Search on Hopper

starsh87

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 25, 2014
mn
Is there any way to fix search on hopper? It's awful compared to search feature on old VIP receivers.
On VIP receiver would search for one word, results would be displayed by start time on the search, could browse the results easily and add timers. Very simple and easy. On hopper very difficult to even find anything on search, things that should appear don't, and don't even many results. Any way to fix it, or make it better?

Last edited:
Is there any way to fix search on hopper? It's awful compared to search feature on old VIP receivers.
On VIP receiver would search for one word, results would be displayed by start time on the search, could browse the results easily and add timers. Very simple and easy. On hopper very difficult to even find anything on search, things that should appear don't, and don't even many results. Any way to fix it, or make it better?
Are you using the voice remote or the diamond button?
The voice remote, that's really gone downhill.
The Diamond button - which can be mapped to search if it's setup for something else - is much better

Reactions: charlesrshell
I don't have an voice remote, and search button is an magnifying glass button. Upgraded to Hopper two months ago.

Have tried search through the Home Screen button and magnifying glass button many times. Just gives a black list 1-9 press 0 for more options, then categories of Sports/Shows with "show all to the left" then lists teams, where you'd have to go through every team or shows.

No basic list of what's coming up next couple days of what I searched, so can add auto-tune timers easily. Which is how VIP receivers were.

I don't have an voice remote, and search button is an magnifying glass button. Upgraded to Hopper two months ago.

Have tried search through the Home Screen button and magnifying glass button many times. Just gives a black list 1-9 press 0 for more options, then categories of Sports/Shows with "show all to the left" then lists teams, where you'd have to go through every team or shows.

No basic list of what's coming up next couple days of what I searched, so can add auto-tune timers easily. Which is how VIP receivers were.
Hold the diamond button down and remap that key to text search. You can absolutely do it that way on a Hopper, too.
You can set recordings through the Guide, too

Hopper with Sling is model, but don't have Wi-Fi and remote 52.0. This is what I get on the two attached pictures .
I'll have to find a picture of VIP's search online.
Edit

added some picture of a search from Dish site,
Now if I did the same search on the "VIP receiver" it would display results similar to the 3rd picture is with Sports, or any shows with the word in it, in order of start time for a couple days.. 3rd Picture is some series from the Dish Website.

Overall It just seems as basic search goes into very advanced specific choices on Hopper. Is it possible to have search results display, similar to the 3rd picture in any way?

Attachments

• 20231009_214646.jpg
    20231009_214646.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 68
  • 20231009_214628.jpg
    20231009_214628.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 68
  • search-selectprogram.png
    search-selectprogram.png
    208 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
No, these aren't computers that you can modify or add functions to. I guess I'm not sure what you're missing since you used two different search terms in the pics
3rd picture was something from Dish's site, that just showed results from a VIP search in time/date in order that's all. Otherwise it's an irrelevant picture. Have no ability to show a picture of same search on a VIP receiver, otherwise would be easy to see the difference.

Of the two in the picture I searched from Hopper they're both Minnesota search, which was the same I did for many years on VIP and found what I wanted in less than 30 seconds for the next 48 hours, including setting up the auto-tune timers, if it was sports, or anything else that mentioned it in the Description.
I get the Hopper is a week of results, if you can find things it's under specific categories, so say if you have the same team in college sports, you have to go separate under the team's logo for basketball, teams logo under football, and so on. Record all games is only choice otherwise, but I use auto-tune and doesn't let me change to auto-tune from record all games. Very time consuming because of the poor search results it gives.

I'm not sure how good the game finder option is, since it's internet enabled feature.

I've noticed too things that should be listed aren't either. I set auto-timers in advance for things to turn to, as it's much easier. For some, setting a timer from search doesn't work, for others on Local channels like NFL it allows you to add a timer, but for Big 10 Network it didn't allow it, it refreshes when you select the game, you had to find the game manually on the guide to add the timer.

Is there any way to change default timer/record to auto-tune by default instead of always having to go to DVR menu and change them a second time to Auto-Tune?

It's baffling to me how poor they made the search feature on Hopper over VIP receivers. More advanced, newer and lacks the same easy ability. Just have to search for anything on my phone, unless they fix/improve it in the future.

Thank you for the help on it.