Scripps Stations dispute?

Our Scripps OTA stations do not have reliable signal. What's worse, there seems to me no monitor on that signal and it will be gone for hours. :( But the cable and satellite will be up.

Off air in the Tucson area: 009-00 ABC and 058-00 CW. Both are available OTA on 009-01 and 058-01. Because many people are in the rain shadow of Mount Bigelow transmitters, not all in the metro area can get OTA.

Here's a map I found of the Scripps stations. The only one the NYC area is effected by is CW 11. It is still on locast. We have 2 other CW stations up in the 230s and an OTA broadcast.
d7b52dbcfade5eb512d32645f2f01312.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: zippyfrog
Very interesting map. I had no idea there was a Scripps channel in Chicago. That has to be relatively new

With the Scripps CBS station gone I hauled out the Dish supplied OTA antenna, put it on a bookcase and scanned. Only downside is the program guide for the CBS station shows NBC programming but plays CBS. That's a head scratcher.

Reactions: TheKrell
With the Scripps CBS station gone I hauled out the Dish supplied OTA antenna, put it on a bookcase and scanned. Only downside is the program guide for the CBS station shows NBC programming but plays CBS. That's a head scratcher.
I am guessing that those OTA stations have been repacked, and are now sharing the same frequency, with the NBC station being the host for the CBS station's transmission. So, with the way Dish's guide data mapping works, the guide data for the host station would be mapped to both stations in your guide. This is a glitch that has been around ever since the OTA repack started.

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell and DJ Lon
Similar situation here; no CW guide (it mirrors ABC) so guess we'll have to create manual timers

What dish should do, or people who have dish and access to ota signals, is install ota antennas. More upfront cost with the adapter and antenna, but it pays for itself within the first year of service. Leave the broadcasting charges to the people who have no access to the signal. We’d probably have to pay out the arse, but that’ll take leverage away from the broadcasters.
We have OTA from Dish and I'd love to be able do that but we all have different tastes in the household as far as traditional networks go and there are times we have all four networks recording at the same time plus PBS; So with the dongle 2-tuner limitation we can't shut off locals. For example, I like ABC and PBS so there's the 2 tuners used so what about the other roomies who want to record FOX, CBS and NBC?

(We're a bunch of old farts who also do stream content but still rely on the traditional TV model)

I don't think it's a "channel". If you click on the link it says "Newsy"
Here in the NYC area we get Newsy on 283. Perhaps in Chicago it's blacked out? I never check the guide up in this area but it has some of the stations I usually go to OTA for like Buzzr. The one station Dish does not give is H&I. They did once on channel 42 but it was sold to a religious network and they sold it to a shopping channel still under the MeTV umbrella. That isn't right and the slot should be replaced.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, I get the two Detroit stations OTA for free. Stupid move on the part of Scripps. It just forces more people to put up antennas and cancel their locals via Dish.

They are killing their revenue stream. Makes me believe even more these stations will use the conditional access system of ATSC 3.0 to recoup the lost revenue from antics like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: PasTypique
I'm watching the message going across the bottom of the screen on the local Scripps station that I am receiving OTA. It appears the station by way of this message is attempting to get whoever can see the message to contact anyone they may know that subscribes to Dish to complain their channel is not being re transmitted. There is no explanation that the channel is not free on Dish. I don't support this TV station or any of these TV stations that use these tactics. This re transmission nonsense from local broadcasters is hurting innocent consumers that just want to watch what are supposed to be free local television channels. It wouldn't bother me if satellite went back to the days when it didn't have locals.

Reactions: eddie willers
I’m in the Indianapolis market and lost our local ABC affiliate on this one. It joins our CW which we lost a year ago. If we were close enough to Indy going over the air might be doable. All these channels are doing is losing revenue but so far it’s channels not worth putting up a big antenna to pick up.

This is typical of Dish OTA guide information for any stations that have entered into sharing agreements. The guide info for the host station gets mapped to both stations on the Dish receivers. This is a problem that is only going to get worse as the repack continues, unless Dish finally figures out how to fix it.

Hi Crodrules,

This sounds like my OTA situation in Tucson, which includes several Scripps stations. KGUN9 (9.01) repeats the guide information from CW channel 58 (58.01).

This just started about a week ago -- could it be related to the Dish/Scripps dispute, or just a coincidence?

--Scott in Tucson

P.S.: Nice trick on the free locals. I still don't understand why we stations are allowed to charge re-transmission fees for free, government-sanctioned over the air signals.

Reactions: pattykay
Off air in the Tucson area: 009-00 ABC and 058-00 CW. Both are available OTA on 009-01 and 058-01. Because many people are in the rain shadow of Mount Bigelow transmitters, not all in the metro area can get OTA.

Hi Saguaro,

I am in Tucson, too (Campbell & Skyline). Dish OTA Guide repeats the guide information from CW channel 58 (58.01) to KGUN9 (9.01), which means I get the CW program list, but not the ABC program list (though KGUN9/ABC is still broadcast on 9.01).

Are you having same issue? Just started about a week ago -- could it be related to the Dish/Scripps dispute, or just a coincidence?

--Scott in Tucson

I don't subscribe to locals, but the local ABC affiliate KNXV channel 15 is a Scripps channel and the guide data is still there. I think CW 61 is Scripps as well and the guide data is there.

I don't subscribe to locals, but the local ABC affiliate KNXV channel 15 is a Scripps channel and the guide data is still there. I think CW 61 is Scripps as well and the guide data is there.
Have you re-scanned lately? When 61 went to ATSC 3.0 and moved to channel 15 a few weeks back the correct guide info got replaced with the channel 15 guide and it's been wrong ever since

20200726_181409.jpg
20200726_181859.jpg

Sorry for the crappy snaps, my hands jitter too much and even the phone's correction setting can't compensate enough ;)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts