Scott's VOOM install and first impressions

Scott. I had 3 oclock installations also. Did you have Tim and Tye? If so, that wasn't there first install. When they was at my house last week I got the impression that they were the only 2 that worked for the company. Tim told me he was the owner. I also was not happy with the mess they left. I did not let them hook up the diplexor. Told them I wanted 2 separate lines to reciever, he tried to argue and I told him it wasn't negotiable. The day after install it rained and I lost signal. Had to go out and repeak the dish. Someone that didn't know anything about satellites would of gone running back to cable. Made the add cable runs about losing satellite signal in rain look true. I think Voom should use the 24" dish. I also have a Denon reciever and haven't had any of the problems with sound you talked about. I kept my digital cable to watch the SD channels and to have ppv. I just changed programmng to cheapest package they had. I figure I will try it that way for a few months and if we aren't watching cable much I can cancel it then. Also have to wait until WTIC and WTXX put up there permanent antenna so I can get all the CT channels without the cable. I canceled Dish last year because of the compression on SD.

My Voom Install is on Monday

Well after reading everyones comments I will wait with baited breath on monday between 12-5pm. I already have a channel master OTA antenna I installed but I cant get channel 2 which is CBS in Chicago. It will be interesting to see if these installers are experianced or not. I will keep my subscription to Dish until I am satisfied with Voom. I asked Voom if we will be getting CBS HD and they said at some point it would be added. We will see...

Bill

I believe I am getting all my VOOM Channels, however not my OTA Channels.

I am only getting
WFSB 33-1
WTNH 10-1
WTXX 12-1

What I am missing is
WWLP 11-1 through 11-3
WGGB 55-1
WGBY 58-1 through 58-4 (HD at night between 7 and 11pm)
WUVN 46 -1
WVIT 35 -1
WTIC 31-1

All these I receive fine with my Dish 6000 and Dish 921. :)

Now I want to say something about the installers, the installers were GOOD GUYS, it was obvious that they were new do doing this, and that got them some slack from me. My comments are made as constructive criticizm and not to get these guys in trouble or fired, I really believe these guys will be good installers when they get wet behind the ears.

Yes I said the SD Channels look like crap. I don't know if some of you have seen DBS and Digital Cable side by side, but VOOM Channels look like Digital Cable Channels. Its hard to explain but if you saw the pictures side by side you would know what I am talking about. :)

Scott WVIT and WTIC were added today. you might want to try a factory reset. Ask Sean.

Here's the instructions for factory reset. You might have to do this more than once if the channels do not come up after 10-15 minutes.

Press the following buttons on the remote control unit:
a. VoOm
b. Green Button (To access Options and Settings screen)
c. Select "System Settings" menu option
d. Select option 8 "Installation Settings"
e. Press "9 8 8" on the remote control unit.
f. The "System Configuration" menu will have the following options:
(1) Manual Tune
(2) SD Audio and Video Test
(3) HD Audio and Video Test
(4) Modem Setup & Test
(5) Authorization Reset
(6) Factory Reset
(7) Audio Test Mode

The STB might default to 720p and you will need to adjust the resolution to 1080i. If you get weird numbers on the OTA mapping, do a reboot by holding power button for 5 seconds and letting go.

pmalve said:
Scott. I had 3 oclock installations also. Did you have Tim and Tye?
I didn't get the name of the guys, On the paperwork I signed I do believe I saw the name Tyrone. (They didn't leave me any paperwork other then the VOOM welcome kit), but they didn't introduce themselves they just said they were here to put in VOOM.

I do believe one guy never did an install before as one of the guys was teaching the other about the cable, and how this part of the cable was shielding and this part is the messenger wire... As I said they were not bad guys and we very polite.

Let's hope they at WTIC and WVIT to the lineup since the power they are running now is the power they will be running for another year. :) (My company owns the WTIC antenna on RattleSnake Mountain.) :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
I didn't get the name of the guys, On the paperwork I signed I do believe I saw the name Tyrone. (They didn't leave me any paperwork other then the VOOM welcome kit), but they didn't introduce themselves they just said they were here to put in VOOM.

I do believe one guy never did an install before as one of the guys was teaching the other about the cable, and how this part of the cable was shielding and this part is the messenger wire... As I said they were not bad guys and we very polite.

Let's hope they at WTIC and WVIT to the lineup since the power they are running now is the power they will be running for another year. :) (My company owns the WTIC antenna on RattleSnake Mountain.) :D

Am very disapointed I can't get WTIC. Achase said they were going to be at a much greater power than WFSB and I get a good lock on that with no problem. WVIT signal is as strong as WTNH. They must have put up there permanent antenna. Does WTXXDT broadcast from there also? I think the problem I am having with that is that I dont have preamp switch set to VHF/UHF. I think WTXX is channel 12. It might be set for only UHF. Am going to pull antenna down this weekend and check it.

Yes WTXX brodcasts from the same tower (its lower down the tower)

I am going to try going up the tower in the next week and take some pictures. :)

WTXX is Channel 12.

Its confusing all these channels are all next to each other...

WTHN 10
WWLP 11
WTXX 12

WFSB 33
WHPX 34
WTIC 35

Sean : My install was 2/28/04 and the two guys were nice. There first Voom install . I had to tell them to point the to 61.5 for the sat signal. They only used one cable to hook up and use a splitter at the reciever for sat and ota signals. Now they had one going to the sat picture ok but the ota was connected next to the audio optic area. I could not get ota until the next day inwhich I connected the ota lead to the far right connection in the funny looking gray thing....( Is this the 8vsb ? ) What ever it is called when I connected it I had ota signals with all channels. HD=Voom

My 2 cents......audio problems most likely caused by poor aiming on the dish, you might try a little repointing, you should be able to do better than a 44 signal

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes WTXX brodcasts from the same tower (its lower down the tower)

I am going to try going up the tower in the next week and take some pictures. :)

WTXX is Channel 12.

Its confusing all these channels are all next to each other...

WTHN 10
WWLP 11
WTXX 12

WFSB 33
WHPX 34
WTIC 35

WTXX is lower than WTIC on the tower?

Ok an update. After I got home I rewired things a bit and am happy to report I now have audio and video. Things are looking good.

I did the system reset that Sean showed above and was able to get WTIC and WVIT in my guide.

I replaced the batteries in my remote and still it is super sensitive. I am going to order a harmony remote tommorow and that will take care of that problem.

I do wish VOOM had a full screen guide. :)

I did notice I am missing a few channels (most noticable Bravo HD)

The picture looks great on the HD which is why I got VOOM. :) I am starting to like it better.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The picture looks great on the HD which is why I got VOOM. :) I am starting to like it better.

Glad things are looking up. Bravo, Max, & soon Encore HD will help forget the startup issues :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
Scott's VOOM Install and First Impressions

They decided to run the cable down to my basement, and then up into my living room. In doing this they drilled 2 half inch holes into my house, the first hole they filled back in with waterproof caulking because they couldn’t reach the hole inside the house. (I think they should have checked out things better before popping holes in the house..)

Ok, around here its me that is the addict. Hubby would would be screaming about the holes in the house. Actually, he would probably run the lines into the house himself and only let the guys hook them up on each end. And he would be standing there watching while they did it.

Scott.... With all the VOOM installer problems is there a way to see where the people that post the problems are located? It would be nice to know if there are any areas where the installers are more competent.

The reason the VOOM remote sucks is because it is the identical remote Cablevision uses for its Digital cable service (named iO). Here are two pictures of the remotes one from VOOM and one from iO. You can tell these were done on the cheap.
If there is one thing Motorola can build; it is remote controls. Star Choice uses Motorola remote controls for its service for practically the same set top VOOM uses. Why VOOM chose to not use a good Motorola remote is beyond me.

Attachments

• Cablevision%27s%20Remote%20Control.jpg
    Cablevision%27s%20Remote%20Control.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 195
  • voom remote.JPG
    voom remote.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 188
Star Choice STB

I have never in 2 years had my Star Choice box lock up on me.

Bill

SatelliteGAL said:
It would be nice to know if there are any areas where the installers are more competent.
I'm on the South Shore of Massachusetts and can HIGHLY recommend Installs Inc. and especially Julius who did my Voom installation (and my DirecTV installation 2 years ago). I believe Julius is based out of Rhode Island. Julius was friendly, smart, fast, timely and tidy and didn't cut any corners. Back in December he already knew enough to dump the diplexer and run separate lines.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)