Scott Talks Joeys with Vivek Khemka (VIDEO)

So the Super Joey can connect straight to the dish (DPP) and the only logical outcome would be the utilization of a diplexor to combine both the sat feed and a feed from a client port of a node for the Super Joey. Alternatively, when utilizing a duo node you can simply connect a Hopper to one of the host ports then connect the Super Joey to the other host port. I personally do not believe that MoCA has a bandwidth limitation with two Hoppers and a Super Joey, seeing as it can support my 4-Hopper setup just fine. However, I can see why Dish would say this rather than give all the details about the switches needed and whatnot. That's what SatelliteGuys is for.

Ok folks after 7 hours I got the video to upload!

I will post a new thread later but for those who want to see it now... here it is!

Last edited:
Fantastic interview Scott. I love listening to Vivek because he knows his stuff and we know that he's paying attention to what we're saying here.

Touchscreen remote is coming! I would like a smartphone app like the Apple TV Remote app to control Hoppers and Joeys, a keyboard pops up whenever text entry is prompted.

That was indeed a great interview Scott.Awesome to know that Mr.Khemka reads and listens to our satguys forums.

Pretty safe bet that SJ will be $10,in between Hopper and joey.One hopper and one SJ per network.Did I hear that correctly?Can't grab SJ tuners for live tv.

Possible improvements for next year,improved user interface,could that mean larger fonts?:D Too many buttons on the current remote you say?Sounds like a touch pad remote with swype could be in the works.

Last edited:
Super Joey tuners are fully integrated with Hopper's tuners, user experience will be like having a 5 tuner Hopper.

Glad to hear Vivek talk about improving the Hopper user interface.

Hopefully improving the management of recordings is top of the list. It would drive me crazy trying manage two more tuners worth of recordings via a Super Joey in the current interface. Luckily, we got 2 hoppers at launch and everything is kept separate enough between family members so that it's somewhat bearable.

Dish has a great employee in Vivek, I can see the man behind the tech that lured me back to Dish after I cut the cords a few years back.
He is spot on about Bluetooth, 4K, the current remote and software enhancements.

Dish has a great employee in Vivek, I can see the man behind the tech that lured me back to Dish after I cut the cords a few years back.
He is spot on about Bluetooth, 4K, the current remote and software enhancements.

I completely agree. I know there are some here that want 4k and a bluetooth keyboard but it's low on the priority list in the grand scheme of things with the Hopper.

Great interview, a bit bummed that I thought I heard there would be no full integration of live tuners with two Hoppers. Oh well, still a great set up

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks Scoot and Mr. Vivek for everything and answering all questions very informative and thanks to everyone out there who gave us all the information at CES!!! :)

Vivek has been the BIGGEST BLESSING we have ever received from DISH. He is the first to really understand the SatelliteGuys members and he knows his stuff. There is nobody better in the industry then Vivek. The thing I love about him is he loves this stuff as much as we do! For him I don't think its just a job its a passion.

Vivek has been the BIGGEST BLESSING we have ever received from DISH. He is the first to really understand the SatelliteGuys members and he knows his stuff. There is nobody better in the industry then Vivek. The thing I love about him is he loves this stuff as much as we do! For him I don't think its just a job its a passion.

If Dish would ever lose Vivek that would be a big loss for Dish and what a great guy that knows so much and wants to do so much more to improve the Hopper Joey Super Joey and Remote control!! Thanks again Mr. Vivek for everything!!! :)

Great interview, a bit bummed that I thought I heard there would be no full integration of live tuners with two Hoppers. Oh well, still a great set up

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

This seems to be the reason they made the Super Joey though. At least they payed attention to what we were saying and provided us a solution. I'm pretty happy about the equipment so far, I hope I remain happy though.

If the SJ has the HwS chipset, does it also have working Bluetooth hardware e.g. for headphones?

I'm really pleased with the Dish tech plans.

I'll get a super joey when they come out and no more recording/watching conflicts. Never thought 3 tuners would not be enough but it occasionally happens .

I'm also into cleaning up the wire jumble where I have electronics. So anything wireless that eliminates wiring and cables makes me happy (wireless joey).

And, when they come out with a new remote, (hinted at in the video), I will be first in line to replace the old ones. She who must be obeyed would really like a new remote.

I heard Vivek start to say 'swipe' when talking about the remote having too many buttons. While I wouldn't have too much trouble with that concept (I have an iPad Air), my wife would have a bit of trouble learning how to use the remote. I have a neighbor who has difficulty with the remote as it is. If they get too techie with the remotes, they're gonna lose customers that don't learn tech well, and there are tons of them....

I'm curious as to what the receiver configurations will be now. I'm assuming it will remain the same with 3 Joeys to one Hopper, so I think the max you could have is a Hopper, 2 Joeys and a Super Joey.(This would be for a single Hopper install only) The great thing with this install now is that every TV has it's own tuner and still has a free tuner for recording. So much better than the Hopper and 3 Joey install that Dish always seems to recommend.

I heard Vivek start to say 'swipe' when talking about the remote having too many buttons. While I wouldn't have too much trouble with that concept (I have an iPad Air), my wife would have a bit of trouble learning how to use the remote. I have a neighbor who has difficulty with the remote as it is. If they get too techie with the remotes, they're gonna lose customers that don't learn tech well, and there are tons of them....

Vivek says he wants to simplify it though. I myself like the remote just the way it is but I can see how some people get confused with it. My opinion is to stay away from any touch pad kind of remote. That 922 remote was a disaster, I still have one at home.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)