GEOSATpro Screen Flickers to Blank Screen When Changing Channels

Andrew K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 30, 2011
Akron, Ohio
I got my MicroHD yesterday and set it up last night. One thing I noticed right away is that the screen sometimes goes blank for about a second when I flip the channels. Is that normal? I have the latest 8/29 firmware. Flipping channels doesn’t seem to be very smoothly done. Sometimes the channel information box flickers or whatever.

Check the menu for System Setup>>> TV System. You probably have selected "Source". If you select source, your TV /Monitor must adjust it's resolution with each channel change.

It would be better to select the highest resolution that your TV / Monitor will support. When a resolution is selected, your display will not need to reset during each channel change and the image will smoothly transition and typically appear in less than a second.

Check the menu for System Setup>>> TV System. You probably have selected "Source". If you select source, your TV /Monitor must adjust it's resolution with each channel change.

It would be better to select the highest resolution that your TV / Monitor will support. When a resolution is selected, your display will not need to reset during each channel change and the image will smoothly transition and typically appear in less than a second.

That doesn't seem to be the problem. Even when I'm flipping radio channels, it happens. I have that setting set to 720p.

Does this also occur on the composite video output? Do you have another HDMI TV/monitor to connect and compare?

The microHD does cut to black between video channel changes, but there should be no background image change in the radio mode.

Does this also occur on the composite video output? Do you have another HDMI TV/monitor to connect and compare?

The microHD does cut to black between video channel changes, but there should be no background image change in the radio mode.

Hmmm... I tried the composite video cable provided in the package, and it doesn't have that problem anymore. But that takes away my HD. Looks like it could either be the HDMI cable or the TV.

Most likely a HDMI handshake issue between the receiver and the monitor. Are there any devices between the microHD and the monitor?

The MicroHD is plugged directly to my TV's HDMI-1 input, and the issue still exists. It's quite annoying. I switched to the HDMI-2 input, but the problem is still there. When I switch to composite video and plug the red/white/yellow plugs to the TV's input... it works just fine. However, I don't want to do that and lose my HD picture.

Try looking at the problem when on 97W ( has lots of channels and transponders) . What I'm seeing is almost a 1 sec blackness delay WHEN I CHANGE TRANSPONDERS, but not when I remain on the same transponder. See if perhaps that's not what you're seeing, which is a result, I suspect of the MicroHD tuning in the new transponder settings. :)

Try looking at the problem when on 97W ( has lots of channels and transponders) . What I'm seeing is almost a 1 sec blackness delay WHEN I CHANGE TRANSPONDERS, but not when I remain on the same transponder. See if perhaps that's not what you're seeing, which is a result, I suspect of the MicroHD tuning in the new transponder settings. :)

Interesting thought, but it can't be that. I remember flipping through a bunch of audio channels on the same TP, and it was still flickering the black screen.

----- flicker the black screen --- checking for signal to display?? just my thought... And another mouthy thought since I have NO idea what I am saying -- Is the receiver out and the TV HDMI in locked to the same resolution? My TV manual warns that the TV may take 10 seconds to locate the proper resolution if it is set to auto detect.

----- flicker the black screen --- checking for signal to display?? just my thought... And another mouthy thought since I have NO idea what I am saying -- Is the receiver out and the TV HDMI in locked to the same resolution? My TV manual warns that the TV may take 10 seconds to locate the proper resolution if it is set to auto detect.

I checked my TV's settings, and I don't remember seeing anywhere to adjust the TV's resolution. I know it's 1080P capable. When the black screen flickers, it seems to be trying to auto detect the resolution for about a second.

My periodic blank screen problem is quite different. Everything works well except in views where a window pops up; ie. Signal, Info, DVR and Timer button modes. Here I get a black screen alternating with what should actually be there and it does this every few seconds. It does not affect functionality, just makes it difficult to know sometimes which button you pressed. The Menu system is steady and works as it should. I seem to be able to clear this temporarily by disconnecting and reconnecting the power, but problem quickly returns. I can work around it but it annoys the heck out of me. Anyone else experience this?

Cheers, iHenry

Everything works well except in views where a window pops up; ie. Signal, Info, DVR and Timer button modes. Here I get a black screen alternating with what should actually be there and it does this every few seconds.

What is the resolution setting? Auto, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480i??? Some TVs are very picky on the automatic mode as it requires a frequent handshake between the receiver and the monitor in order to display an image.

What is the resolution setting? Auto, 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 480i??? Some TVs are very picky on the automatic mode as it requires a frequent handshake between the receiver and the monitor in order to display an image.

I have the MHD set for 1080p at 60 Hz for my LG 23" monitor. The problem happens only when the windows mentioned are on the screen.

Try setting the output resolution to another setting to determine if the TV handles a different resolution better.

I used to own a Visio that would have similar issue with a DVD player when displaying menus.

Try setting the output resolution to another setting to determine if the TV handles a different resolution better.

I used to own a Visio that would have similar issue with a DVD player when displaying menus.

Thanks Brian,

Experience pays. I switched to 1080i 60Hz and it seems to have solved the problem. I'll keep an eye on this.

Cheers, iHenry

Great to hear!

The microHD is tested and certified for HDMI compliance in all supported output resolutions. Connect to another TV and the 1080p setting will work perfectly. Go figure!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)