Scott's Crystal Ball Prdictions (A PLEA TO DISH NETWORK)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Everyone keeps mentioning the midnight calls on the 1st. What timezone is that applicable to? What I mean is, what timezone will the DISH computers and CSRs be looking at for the promotions and the new equipment?

Very well put, Scott. Dish needs a transition period. This whole rush to MPEG4 is crazy. Now the equipment may not even be ready. Please Dish, just let us see the new national channels in MPEG2 and I will be more than happy to subscribe to the new HD Silver from my AT120 with HD and VOOM. I believe that is $ 5 more a month, and I have no problem with that. They need to let us upgrade to the new HD package and use our old equipment for now.

Good suggestion Scott. Thanks for the effort. I can hang onto my 921 for a while longer, to give "E" time to get the bugs out of the 622. Just let me sign up for, and receive, the new package in the meantime.

The best solution that I can think of in which Dish Network would agree to would be to allow those that currently have the MPEG-2 HD receivers to receive the new HD channels on their receivers if they order and pay for the MPEG-4 HD receivers. They will receive the upgrade when the receiver becomes available. Once all of the receivers are swapped out then all of the MPEG-2 HD receivers would not receive the additional HD channels anymore.

Those that do not have an HD receiver yet would have to wait since Dish Network would not want anybody to go out and buy an MPEG-2 HD receiver to buy the new channels.

John Kotches said:
Oh there's a few others in there. Don't forget, this is a PC which happens to be dedicated to a function (satellite reception), running Linux.

Care to hazard a guess how many chips are on a typical PC?

There's the HDMI chipset, not to mention the Video Processor board, the network ASIC (ViP remember) and quite a few others.

You've jumped to a conclusion with too little information.

All of the chips you mentioned, aside from ethernet are on the 942. And all of those chips work. As for ethernet access, those chips have been around for eons of time, and it is highly unlikely that an existing ethernet chip would have issues large enough to stop production. So, it makes me wonder what the issue is. The only one of significance is the MPEG-4 decoder, but that is on the 211 and it is shipping.

Here is another question for Scott :

Since you made this great intelligent suggestion. What do you think the odds are Dish actually does this ?

Weezknight said:
Like I said they don't sound that exciting, but I'm sure a week with UHD or ESPN2-HD, and I'll be ringing them for my upgrade ASAP.

"they don't sound that exciting" This is exactly what I am thinking. These new bundles are not going to be cheap. From what I have read here.. its looks like HD will cost about 20 bucks.. considerably more then the HD pack now.. twice in fact.

So Charlie turns the switch on so we can all preview or buy the new channels on our old equipment.. And if we don't like it.. no biggie just downgrade. Don't think Charlie wants to risk that. He wants us to lease a new mpeg 4 receiver, enter into a long contract saying we have to be in the bronze, silver etc.. HD pack. I think Dish wants to make us commit harder to these new HD channels. Probably thinks that if we go to all the trouble of swapping out receivers, we will less likely drop out of the service. And if you send back your leased 811HD to do this, you probably won't be able to just do the cheaper HD pack anymore. From the look of the new packs.. they are bundling everything together. Personally, I wish they would still bundle Voom separately. But I feel strong that Charlie wants us to go though the hassel of upgrading to a mpeg4 for the privilage of viewing the new content.

I will let you guys in on a secret which was emailed to me a few minutes ago.

I guess there is a new firmware version out that works on both the 942 / 622.

I don't know any more about it then that, but if its true (and the Datastream shows it is indeed true) then the 942 / 622 are VERY close in relation.

I wasn't too happy myself with E*'s new metalic packages that make you pay for a bunch of HD content I have no interest in (VOOM) and the $300 upgrade fee for an HD DVR, so this all just confirms my decision to drop E* and switch to cable this week. There's a lot of things I like about E*, but their pricing scheme just makes cable look like a sweetheart of a deal (thought I'd never say that), especially when bundling.

As I understand it, the AE platinum package with HD is $10 more than the standard AE package. Now I have AE + Voom + HD and I think that it is around $15. So if that is the case my bill will actually drop $5 with the platinum package.

Dish will be making a classic blunder if they exclude their existing, and pioneer, HD customers from receiving any available new programming that requires basically unavailable hardware. Heads should roll.

There is a big difference between this and the analogy of a computer upgrade and that is you don't pay $115/ a month for the privilege of running a computer.

Hey Scott, Can you find out what time zone E* is considering as Feb 1st? If it is East Coast than most can call about 9pm Pacific time. If it is Pacific Time, that would make it 3AM on the East Coast. With the 811 they would not take orders until 8AM Eastern Time. Man, I hope there is a good game on so I can stay awake-- Only 200 -- boy somebodys are gonna be lucky?

downriver said:
There is a big difference between this and the analogy of a computer upgrade and that is you don't pay $115/ a month for the privilege of running a computer.

Don't give Microsoft any ideas! :eek:

jsanders said:
All of the chips you mentioned, aside from ethernet are on the 942. And all of those chips work. As for ethernet access, those chips have been around for eons of time, and it is highly unlikely that an existing ethernet chip would have issues large enough to stop production. So, it makes me wonder what the issue is. The only one of significance is the MPEG-4 decoder, but that is on the 211 and it is shipping.

Components are transitioning through a major phase right now that changed the makeup of nearly every part made recently. The European Union has initiated a deadline of June this year with a Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) that above all else eliminates the use of lead, a primary component in solder. Companies have had to change to this leadfree solder which changes many processes.

Some of the circuit designs we build have had to change because some part manufacturers not only changed the solder on the parts, but also some electrical characteristics at the same time.

Also, the company manufacturing the 622 may have ran the assemblies in a RoHS compliant process but had a component not designed for RoHS (the temperature to melt the new composition of solder is higher than that of leaded solder, which can damage the part).

In summary, the 622 can be affected in some way that does not affect other receivers.

I strongly support Dish recanting their previous statements and allowing all HD receivers to receive the new channels until some specific date, such as June 1 or July 1. I wrote in multiple threads over the past three weeks that I hoped Dish would come to the senses and not alienate their highest tier HD customers by denying them extra channels for artificial (MPEG4 headers) reasons.

Now with this new info that 622s are going to be delayed in their deployment, there is all the more reason for Dish to "do the right thing" in the name of good customer relations.

If my very best customers are HD subs with AT packages with HD DVRs, I would have to be insane to release an upgrade that cuts them out of it for an extended period.

If I ran a foreign auto repair service and was about to release a new line of services, why would I make it available to only new customers with Toyota Corollas & maybe even Honda Accords, yet tell my existing BMW & Mercedes customers that they would have to wait a few months before I would allow them to buy it. Even though nothing was stopping me from making the service available to them.

Why would I be surprised if in three months I find that my BMW customers have gone elsewhere?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Do local Dishnetwork dealers honor the dishn it up deal?

Hypothetical system manipulation...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)