Scott - question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
Scott -

In one of the threads ( I think about a Retailer Chat ), you mentioned that your Boss had said that you had to go off to a meeting (paraphrase).

I'm curious - your "day job" - is it unrelated to Satellite TV ?

If he did work for a satellite company (or installer) this site would have been shut down years ago..too much confidential info being released

My day job is a network admin for a small company made up mostly of lawyers and accountants, I oversee a network of 50 users. :)

We are a little off from where we normally at add revenue is down, but the good news is no big scheduled expenses again until the end of November / December. So I wil know then if I need to dig in my pocket.

December is also expensive as we get geared up for CES, which we are planning now.

Scott, I am just interested in some rough statement concerning how Sat Guys is doing in terms of income versus expenses.

Just curious why you think it is any of your business? Not trying to be rude, but seems like kind of a strange question to ask.

Maybe he's trying to decide how big of a donation to give. :)

Close.

I've been using the Internet for about 23 years, and during that time, I have found that all web sites ( except, of course, for ones associated with obvious major corporations like CNN or Coca-Cola ) from the earliest days, caught on to the idea of a) asking for donations and b) asking for people to volunteer their time for nothing, even when the web site was a profitable enterprise which gave the owner a higher income than his volunteers received from their employers.

Asking for donations arose early on, because online discussions started long before online advertising, and bandwidth costs are always a problem.

Rich people asking for poor people to volunteer their time started with the first political campaign. ;) It is hardly an innovation.

As an example, at the peak of Internet purchasing of DVD disks, some of the DVD discussion sitew would not allow a reference to a DVD, unless it was a link to a DVD store that contained a referral code for the site. Simple mathematics (number of site members and a conservative very low click through estimate) showed that the site owner should have been able to purchase his own private Caribbean island. ;) Despite that, he asked for donations and had the usual unpaid mods (because most sites do not make any money and so cannot pay mods).

Note that I consider this site worthwhile, and I always think it is fair for site owners to pocket some money as compensation for the huge amount of work owned.

Before renewing my membership, I just wanted to see if there was a least some need, so I am happy to do so.

But I do think that sites that ask for donations should give some indication of the need. And I understand that memberships are borderline, because some sort of privileges are given... although those are generally thank-you gifts rather than the purpose of the memberships.

Before renewing my membership, I just wanted to see if there was a least some need, so I am happy to do so.
Scott has stated before that the money from pub memberships is literally nothing compared to the money coming in from site sponsors. As I recall, he even suggested that pub membership money isn't needed at all to run the site and that it's more of a "make the user feel good for contributing" gesture.

Hall I dont remember saying that, and if I did it was a lot different economic times. We are down from 10 sponsors to 6.

I don't run this place like a business, I run it as a hobby, if I ran it like a business I am sure I could make lots of money, but then it wouldn't be fun.

Other forums are owned by bigger companies and take donations and give access to their gold member forum, but we do so much more here, the money goes into the site. And when we have extra we even work to give it back at things like our Christmas parties.

Plus we do things that no other site does. And cover events that no other sites do.

Where does the money for the other sites go? If I had to guess I would say in the owners pockets.

I am proud of what we have been able to do over the past 6 years (next month) We have done a lot of things that no other site has ever done. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)