Search terms too short

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hall

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Germantown OH
Is the restriction on the length of search terms configurable by the site or is it a vB issue ?

I'm trying to search for "jump to live" and it fails 100% because of the word "to". Why can't it just ignore it and search "jump live" ? Then I tried "live tv" and it fails on "tv".

Heh, I should just post a new thread anyway.... :) We don't care if it's been asked many times before.

Pretty sure we dealt with this about a month ago, but its a vB issue.

Try tv*

BUT in general, I find the search tool in vB to be its worst function.

At least the lame-ass restriction on "too many searches within" some time-frame isn't enabled. Nothing's more stupid than searching for something and seeing you mis-spelled one of the words or you get no results and then have to wait 15 or 30 seconds to try again.

VB needs to fix this function with there next release.
The next release ? I've seen this issue for YEARS with vB sites.... They probably have valid reasons but I was just wondering if it could be over-ridden. Something like a config option that defines the min length of words that are indexed. Two-letter abbreviations are so common but that means the search function has to *index* that much more.

For a multitude of reasons, search is of little practical use.

cup is half empty?

Common 2-letter words should be thrown out.
How many other ones are there?
I'd say index what's left. How many could there be?

As for the search being useful, I sometimes load posts with easy-to-search-for words if I think I may want 'em later.
I once used "twenty-four, thirty-six, and forty-eight", instead of "24, 36, & 48" just to make a post searchable later.

Probably locate half the things I search for.
Especially if it's something I wrote.
Just include my own name.

Tried to track down some photos the other day.
I had the file name, I knew who posted 'em, I didn't find them.
Turns out, the file names are not searchable.
Discovered that after uploading the picture again, then searching for it once more.

...so I say the cup is half full. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)