Scott's Crystal Ball Prdictions (A PLEA TO DISH NETWORK)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Like I said before.. Charlie won't do this because he does not want people to try out the new channels.. and decide they don't need Mpeg4 receivers. He wants us to take the plunge right away into leasing/buying a new receiver and sign a long contract for one of the metallic bundles.

That way, our imaginations on how great these new packages are can sell the service. If we get these today, with current equipment, there is nothing left to the imagination. We would know very quickly if the mpeg4 package is worth the extra money. I personally think that Dish will recruit more subs into the metallic tiers in the long run if they make people wait. In the short haul, they will lose money on people ordering it today. But if they did, many of those probably would not upgrade later? I think Dish has known all along that they could not possible supply everyone with hardware at the Feb 1 launch. This has been well thought out as far as marketing and selling the new mpeg4 service IMHO.

We need to contact the Dish Marketing department they can make this all happen.
Let pretend here . . .

From Dish Marketing

To Charlie,

Dear Charlie,

We need to have a HD Preview of the new channels?. We will then get people wanting the new HD Channels and wanting to dish out the cash for the new MPEG4 boxes? It wont cost us that much to offer the preview and we will gain even more subs to the new HD Packages.

Thanks

Dish Marketing.

IMHO, I don't think DISH is going to make ANY general changes to benefit the
customer. For Some reason, Charlie decided mpeg4 and the current time is
when he really starts to milk all the customers as much as he can.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I will let you guys in on a secret which was emailed to me a few minutes ago.

I guess there is a new firmware version out that works on both the 942 / 622.

I don't know any more about it then that, but if its true (and the Datastream shows it is indeed true) then the 942 / 622 are VERY close in relation.
A somewhat cryptic series of comments... :what

Scott, are you suggesting the firmware update might allow 942's to receive the MPEG4 headered programming? :hungry:

samatha6 said:
Like I said before.. Charlie won't do this because he does not want people to try out the new channels.. and decide they don't need Mpeg4 receivers. He wants us to take the plunge right away into leasing/buying a new receiver and sign a long contract for one of the metallic bundles.

That way, our imaginations on how great these new packages are can sell the service. If we get these today, with current equipment, there is nothing left to the imagination. We would know very quickly if the mpeg4 package is worth the extra money. I personally think that Dish will recruit more subs into the metallic tiers in the long run if they make people wait. In the short haul, they will lose money on people ordering it today. But if they did, many of those probably would not upgrade later? I think Dish has known all along that they could not possible supply everyone with hardware at the Feb 1 launch. This has been well thought out as far as marketing and selling the new mpeg4 service IMHO.
Everyone will have to upgrade to MPEG4 eventually. I don't understand your reasoning. How will Dish lose money in the short haul by having us order the new packages? If they stay the course, how many people will be ordering the new tiers on Wed.? Not many. However, if Dish makes the new channels available to all, they won't have enough CSR's available to keep up with demand on 2/1. If Dish decides to make them available to all, I suspect that once you upgrade to a metallic package, there's no going back to a pre 2/1 package. E* will get their 18 month commitments when MPEG4 receivers are readily available. ( including 622s )

Allin4greeN said:
A somewhat cryptic series of comments... :what

Scott, are you suggesting the firmware update might allow 942's to receive the MPEG4 headered programming? :hungry:

No thats not it, its just that it appears the 942 and 622 are close enough that they can run the same firmware.

I think if Scott was head of Dish he would have the best company.....he would have the HD channels the way they should be and not add stupid stuff we don't need or watch

dont24 said:
Everyone will have to upgrade to MPEG4 eventually. I don't understand your reasoning. How will Dish lose money in the short haul by having us order the new packages? If they stay the course, how many people will be ordering the new tiers on Wed.? Not many. However, if Dish makes the new channels available to all, they won't have enough CSR's available to keep up with demand on 2/1. If Dish decides to make them available to all, I suspect that once you upgrade to a metallic package, there's no going back to a pre 2/1 package. E* will get their 18 month commitments when MPEG4 receivers are readily available. ( including 622s )

On thinking about this you may be right. About the only reason that I can think why they are waiting is because of the Dish 1000 requirements.. I understand that alot of people on this forum probably already have a dish pointed at 61.5, but the vast majority of their customer base does not. I guess they don't want to bother with subs trying to get installers out to put in a dish 1000 and then have to send them out again when the mpeg4 receiver is ready? They probably want to install the dish/new receiver on one go? I understand most hear can do that work themselfs.. but they probably want to make the whole process of swithing over unified.
Any other guesses why Charlie wants to put mpeg4 headers on a mpeg2 stream?

Last edited:
samatha6 said:
There has to be some kind of marketing reason behind why they are doing it this way... And marketing is all based on money$$ making.. So I go back to what I said before, in dishes eyes they are doing it this way to make more money. Why is anybodies guess. I gave my opinions as to why.
I agree with you here. Dish, like any other company is out to make money. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in an E* marketing meeting. Would be interesting to know what the reasoning is behind some of these programming and hardware decisions.

samatha6 said:
On thinking about this you may be right. About the only reason that I can think why they are waiting is because of the Dish 1000 requirements.. I understand that alot of people on this forum probably already have a dish pointed at 61.5, but the vast majority of their customer base does not. I guess they don't want to bother with subs trying to get installers out to put in a dish 1000 and then have to send them out again when the mpeg4 receiver is ready? They probably want to install the dish/new receiver on one go? I understand most hear can do that work themselfs.. but they probably want to make the whole process of swithing over unified.
Any other guesses why Charlie wants to put mpeg4 headers on a mpeg2 stream?
My understanding is that the Dish 1000 cannot get the 61.5 Sat, just 110, 119 and 129.

It looks like the other site is reporting that there will be about 10,000 622s available in Feb and another 40,000 in March. It will be interesting to see who has the better information.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=51791

I'm not picking sides here, I just thought I would bring this point into the discussion.

Edited: to add "who"

Scott Greczkowski said:
No thats not it, its just that it appears the 942 and 622 are close enough that they can run the same firmware.

Your source missed important part - those spooling pieces of software common for 942 and 622 are just additional software, actually games. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Do local Dishnetwork dealers honor the dishn it up deal?

Hypothetical system manipulation...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)