Scott's DirecTV Review (DirecTV -VS- Dish)

Status
Please reply by conversation.
VOD via satellite will very likely be MPEG2 as that will be the only way of delivering it to the R15; a platform design goal from 2004.

I wouldnt rule that out. Directv has promised hundreds of HD VOD and I would guess the best way to deliver that big of files would be MPEG4 via sat for very popular titles.

Actually the vast majority of VOD will be delivered via broadband Internet. Only a few of the most popular titles will be via sat.

Actually the vast majority of VOD will be delivered via broadband Internet. Only a few of the most popular titles will be via sat.

Exactly right. So no one should rule out MPEG4 HD or any use of Spaceways for delivering that unless we have SPECIFIC configuration details from Directv. At this point, all of us are speculating.

For the sports nuts, is the decrease in SD picture quality bearable with all the extra sports options over what E* has to offer? I need my Big Ten Network!

I currently have E* for what its worth.

Last edited:
For the sports nuts, is the decrease in SD picture quality bearable with all the extra sports options over what E* has to offer? I need my Big Ten Network!
I've been watching sports in SD on my Sony 57-inch RPTV for over 3 years and it looks better than the analog cable that I also have available. It helps to understand how the format and resolution settings for both your satellite receiver and your TV work in combination with each other. Certainly HD (even HD Lite as some detractors call it) is better and I watch in HD if I have a choice.

I have been quiet lately because nothing really interesting to report.

I missed this weekends CE, which are the first CE releases I have missed since getting DirecTV, I do hope we see the VOD CE soon, that will be very exciting and hopefully it will give folks something to do instead of moaning about DirecTV's HD quality.

I think its safe to say that we all know that DirecTV's MPEG2 HD looks like crap but I feel it silly for us to pass judgement on what DirecTV's new HD channels will look like when the new satellite goes online. If the HD quality looks anything like my MPEG4 HD locals from DirecTV then I think the future is bright for HD on DirecTV.

Oh course I will state that since it appears that DirecTV is staking its future on High Definition, it better give us High Definition, not HD Lite. In other words its time for DirecTV to put up or shut up.

Sure some of their announced HD channels will not look good at launch because the channels will not be broadcasting in HD until the spring, but for those channels which are true HD, I expect them to look pristiene. Anything less could be bad for DirecTV.

Something interesting... I learned today that Dish Network will be launching SNY HD on 7/11 in MPEG4. Since I also get SNY HD from DirecTV in MPEG4 it will be very interesting to see the differences in picture quality. Of course I will report my findings. :)

This is a very exciting time to be a SatelliteGuy. :D

I have been quiet lately because nothing really interesting to report.

I missed this weekends CE, which are the first CE releases I have missed since getting DirecTV, I do hope we see the VOD CE soon, that will be very exciting and hopefully it will give folks something to do instead of moaning about DirecTV's HD quality.

According to Earl at you know where, VOD will be available before D10 is.

That would be great.

Looking at the last CE notes from Earl, it appears that release is close of what folks have been testing in the CE. :)

Yeah, they appear to be really fine-tuning this one. I haven't been able to tell any difference between the last few, so a national release sounds very likely.

I agree the past few CE releases have been very dull and most under the hood. Mine's been working fine with each release so no real changes for me.

The biggest things other then under the hood type stuff has been:

1) Getting autocorrection tuned in
2) Lots of work on the Media Bridge

Methinks they want to get those knocked out before VOD.

Ok. I took the plunge and brought an HR20-700 home from my office and got it turned on for my home use. And I have to say I am pretty impressed with it. I have been installing them for a while but never really got the chance to spend more than a few minutes with it during setup. So far I only have one small issue with it.

Is there anything coming or anything now that will allow me to change the direction of the guide.. Something in my head just wants to see the guide go up in channel numbers when I hit the channel up button. Is there anyway to reverse the way the guide goes when you hit the buttons.

Very biased review the original post. Comment that sports channels are hidden away in the 600s channels sounds like somebody is complaining about nothing. How 600 is different from any other number?

But I am really surprised with the following statement:

"could see pixels and big blocks appear on the screen, especially when there was any kind of motion."

I my 2 years installing Directv I never seen pixels or blocks unless there was or tree blocking the dish. How do you get pixels on a brand new install? And we talking standard non-HD channels.....

OK here is my review DIrectv vs Dish vs Cable. In big cities cable is great and you cant install dishes on apartments. Thats an unbiased review. In small areas cable sux because there is no money to repair it. People love satellite in small remote locations. So we only can compare Directv to Dish. If properly installed with the newest equipment and receivers I believe both these services will be comparable and equal to each other in all aspects: price, channel lineup, quality of picture, receiver features.
In my personal experience I can tell that definitely Directv beats Dish at least in customer service. But in real life it is case by case and both sides can tell you horror stories and there also a lot of happy customers with both companies.
One thing I like about DIsh Network is the way they always mark their power cords and cable there is a red sticker helps a lot behind that entertainment center with a spider web of power cords to recognize and unplug Dish receivers. Love it. Thanks Dish.

Very biased review the original post. Comment that sports channels are hidden away in the 600s channels sounds like somebody is complaining about nothing. How 600 is different from any other number?

But I am really surprised with the following statement:

"could see pixels and big blocks appear on the screen, especially when there was any kind of motion."

I my 2 years installing Directv I never seen pixels or blocks unless there was or tree blocking the dish. How do you get pixels on a brand new install? And we talking standard non-HD channels.....

We are talking about HD channels most of the time when we mention pixelization. When you go from HD to SD, to me it's like looking at the TV through a screen door. Very soft and sometimes blurry.

We are talking about HD channels most of the time when we mention pixelization. When you go from HD to SD, to me it's like looking at the TV through a screen door. Very soft and sometimes blurry.

Scott in original post was talking about both SD and HD and he specifically mentioned pixels and blocks on SD channels.

As to switching from HD to SD I can tell you from personal experience a lot depends on TV brand and how much you paid for it. Cheap HDTVs have terrible SD picture, you better off with good old SDTV. On the other hand if you look at top of the line HDTVs you can see that picture on regular channels doesnt bother you that much. Its the same like on standard TVs while HD picture is crystal clear.

Not a cheap TV, its a Sony SXRD, calibrated by Gregg Loewen.

Remember you can polish a turd and have it look better. A turd is a turd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)