Scott's Crystal Ball Prdictions (A PLEA TO DISH NETWORK)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
lakebum431 said:
It looks like the other site is reporting that there will be about 10,000 622s available in Feb and another 40,000 in March. It will be interesting to see who has the better information.

If it turns out that there is a good supply coming down the pipe, then the plea to dish network will be falling on def ears, as the reason for the plea isn't there.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
i trust my information since it came from the executive offices, and I also know a few other members who got basically the same information.

I would love it if it was true we have a lot of folks waiting for one on the DishStore.NET waiting list.

I have a feeling Jeff's eyes are brown. :)

HokieEngineer

Proud Staff Member
Oct 13, 2003
Smith said:
Your source missed important part - those spooling pieces of software common for 942 and 622 are just additional software, actually games. :D

Ah ha! So that explains why it is spooling for 942/622/625/522. :)

However there hasn't been a general release firmware for the 622s yet. Well, they have 2 days...

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Hmm why would the games be a seperate part oof the update? And what exactly would those games be? (the 721 has games you could play)

csschrot

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Lincoln Ne
I may not make to many friends with these thoughts but here I go.

Ok I have a been reading this and a many other threads that have to do with the new HD channels (mpeg 4 or not). I think it would be great if DISH would just do them in MPEG-2 to start but here is my thought. If DISH would do this (since we are being told they are acutuall MPEG-2 anyway) and said that by Aug 1st 2006 these channels will change to MPEG-4, it is your responibilty to have MPEG-4 receiver in place before the switch, would that make you happy?

Would you then purchase or upgrade your receiver with the plans they have announced?

I thought the purpose of the M-4 (for short) conversion was to allow for more channels so to me it doesn't make sense to leave the channels in M-2 for the long haul, hence the reason for the M-4 headers.

I think that DISH is in a no win situation here.

JMO
Shawn

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
This is what we've all been proposing. To give us a free preview, or even allow us (MPEG2 receiver owners) the option to upgrade to the new HD Pak while Dish gets its MPEG4 hardware into full production. All of us want Dish to eventually, or even as soon as possible, move to MPEG4. Just make sure we can come along for the ride and not have to sit on premium receivers that can't get all of the channels for months.

I don't see Dish as in a no-win at all. We would be very supportive of a well-oiled rollout of MPEG4. However I don't have all of the info they have, so perhaps there are "gotchas" that we aren't taking into proper consideration.

kcribb1

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 3, 2004
211 / 622 & Mpeg4

What's the big rush to switch? There is virtually no difference between MPEG2 and MPEG4. As a matter of fact, MPEG2 has a better overall picture quality than MPEG4. The purpose of MPEG-4 is to create a watchable image at extremely low bandiwdth, thus, creating more room for channels - not better quality! Don't buy into all the hype and hysteria. If you have the 811 or 942, you will not miss out on much come 2/1. Chill out!!

Tom Bombadil

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
May 5, 2005
Chicago-Milwaukee Region
Hey, I happen to like several of the VOOM channels, and like college basketball on ESPN2. So I do want the new channels coming out on 2/1.

OTOH, I get all of the networks in HD via OTA and rarely ever watch them. I think its been almost two weeks since I watched anything from them. I'd trade the whole lot of them for a couple of decent HD movie channels.

lakebum431

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 5, 2005
Norris, TN
I agree Tom, I don't care about the networks, but I really want ESPN2 HD for the college basketball. I'll move to the 622 as soon as the rebate is available (which I think is a reasonable deal - $99 after rebate), but I'm not going to pay another $300 after I already paid for the 942.

csschrot

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Lincoln Ne
That is the thing Tom, we will have to replace that, as you put it, "premium" receiver anyway.

So if you don't mind, I take it you are saying that if DISH would do your upgrade right now you have no problem with the money side of it? If that is the case then I was wrong. However the general feel I get it that people are not happen about the cost, now or later, and that is why I said it is a no win situation for DISH.

Shawn

jsanders

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
Scott Greczkowski said:
i trust my information since it came from the executive offices, and I also know a few other members who got basically the same information.

I would love it if it was true we have a lot of folks waiting for one on the DishStore.NET waiting list.

I have a feeling Jeff's eyes are brown. :)

I hope that you are wrong too. I admit it, I pre-ordered my 622 just a few days after CES. :devil:

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 11, 2004
East Coast
As a retailer, it's very odd that DISH is not releasing the full details of the new Q1 2006 DHA and DISH'n It Up promos this late before launching them. Usually you'll hear about 'em on the facts blasts way in advance on most of the important details. So maybe DISH is sitting on the edge on whether to push everything back a month or so. They're very late on everything from marketing materials to the rules on the new promos. They're either hush-hush or something's up like Scott is mentioning here.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
Keep in mind that Feb 01 is an uplink day :D... to forewarn people. Between 1pm CST and 3PM CST I don't post uplink reports as I'm away at that moment but usually if I'm home before then I will post if there is any activity. Lets hope its some good activity this week :) I suspect we will see some Olympic stuff turn on this week if not next week. among other things. ;) Just speculation though :)

Stargazer

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Western WV
Welcome to Satelliteguys.us Lexi51. You do not live all that far from me. Glad to see some more people from the area on the site.

Dish Network should just charge people that want the MPEG-4 receiver the money upfront for a pre-order then allow them to get the channels. This will prevent people from thinking they can keep the receiver that they have now to get the new channels.

calikarim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 19, 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Dish Management Hopeless

I am a dish subscriber for last 7 years and i am aghast at the incompetance of its leadership. The ceo has no clue when mpeg 4 is coming and then gives misleading statements about the need for new receiver. Millions buy MPEG 2 receivers based on his word and get screwed. I am out $700 for my Dish 6000, another $699 for my 942 which i have had for a few months, and now another $200 for upgrading to MPEG 4, 622 receivers, just to watch hd, and they are still transmitting in mPeg 2, cheating receivers in to thinking that it is an MPEG 4 signal, that is just the reciever end of it.

I had a dish 5000, then i have to add 61.5, now we all have to get Dish 1000, upgrade all out switches, first i had Dish 21, then i upgraded to Dish 64 switches, now we have to get Dish pro equipment get DP 44 switches.

Am i crazy or does this sound ridiculous to get HD> I miss Voom soooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

With cable or fios tv all you need is one cable out to tv. This is too much. My 70 year old father loved dish now hates it too complicated. He is heart patient, all this tension is killing him.

If you HD fans had supported voom , we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense.

Dish management please change your policy, any MBA student will tell you this is ridiculous

Last edited:

Reefer123

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 8, 2005
20 Miles from OTA Towers :)
I agree with everything that has been said, the problem is that we are a pimple on E* ass. We saw what happened with the Voom channels and now this. The problem is we make up anywhere from 1-3% of the HD subs that E*. So they have that small of a percentage complaining, yet most here are already in line to get the new MPEG4 receivers so they could care less.

I think the percentage of HD users that know of the new channels being launched visit forums, otherwise they are oblivious to the entire situation.

Petemc11

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 2, 2003
I'm just waiting till the dust settles before I get a 622 or any additional programming.Dish has a habit of going back on their promises.It seems that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing.I think Chuck is on crack.

New_User_Name

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 10, 2005
To all of the people out there excited about watching basketball on ESPN2-HD must not watch much on ESPN-HD.
There is still a lot of SD garbage, I mean games, being shown on ESPN-HD. What makes you think ESPN2-HD is going to be any different?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)