Searching for Signal 771 - only at night

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Z4NOLA

Original poster
Oct 21, 2006
I have a five receiver system (HR20, H20, R15, & two D11's). Have been experiencing intermittent Searching for Signal 771 problems. It happens only at night (usually beginning between 7 and 10 p.m.) and clears up in the morning (between 7 & 10 a.m.). When it happens I am losing my local (SD) channels and HD channels (ESPN, HBO, Showtime, HDNet, etc.).
I live in Harvey, Louisiana outside of New Orleans.

When this happens, it's on all five receivers.

Why is this happening at night only? I've got an installer coming in on Wednesday, but if doesn't get here early enough he won't see the problem.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I would check the following:

1) Check your multiswitch-Zinwell WB68
2) Bad LNBs.
3) Dish realignment/cabling-check you signal strengths.
4) Check for Dish obstructions.

Just my quick thoughts.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

I have a five receiver system (HR20, H20, R15, & two D11's). Have been experiencing intermittent Searching for Signal 771 problems. It happens only at night (usually beginning between 7 and 10 p.m.) and clears up in the morning (between 7 & 10 a.m.). When it happens I am losing my local (SD) channels and HD channels (ESPN, HBO, Showtime, HDNet, etc.).
I live in Harvey, Louisiana outside of New Orleans.

When this happens, it's on all five receivers.

Why is this happening at night only? I've got an installer coming in on Wednesday, but if doesn't get here early enough he won't see the problem.

It sounds to me like the lnbs are affected by the cold of the night. They can be more temperature sensitive when they go bad.

other areas to check...moisture and corrosion.

-the unused ports on the multiswitch were not terminated allowing moisture to enter...causing slow failure.
-improper coax loops (to help guard against water slowly making its way into the connector)
-installer did not use dielectric paste inside the connectors

I'd go with Raoul temperature sensitive LNB or switch rather than corrosion. Sun warms it up and everything works OK, cooling at night causes problem.

it sounds like bad connectors to me somewhere....

up here in ND we have a lot of this during the winter cause of shrinkage whens its cold....

I had this exact same problem. It turned out to be a bad AT9 dish, they replaced it and everything has been perfect since.

I have also been getting this message with the HD receiver, My first one was re-booting every hour, about two months ago, I had it replaced well it was working fin until recently. I am have getting the error message, and with a reset that seems to clear everything up...Its getting a little annoying doing this, but I am also have a problem now with MY HD locals coming in...I am getting a black screen with just the channel banner, the OTA are working but the the NON ota's are not, unless I do a reset and recently resetting has not brought back to local HD...I hate to give them a call....

But looks like I may be doing soon for another upgrade receiver?????

Raoul and Boba are correct. After losing the locals and HD's minutes after the sun moved behind my neighbor's house, I took a hair dryer outside and warmed up the 110/119 LNB. 2 minutes of heating and the channels return. Within five minutes after turning off the heat the same channels disappear. A half hour later I repeated the test with the same results. The DirecTV technician will be here in the morning. I told him to make sure he had a replacement LNB with him.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts