Scott's C-Band Dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
tvropro, I' d never heard that about Kenny. I always figured the GI folks got him locked up for his shows.
Yeah, it was a shock to me, when I tuned in for Greensheet
(like I did every week) and there was a slate on instead of the show,
stating that Shawn Kenny had passed away earlier that morning! :eek: :(

Where he's got the inclinometer is fine. (provided the pivot axis and where the inclinometer is stuck to are at right angles to each other...)

Do both of those surfaces of the inclinometer have a magnet on them? Mine doesn't. I wonder....

Nope mine only has a magnet on one side.

What are you using for your declination offset angle? That diagram is a little funky. What he calls elevation, is 90º - elevation....

For Latitude: 41.6927° Longitude: -72.7215°, I get a little less than 6.5º

If you measure on the back plane of the dish (that circular ring thing) it should measure 41.7º at TS. (With your angle finder oriented as pictured) On the polar mount, it should be less by 6.5º.

I would try the C-band stuff try to get things started.

Ok we believe we have the elevation set correctly now. (We used Shawnn's method)

Now trying to figure out the declenation angle.

On my angle meter what should it be set to? 41.6 + 6.5?

Maybe if someone could talk us on the phone, as we are missing something. :)

Attachments

• sunday1.jpg
    sunday1.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 167
  • sunday2.jpg
    sunday2.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 162
Yep that's it>the declination will be right when its the sum of 1.site elevation & 2.delination offset. Around 48 on the angle meter. I'll pm you a phone # .

Well we hit a signal! Not the one I was looking for but a signal just the same.

58 degrees, Intelsat 9! :)

At least we know the LNB works, but something is still off.

Attachments

• sunday3.jpg
    sunday3.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 204
A compass true south will get you close to you south sat, set your angles then using a known transponder if you are off by a bird or two just bump it in, once there see if you can tweak a bit more with the polar axis (spinning dish on pole east or west with a slight bumping east and west), then try your most east and west birds mark you quality and play a bit with small adjustments every time going back to your 3 points to make sure your ok. Make sure your feed is centre, sometimes with a corotor tightening the one key screw can turn the scalar and this means the scalar is pointing a bit off and can cause issues, I'm not sure it the lnbf has one screw but if it does make sure your scalar/feed throat is straight.

This is good chart, simply add the number and that what it should read:
Footprints by Dish Size - Latitude Declination Chart - C/Ku-Band Satellite Listing

Last edited:
We are working and are tracking the arc!

From 55 degrees all the way over to 105. With signals of around 70 on the SuperBuddy Meter.

We didn't try to go further yet.

We even got KU on my true South satellite of 72 degrees. (didnt try on other satellites yet)

It probably still needs to be tweeked a bit but we are very close, and since i have other things to do I am locking everything down and cleaning up the site.

Thanks to turbosat for his help, his idea of moving the motor and seeing whatelse I could hit was a very good one. :D :D

Oh also make sure your pole is plumb, if your pole has a nice fit into the pole cap you should be ok but if the pipe is a bit to thin getting the dish straight can be a pain in the but when your playing with the polar axis you will probably only need to move a finger nail thickness east or west, and a small bumping.

Great having ku on your most south is key, remember to do all your polar axis adjusting there, when on the far east and west you notice pulling or pushing up or down makes an improvement this means your still off in the polar axis so go back and fix it on the most south.

It can take a very long time to get the dish set to it's optimal performance you will never get it 100% perfection as everytime you tighten a bolt the dish will move a bit, basically once you are satisfied across the arc you will be fine.

Last edited:
Glad you're getting there Scott! It can get complicated for a first timer, but really, all you're doing is lining up two semi-circles, one in the sky, and the other made by your dish as it moves east/west. With a little more tweaking I'll bet you'll get it the way you want. *I wonder if you can hit 137 for NASA....but then, you can get that off 72 anyway.

From 55 degrees all the way over to 105. With signals of around 70 on the SuperBuddy Meter.

We even got KU on my true South satellite of 72 degrees. (didnt try on other satellites yet)

It probably still needs to be tweeked a bit but we are very close, and since i have other things to do I am locking everything down and cleaning up the site.

Thanks to turbosat for his help, his idea of moving the motor and seeing whatelse I could hit was a very good one. :D :D
Excellent, Scott! Another BUD up & scanning the sky! :D:up

This will help you dial it in Scott.

Attachments

• polartrack.gif
    polartrack.gif
    7.3 KB · Views: 173
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)