Scott's C-Band Dish install

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My replacement parts are here from SatelliteAV! (THANK YOU!)

Guess what I will be doing tommorow? ;)

I should have followed your advice and gone with SatelliteAV instead of Sadoun.

1/2 my parts are missing a second time - another negative experience from Sadoun.

Guess what I WON'T be doing tomorrow? In fact, I wonder if I will have everything by next weekend.

Sounds great, looks like SatelliteAV will take care of you :) The sponsors always seem to step up to the plate when there is a problem like this.

Obviously only certain sponsors.

Random you're obviously PO'd about it, but it would've been better to take it up with them directly. Mistakes happen, and yes they can happen twice. I think you are in the minority when it comes to people having problems with sponsors here, in fact they seem to go out of the way to fix things that do go wrong. Hope you get the problem worked out with them.

Random you're obviously PO'd about it, but it would've been better to take it up with them directly. Mistakes happen, and yes they can happen twice. I think you are in the minority when it comes to people having problems with sponsors here, in fact they seem to go out of the way to fix things that do go wrong. Hope you get the problem worked out with them.

Try 4 times, not 2. It should be pointed out that not all sponsor go out of their way to fix problems as quickly as Scott gets his problems fixed. Sadoun now says I will be luckly to have the rest of the parts I ordered by next weekend - some 3 plus weeks after I placed an order that I should have had in 72 hours.

Numerous examples of Sadoun's exemplary service can be found by searching this site. Satellite AV also makes mistakes! We all want to get it right! What separates Sadoun from many other resellers is that they base their company on integrity and they stand behind their products and will do whatever is necessary to make it right for you, their customer.

Let's get this thread back on track..... Start a new thread for a new subject (don't hijack). :rant:

Scott, remove the dish from the post to replace these parts. It probably could be done while on the post if you had a few extra hands, but at this point why risk additional damage.

Did you figure out how to set the mechanical limits of the actuator? We love photos!

Last edited:
Didnt get to do it today. Too much other stuff going on, but will hop into it in the morning. :)

Pictures will be coming. :D :D

So yesterday we were able to swap out the parts to bad with the new. Photos are below of the broken parts, with the new parts.

We then got the dish on the ground and restrung it to make sure all was good, and indeed all was good.

We then got it back up on the pole and on the advice of a friend restrung it again while on the pole and again all looked good.

I did notice that on the edges where we lifted up from was bent just slightly, the inside of the dish was not bent just the outside lip. When it was hanging it made the dish look like it was out of wack when the inside of the dish was fine.

I worked for awhile to bend the lip back into place so it looked more normal again, it wasnt bent bad at all but just the slight kink in it mad it look bad.

After we got the Dish up we didn't get to aim it as we had other places to be, but I did set the hardware limits on the actuator so that this will not happen again.

Me and my father are getting really good about putting together and putting up C Band dishes. :D

Tonight we will aim it and I will also finish adjusting the actuator accordingly to properly set its limits.

I know you guys love photos.

Photo 1 is the broken parts with the new parts
Photos 2 & 3 are looking at the mount from different directions
Photo 4 is the actuator motor with the hardware limits set.

More to come!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 211
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 202
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 223
This has been an odd day...

Worked on my Dish and had a friend come over with his spectrum analyzer (Thanks Gary Diamond!) we quickly peaked my Dish and had it tracking the arc on his SA.

After that he had me plug the LNB cable into my Superbuddy and figure out what satellite we were on. We were hitting SatMex5 at 116.8. With that my friend left.

I cleaned up everything outside and went inside.

Inside I was unable to get a signal on my AZBOX, had 100 signal on the screen but 0 quality.

I plugged the meter in to the cable that I plugged the AZBOX into and locked onto SatMex 5.

I moved the Dish around trying to get signal from other satelites I could tell I was hitting other satellites as my DBm was down around 19 but was unable to lock on satellites. So I took the meter and the GBOX outside to the dish.

Again I was able to quickly lock on to Satmex 5. I then moved the dish till my sat beeper beeped and my dBm was low on the sat buddy. I then tried something new and pressed the up button on the satbuddy to try cycleing through transponders. I then locked in a few more birds.

I came in the house and tried the AZBOX again and nothing...

Then got out the old trusty Fortec Mercury II receiver, hooked it up and set it for Satmex 5 and had signal...

So once I had signal I did a power scan of the satellite...

Well what is reporting on the SuperBuddy to be Satmex 5 is actually Galaxy 17 c at 91 degrees!

I am picking up the following: (some are scrambled)
VERSUS AC3
SportsNet NW (Portland)
Versus Alternate AC3
Sportsnet California
mtb
CES Alt2
SNY
SNY Alt
VERUS MPEG
SportsNet NW
Versus Alternate
EWTN Europe Inter.
PAC RIM
SPAN DOM
Canada
Domestic
Africa
Span Int
EWTN Eurpoe English
WEWN
Latin AC-3
Canada AC-3
AC-3 US domestic
Span Int AC3
Domestic-English on
Radio 95
Radio 96
Real SP & Radio
Europe audios 3 & 4
Sports Alternate AC
Sports Alternate MP
THE WORD NETWORK
WORD NETWORK 2 AC3
GEMS Television Sec
JTV G17 PS1
TOC - DVIDS 1
TOD - DVIDS 2

Now at least I know where I am in the sky.

I am going to try the AZBOX again and this time set it for the correct Galaxy 17 C and see if I can get it to work. :)

I was pulling the hair out of my head wondering why it wasn't working...

Its been a strange day!

Plugged the AZbox in and am not getting anything...

Strenth is 99% but quality is 0%.
LNB Frequency is set to 5150...

Going to try reflashing the firmware now...

I am flashing it now with the newest BIOS, after that I will reset it to factory settings and try again.

Here are pics of the SuperBuddy telling me I am locked on to SatMex 5 which in reality I am locked on Galaxy 17 C.

I think my AZBOX died. Not getting anything... this is after updating the firmware and doing a factory reset. :(

The signal bar is moving between 80 and 100 depending what transponder its on, however always getting 0% quality.

Attachments

• sat1.jpg
    sat1.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 132
  • sat2.jpg
    sat2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 161
Dont know about azboxes, looks like you only got Horiz on G17C though, unless you were just scanning for the H-side. There's sev more freebies on there right now. Which I won't name here lol.

Time for me to go to bed.

I did a factory reset of the Fortec Box (I wanted to clear the lists of motor positions and channel charts) and now I am get 0% on both Quality and Signal on C Band

I hook it back up to the SuperBuddy and am told I am on SatMex 5 with a strong 80 signal quality.

I hooked up my other FTA dish which is KU and am able to see signal from that.

I also hooked up that dish to the AZ box and that is also seeing ku signal.

Only thing left is the LNB itself, but why was it picking up signal before the factory reset but not after. (And the SuperBuddy is still seeing the signal as well)

On both receivers not seeing any C Band now. But again hook it up to the Superbuddy and have an 80 signal on the same transponder.

I dont get it.

Time for bed. :(

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 192
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 194
My Pansat shows zero quality until I scan the satellite, then it locks in. Maybe yours is similar.

The AZbox was inside, and you tried the others outside and they worked correct? if so you may have a cable or switch problem inside the house, did you try hooking the AZbox direct?

It's a motorized dish. Except for initial setup, skew adjustment isn't needed. :) Also one receiver is working but not the other one.

I know it's a motorized i'm the one who tracked it for Scott A C-band LNBF can be fine tuned i don't like using them for a dish that can do the full American arc but i didn't sell him the material there is room to fine tune by just rotating it a couple of degrees the dish is a very flat one high gain but that not good for this set up what would be good is a deep dish your signal to noise would go down i saw a satellite transponer side lobe getting into another satellite on his dish with my SA if he knew i was near him and have been doing C-Band since 1982 i would have given him a great dish for free i have done a lot of FTA on C-band for the Portuguese people in our state but most were fixed and used a CLNBF if the lnbf is just a hair off locking is very hard on a flat dish like he has because of all the bleed over from satellite to satellite
Gary Diamond
DIAMOND SATELLITE SYSTEMS
Southbury CT

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)