish quickly signed up Oxygen as a replacement, saying that Lifetime's demands were unreasonable and that the channel would not be returning. Today we have Lifetime and LMN in SD and HD, and Oxygen is still there too. I would almost bet money that Gol TV will be back. It may be weeks or months, but I suspect it will be back. Charlie is just playing poker, and the company that owns Gol TV called his bluff.

How long was Lifetime off the air?

GolTV announced today that it is launching on Time Warner Cable this week. That would include LA and NYC among other locations. There was speculation on another thread that the possibility of GolTV losing the rights to La Liga, and thus many viewers, after the 2008-9 season was a factor in negotiations between GolTV and Dish. While we really do not know what the sticking points are, it is quite interesting to note that GolTV and Time Warner have been able to strike a deal, while GolTV and Dish have not............

From the GolTV press release -

Dish Network’s loss of GolTV was the result of its decision to impose unreasonable contract demands and terms on the independent and privately-owned minority network, GolTV.

So what do you think Dish was asking for?

From Dish Network's announcement:

GolTV has removed this channel after asking unreasonable terms to renew the contract. We work to solve the problem.

So, both Dish Network and GolTV says that the other has asked for "unreasonable" terms.

Lifetime was off of Dish Network for one month, from January 1, 2006, to February 1, 2006. When it came back it was reinstated in AT200 IIRC, when it had been in the base package previously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)