Scripps Stations dispute?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The same thing happened here when our local religious station, WGGN, moved to RF channel 3. Before the repack, I could get 100 percent signal strength from that station, but now it does not come in at all. I think my so-called "VHF/UHF" antenna actually does not handle VHF very well, or at least not low-VHF. Our in-town independent station, WMFD, comes in just fine on RF channel 12, though.
Lo-VHF days gone by LOL

1595919075344.png

Makes sense. With cable and DirectTV I do believe you pretty much have them whether you like it or not.
The same with Welcome Pack. There have been some limited reports of subscribers successfully dropping locals from that package, but it was only those who do not have the grandfathered lower price. Even then, after dropping the locals, their price was still higher than the grandfathered subscribers are paying for the complete package with locals.

I wish that you could adjust the source of the recording to "Seek". Then it can ping pong between sat & OTA without any effort other than to set up the initial timer.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
I could see a few potential problems with that.

One problem would be in a case where you do not always have reliable OTA reception of that station. If the channel is not being carried by satellite, then any recording would be better than none. However, if the channel is being carried by satellite, the "Seek" timer may still default to the less reliable OTA signal.

Another potential problem is that the metadata for the regular programming is apparently still hidden in the guide data, behind Dish's dispute message. I know this because during the Dispatch dispute years ago, I had a timer for NCIS that continued to record Dish's dispute video each week on the satellite-delivered channel, despite CBS programming no longer being listed in the guide. Also, during the Tribune dispute, I remember doing a Search and having the search find results on the Fox affiliate's channel number, despite that program no longer appearing in the guide since it was replaced by a dispute message. So, if the "Seek" timer defaults to the satellite-delivered channel, it may still find and record that time slot with the dispute message, despite the channel no longer being carried and the programming no longer being listed in the guide.

Finally, there are those who lost OTA guide data during the dispute, or who already had inaccurate OTA guide data due to the repack. In that case, even a "Seek" timer would not help them.

WMAR in Baltimore picked a wonderful time to go dark. They are currently broadcasting at reduced power on an aux antenna as they work on the repack. It is unknown when WMAR (or WBAL & WJZ) will have their new antenna(s) operational. So, viewers out in the outer suburbs are not receiving a broadcast signal from WMAR. I am about 45 miles from the tower all three are located on and cannot pick up any of them currently. Way to serve your community WMAR.

WMAR in Baltimore picked a wonderful time to go dark. They are currently broadcasting at reduced power on an aux antenna as they work on the repack. It is unknown when WMAR (or WBAL & WJZ) will have their new antenna(s) operational. So, viewers out in the outer suburbs are not receiving a broadcast signal from WMAR. I am about 45 miles from the tower all three are located on and cannot pick up any of them currently. Way to serve your community WMAR.
The Phase 10 repack was completed July 3rd and was the last one listed. They are still working on it? Did they not make the deadline?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

The Phase 10 repack was completed July 3rd and was the last one listed. They are still working on it? Did they not make the deadline?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
They switched frequencies but had to use aux antennas as their new ones have not been installed yet. The time frame for the installation is still being worked out.

Reactions: CyberSpock
I wish that you could adjust the source of the recording to "Seek". Then it can ping pong between sat & OTA without any effort other than to set up the initial timer.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
I have all of our Big 4 network recordings set to "Seek" so I don't have to reset them as we move from place to place and change DMA's. The downside during a dispute though, is if the EPG data is gone then the programs aren't found by "Seek".

Reactions: pattykay
I have all of our Big 4 network recordings set to "Seek" so I don't have to reset them as we move from place to place and change DMA's. The downside during a dispute though, is if the EPG data is gone then the programs aren't found by "Seek".

How did you set your Timers to Seek? I've only had that happen on their own under God knows what the conditions are and love it when they are. I have never missed a recording. I would imagine that if we are having to pay for OTA Locals, as I am, that those listings, as they are, would still be in the Guide, such that it is, that's where the Seek would come into play. Just checked, OTA listings present, D!SH listing shows a continuous running of "The Bicker Show".

How did you set your Timers to Seek? I've only had that happen on their own under God knows what the conditions are and love it when they are. I have never missed a recording. I would imagine that if we are having to pay for OTA Locals, as I am, that those listings, as they are, would still be in the Guide, such that it is, that's where the Seek would come into play. Just checked, OTA listings present, D!SH listing shows a continuous running of "The Bicker Show".
Use the "Search" function to find the program you want to record...

At some point the FCC is going to have to step up to the plate and put a stop to station hoarding and make these investment groups divest themselves of of any and all stations they own. It's obvious they buy them up with the soul purpose of holding the public hostage while trying to force providers to significantly increase payments (ransom). Sounds a lot like extortion doesn't it?

This has been discussed for a decade. I doubt the FCC will do
anything. Probably if the sponsors put pressure on the station, by threatening to pull their ads and move them to another station, that might do some good. It all comes down to money. If the station has lost viewers because of a dispute, then suddenly the the price of the ad should show that. The advertiser it not getting their moneys-worth.

This is typical of Dish OTA guide information for any stations that have entered into sharing agreements. The guide info for the host station gets mapped to both stations on the Dish receivers. This is a problem that is only going to get worse as the repack continues, unless Dish finally figures out how to fix it.

Since the Portland stations started stacking, most of the Dish guide is useless. If I want to record a program, I have to use an manual timer or use the accurate guide on the ReCast. From a minute the stacking started, the ReCast got updated. I was amazed how fast the info was updated and it goes out a full 2 weeks. The ReCast also has a built-in 500GB HDD, so a nice DVR. But sometimes if there is a glitch in the internet, it can mess up a recording.

Not to sound catty but since they're not back I'd say no. But then again no one is releasing updates or running crawls anymore either

Anyone know if there has been any progress to get our stations back?
Keep checking the uplink reports to see when the stations actually come back: Uplink Activity Updates
The uplink computer on that site will know about it before anyone here notices that the channels have been turned back on. Until then, there is not likely to be any update from either side in the dispute.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)