Scott's C-Band Dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I honestly did not know you could set limits on the actuator as well as on the mover (or receiver) I don't think the actuator came with any instructions on how to set the limits on it. (Only thing I remember seeing in the small instruction paper was how to wire it.

I heard from Brian at SatelliteAV and he has spare parts. (PHEW!)

As I said last night it was my fault entirely for thinking that the GBOX retained its limit memory after being unplugged.

I didn't sleep much at all last night, I almost felt like crying.

But its good that SatelliteAV can sell me spare parts and changing things shouldn't be too bad now that I know how to properly align the Dish. :)

Very bad news...

My Dish is no more. :( :( :(

I had my dish set with limits on the GBOX unit (East and West) when I had the GBOX outside. I though that when they were stored outside they were set in the box.

I am guessing that when I unplugged the GBOX to bring it in the house that it lost its settings for its east west limits. As I went in and ran the receiver to the east and west to set the limits (I can't see the dish in the house.)

After that I tried tuning the dish to a known satellite, the strength level on the receiver wouldn't change and the quality meter was stuck at zero.

I went outside to check the dish and was crushed by what I saw. The dish was at a 90 degree angle pinted to the east side of the arc.

I took a closeup look of the mount and saw that the threaded rod that control the declination snapped in half. And the top of the mount where actuator is scred in was ben down.

The mount it totally shot. :(

It was my fault it broke and I take full responsibility.

I am crushed and not sure what to do now. :(

What a bummer. :( I would check the reflector to see if it didn't hit anything and got warped. That does happen, happened to my old 10 foot (actuator error). Since you have to take it down to replace the mount do a string test.

There is a cam in acme screw jacks that can be set to cut power to the motor to prevent this. If you had a ball screw this may have been avoided since the slip clutch would have stopped the shaft at the end of travel.

All you can do is pick up the pieces and start over. We all have one thing or another that happens from time to time and have to start over.

Well I was able to get outside in the light this morning before heading to work and check things out.

I am thinking I got VERY lucky.

The Dish itself is find and does not seem to warped or harmed at all. The actuator also looks fine and does not appear to have any damage.

The point that failed was the declenation screw at the weld which the screw was welded to a fitting allowing it to be screwed to the mount.

The top of the bar where the declination was screwed into (And the actuator is screwed into is bent. However it might be possible that this might not be a problem, the main part of the arm where the elevation is set is unharmed, as is the area where the declination screw was screwed into, the part that is bent is the area where the mount for the actuator is screwed into. It might be possible to me to hit it with a hammer and flatten it down more on the actuator mount side. I will go on the adviace of SatelliteAV though on this one.

I could need two parts although I am thinking that I only need the declination screw part.

Here are the pictures ...

We start off with picture one which was the finished happy dish pointing at 72 degrees. The second picture was the sad dish tipped over to the east. The other pictures are from behind the dish. One of them is labeled where I point out the damage.

I believe I got VERY lucky in this one. Now I need to figure out how to set the actuator limits on the QARL-3624 actuator so that this NEVER happens again.

Attachments

• dish1.jpg
    dish1.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 247
  • dish2.jpg
    dish2.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 244
  • dish3.jpg
    dish3.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 279
  • dish4.jpg
    dish4.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 251
  • dish5.jpg
    dish5.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 281
I feel a bit bad, in post #22 I mentioned the limits being important, I could have been more clear. Good luck and I hope you will be dish hunting on both c/ku shortly.

I found a booklet that came with my last one Scott, I'll try to get my scanner working and post it for you this afternoon. The parts should be very similar if not identical, mine was an 18" superjack.

superjack install limits

I scanned it and saved as a photo, let me know if you have trouble with this, seemed to enlarge pretty well here.

Attachments

• out0010.jpeg
    out0010.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 280
You're welcome. Maybe that could go in the "manuals" section in case its needed again. I never set mine except with the receiver (analog boxes) because I can see my dish from the house.

Try and get the actuator swung back around the right way before it rains. Being motor down like that, it will fill up with water quick, and add more unnecessary trouble. :(

Scott, in the second picture where you show the flopped dish, it looks like there might be a bend in the dish. I'm not sure whether it is an optical illusion or not, but I circled the area in question to illustrate...

Attachments

• maybebent.jpg
    maybebent.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 226
That is on the lip of the dish from picking it up. I checked it out yesterday. And its not a problem with the dish. :)

Brian from SatelliteAV sent me a note overnight saying that the parts will be here on Friday.

According to Brian "We have identified parts as the Declination bracket, declination T-bolt and the Nut / Bolt for attaching the T-bolt tube."

SatelliteAV has been great through this, I am very impressed with their service and support!

I can't wait to get this fixed and back on the arc. :D

Jamal,

Thank you for the most kind and generous compliments to our staff. Like you and your excellent staff, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction.

I have always viewed your integrity as a benchmark for measuring success.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)