Scott's Amazon 4K FireTV Review

I think the Fire TV (and the TiVo Bolt) were rushed out to market for the coming Holiday buying season. A lot of people are complaining about bugginess with the Fire TV. Have we not gone through this with Dish? IMHO, I think just about all the problems will be fixed with firmware updates to come. by the end of the year, we may be experiencing a far more robust and solid Fire TV because it has the Slingbox app built in and the Slingbox app is FAR MORE intuitive than Roku's complex and degraded PQ method of initiating on a mobile device that kills the Roku remote requiring all control of the Slingbox from the mobile device, but first impressions are hard to forget. I am very close to getting a Fire TV, but I will wait for Amazon to fix the problems, then I'll bite.

I suspect that modern TV content is NEVER recorded at 24fps. It is likely recorded at ~30fps or ~60fps. Even back in the day film resident movies had to be put on a "film chain" to convert them to the different frame rate for recording and playback.

That is what I originally thought as well but I can tell you that many of the TV series I watch on Netflix and Amazon output at 24fps on my Tivo. The Tivo automatically switches to 60fps on content that was recorded at 30 or 60.

Here is a good thread at AVS Forums that goes into lots of detail on devices that output the correct framerate for Netflix. I wish I could link to a specific post there like you can here because a little more than half way down the page michaelscott has a really good post describing what is happening on different players.

It sounds like most TV content is recorded in 24p but converted for TV broadcast. It is available on Netflix, Amazon, and Blu-ray in the 24p it was recorded at.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/184-v...hat-devices-support-netflix-super-hd-24p.html

Thanks. That is the exact post I wanted to link to. I also see what you are talking about for linking directly to a specific post now. It only shows up when you are logged into your account and I wasn't when I tried to do it yesterday.
I thought about that after I posted last night. I thought I wonder if he was logged in?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts