Scripps Stations dispute?

They discussed it on the local news. I love how they tow the corporate line. Is it D!SH that cuts the feed, as explained by the news readers or does Scripps cut the feed to D!SH? Luckily I have OTA that reaches 100 miles. Although the towers are only 15 away.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk
It doesn't matter which end actually cuts the feed. Dish is not legally permitted to transmit the signal to its subscribers once the retrans contract lapses without the permission of the station owner.

Reactions: KaptainRandom
This is typical of Dish OTA guide information for any stations that have entered into sharing agreements. The guide info for the host station gets mapped to both stations on the Dish receivers. This is a problem that is only going to get worse as the repack continues, unless Dish finally figures out how to fix it.
I suppose I could say lots of other words but for now I'll settle on bummer and (!) manual timers

Reactions: pattykay
We're getting the crawl out here in SLO town (KSBY) That's one that we can pull in OTA with no antenna shenanigans so nbd. Actually I've been tiring of TV anyway, but this is something that will concern my wife

When you type in a zipcode with a Scripps channel at MyDISH, this is the message that appears:

"Scripps Media has chosen to remove their channels during these unprecedented times.

DISH offered to extend the contract so that viewers would no be impacted but Scripps Media Inc. refused this offer. Scripps Media Inc. has been unwilling to negotiate. They have been on a station-buying spree and are asking for an unreasonable rate increase, nearly 250% of the fees paid today, to compensate for their newly acquired stations. We don’t think this is fair for you to have to pay more for the same content you get today and that is why we are fighting hard to keep your TV bill as low as possible. DISH is open to working with Scripps on a fair agreement to restore its channels.
"

Reactions: satjay
They discussed it on the local news. I love how they tow the corporate line. Is it D!SH that cuts the feed, as explained by the news readers or does Scripps cut the feed to D!SH? Luckily I have OTA that reaches 100 miles. Although the towers are only 15 away.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Ultimately it’s dish who cuts the feed as if the contract expires they can no longer rebroadcast it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

A lot of very good points have been made in this thread.
I remember when these stations were Over The Air only. Over The Air has always been free.
The other channels that were not broadcast over the air were the pay channels.
It seems like these companies that own these local over the air stations want to have their cake and eat it too. Have all the benefits and give nothing is their business model.
There greatest technological benefit to receiving these channels using Dish's sattellites vs. Over The Air is Dish's Prime Time Anytime.
I say leave these local over the air channels off of Dish' satellites even though this hurts innocent Dish consumers.
I don't receive the channels through the satellites because Dish installed an antenna for me allowing me to save money by receiving these local channels in this way among other things.
Let the stations go back to the way it was before these stations were transmitted by the satellites.

KJRH is running a ticker tape across the bottom of the screen that says, "Dish Network Is in a Contract Dispute with the owner of KJRH 2WORKS FOR YOU. If you are a DISH Customer And KJRH 2WORKS FOR YOU Programming becomes Unavailable, Call DISH TO Demand The Return Of this Station.". The TV Station does not explain what the 'Dispute " is about. The TV station wants consumers to promote their interests without knowing what the Dispute is about. Ridiculous and a rip off. 2DOESNOTWORKFORYOU.

I support Dish in their effort to stand up for the rights of consumers through their contract negotiations with these stations.
I say leave the stations off of Dish and see how the stations like it.

This I find interesting - Scripps on DISH blackout: “Our impasse, after 5 months of discussions, is not about the rates DISH pays us but their inability to agree on other distribution terms."

DISH Loses Scripps Stations in 42 Markets

What are "other distribution terms"? Length of contract? Not allowing customers to opt out of locals? That contradicts what Dish said when they say the issue is the 250% rate increase.

Reactions: TheKrell
This I find interesting - Scripps on DISH blackout: “Our impasse, after 5 months of discussions, is not about the rates DISH pays us but their inability to agree on other distribution terms."

DISH Loses Scripps Stations in 42 Markets

What are "other distribution terms"? Length of contract? Not allowing customers to opt out of locals? That contradicts what Dish said when they say the issue is the 250% rate increase.
Both could be correct, as the "other distribution terms" could result in a de-facto rate increase to Dish, such as requiring Dish to pay for two-and-a-half times the number of current subscribers (on top of the existing subscribers to the locals package) at the same rate per subscriber that they are paying now.

Fox WFTX in Fort Myers FL went off today. Luckily I get it OTA but lost the guide info.
Yes, that is not one of the stations listed in the massive uplink report from March that I linked earlier in this thread. So, apparently Dish did not prepare for the loss of this station by adding a separate OTA guide data stream, like they did for so many other Scripps stations that they were expecting to lose.

When you type in a zipcode with a Scripps channel at MyDISH, this is the message that appears:
What I find interesting is that when I click that link and enter my zip code, and then scroll down to the Ways To Watch section, it is completely useless for the one show that I am interested in. I select ABC, and then click the down arrow next to "select show." Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is not in the list at all. This same list also includes some shows from other networks, such as Saturday Night Live! and Empire. :wtf2

WXMI fox 17 in West Michigan dropped their signal this am. The guide says Scripps has removed FOX. look at DISHPROMISE.com or call WXMI station manager @ phone#.

WKBW (ABC-7) off of Dish here in Western Ny. Brian Nelson, Dish Group President on a loop, taking a hard line and explaining the streaming/OTA options.

On a related note, Charter-Spectrum just announced an increase in it’s broadcast network surcharge here in Western NY by $2.95 a month from $13.50 to $16.45, a 22% increase. I have no problem with Dish holding a hard line on the retransmission fee battle. The increases are out of whack.

What dish should do, or people who have dish and access to ota signals, is install ota antennas. More upfront cost with the adapter and antenna, but it pays for itself within the first year of service. Leave the broadcasting charges to the people who have no access to the signal. We’d probably have to pay out the arse, but that’ll take leverage away from the broadcasters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts