SO freakin' MAD!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adamevans

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
So, I signed up for DirecTV about a week or two ago. I JUST found out them shutting off TNT HD for all of today (and every Sunday, apparently).

I'm so mad I can't even see straight. I ponied up $199 for the stupid HD-DVR, paid my monthly fee, and now they're going to turn off one (or two) of my channels once a week? I don't ****ING think so!

Has anyone had any luck getting the "upgrade fee" and/or the cancellation fee returned or removed? I called them tonight and went postal about it, but they're freaking phone system was going wacky and kept cutting me off.

It just ain't right. Nowhere, NOWHERE, in anything I signed, did it say they were going to turn the channels I paid for once a week.

So, I signed up for DirecTV about a week or two ago. I JUST found out them shutting off TNT HD for all of today (and every Sunday, apparently).

I'm so mad I can't even see straight. I ponied up $199 for the stupid HD-DVR, paid my monthly fee, and now they're going to turn off one (or two) of my channels once a week? I don't ****ING think so!

Has anyone had any luck getting the "upgrade fee" and/or the cancellation fee returned or removed? I called them tonight and went postal about it, but they're freaking phone system was going wacky and kept cutting me off.

It just ain't right. Nowhere, NOWHERE, in anything I signed, did it say they were going to turn the channels I paid for once a week.

This is happening due to lack of bandwith for Sunday Ticket.Contact DirecTV tell them your problem they should change you from freakin mad to freakin happy.If not there always DISH.Good Luck!:)

This is happening due to lack of bandwith for Sunday Ticket.Contact DirecTV tell them your problem they should change you from freakin mad to freakin happy.If not there always DISH.Good Luck!:)

The only way they're going to make me happy is if they don't charge me a cancellation fee AND refund my $199 HD-DVR upgrade fee. I feel like I was suckered, because I honestly wouldn't have gone with DirecTV if I'd known they were doing something as flakey as turning off one of the HD channels every Sunday. But it's even worse because they didn't even tell me! It's not right. Sure, it's just TNT, but it's the principle. It's deceptive, and I feel like I was taken for $199.

If you would read the advise above and the other thread already discussing this topic; you will find they are/will credit you (give freebies) that more than make up for the minor inconvenience. You are correct it shouldn't have come to this, but it has and they will give you a fair deal in return. Also there IS TONS in their legal documentation saying that they have full rights to change programming as they see fit at any time with little or no notice. All that was/is in the end user agreement you were supposed to have read BEFORE of signed any service contract; it means you read it and understand it; along with everything else contained in the document. Just call and get your freebies and hang tight a few more weeks.

If you would read the advise above and the other thread already discussing this topic; you will find they are/will credit you (give freebies) that more than make up for the minor inconvenience. You are correct it shouldn't have come to this, but it has and they will give you a fair deal in return. Also there IS TONS in their legal documentation saying that they have full rights to change programming as they see fit at any time with little or no notice. All that was/is in the end user agreement you were supposed to have read BEFORE of signed any service contract; it means you read it and understand it; along with everything else contained in the document. Just call and get your freebies and hang tight a few more weeks.

From what I read, they agreed to give reasonable notice about changing the programming, yeah? Well, from what I gather, this situation with TNT-HD was going on well before I signed up. So, there's absolutely NO REASON they couldn't have told me before I signed up. That would've been reasonable notice, no?

Besides that, I refuse to give another cent to Directv on principle. They could've told me about this. They didn't. They misled me. I don't patronize people who use deceptive practices to get my money, even if it's only one stupid channel getting turned off for one lousy day. I SHOULD have been told.

It's not really about freebies anyway. I'm not looking for a handout to make up for my wounded pride. I feel like I was suckered into something, and I just want back what I was suckered out of--$199. I'm not going to get it, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay their cancellation fee, nor am I going to give them another center no matter WHAT they offer me.

From what I read, they agreed to give reasonable notice about changing the programming, yeah? Well, from what I gather, this situation with TNT-HD was going on well before I signed up. So, there's absolutely NO REASON they couldn't have told me before I signed up. That would've been reasonable notice, no?

Besides that, I refuse to give another cent to Directv on principle. They could've told me about this. They didn't. They misled me. I don't patronize people who use deceptive practices to get my money, even if it's only one stupid channel getting turned off for one lousy day. I SHOULD have been told.

It's not really about freebies anyway. I'm not looking for a handout to make up for my wounded pride. I feel like I was suckered into something, and I just want back what I was suckered out of--$199. I'm not going to get it, but I'm sure as hell not going to pay their cancellation fee, nor am I going to give them another center no matter WHAT they offer me.
DID you ask IF they were going to turn off any channels specifically ???
I highly doubt it, therefore you were not lied too.
IF you would have read anything on these boards , you would have know this was the way it was. this has been going on since the start of the football season while D* shuffles bandwidth around for a few more weeks, actually 8 weeks, by next season this will not be a prblem anymore the sats will be up and probably alot more channels as well.

Jimbo

Last edited:

Maybe you ought just cancel and go to Dish. Your being upset will not change anything.

IF you would have read anything on these boards , you would have know this was the way it was. this has been going on since the start of the football season while D* shuffles bandwidth around for a few more weeks, actually 8 weeks, by next season this will not be a prblem anymore the sats will be up and probably alot more channels as well.

Jimbo

The OP just joined on 10-20. I'm sure he sought out our forum after he discovered DirecTV's "Lie of omission" and failure to live by their own agreement by noitifying subscribers of changes.

DirecTV also won't hand out credits willy-nilly, it's a lottery or "roulette". After 6 years as a Direc HD sub I had enough. After several polite calls got nowhere and Direc refused to acknowledge what they had done I switched and am very happy. Of course when I called and told them to turn off my Direc they were more than willing to try to make it up to me. I replied that I had given them several chances and as a 5 heart sub I shouldn't have to have a competitors system installed in my house for DirecTV to finally make a move to keep me happy.

If the OP is mad enough to switch then switch, it's the only way Direc will change it's attitude and live up to their end of the bargain on notification of programming changes.

The only way they're going to make me happy is if they don't charge me a cancellation fee AND refund my $199 HD-DVR upgrade fee. I feel like I was suckered, because I honestly wouldn't have gone with DirecTV if I'd known they were doing something as flakey as turning off one of the HD channels every Sunday. But it's even worse because they didn't even tell me! It's not right. Sure, it's just TNT, but it's the principle. It's deceptive, and I feel like I was taken for $199.

If you have had service under 30 days I do believe they have a satisfaction guarantee.So contact them and Good Luck!:)

Last edited:
I understand your mad man. Also you have a good point, but being pissed at the world will not solve it, if you just got it you have thirty days. Cancel get your money back and get Dish Network.

I thought Directv had 30 day satisfaction guarantee policy if you not happy you can cancel within 30 day period. Am I right? If you only signed up two weeks ago you should be good to cancel without any fees.

Now as to your channel I dont know why you so upset. For example if you are cable company subscriber and as we all know cable sucks real bad......well guess what they lose their channels pretty much every day for some period of time and their picture is crap and nowhere in the contract it says that your picture is gonna suck and you will lose channels for five minutes every hour right in the middle of DEAL or NO DEAL show when that girl just lost a freakin half a million dollar deal and walked away with 350 dollars!!!!!!!

Jimbo

Dude... Your attitude on this is the most outrageous thing I've ever heard. You're saying it's MY fault because I didn't ask DirecTV, "So, you guys are actually going to give me all the channels you promised?"

That's insane. I can understand some people not caring about losing TNT-HD or not thinking it's a big deal, but I can't understand your line of thinking AT ALL.

Oh, and on the whole 30 day thing... Even though I was told by another rep that I wouldn't be charged a cancellation fee under the circumstances, they are now trying to charge me. No mention of any 30 day policy. I'm still arguing with them, though.

It definitely looks like there's no chance of getting the $199 for the DVR back. But, I'm still gonna do the BBB thing.

Now as to your channel I dont know why you so upset. For example if you are cable company subscriber and as we all know cable sucks real bad......well guess what they lose their channels pretty much every day for some period of time and their picture is crap and nowhere in the contract it says that your picture is gonna suck and you will lose channels for five minutes every hour right in the middle of DEAL or NO DEAL show when that girl just lost a freakin half a million dollar deal and walked away with 350 dollars!!!!!!!

Here's why it's different. If it had just been a technical glitch that took away TNT-HD, I wouldn't have blown my stack. I'm not unreasonable, and I know that things break. So, unless it was happening all the time, I wouldn't have flipped out over losing one of my channels to a technical problem.

However, this wasn't a technical problem. They've known for a long time, long before I signed up, about the TNT-HD being dropped. They could've and should've told me about it before I signed up.

First off I usually just sit on the sideline and enjoy the information provided on this forum, but for some reason your situation just made me jump into the ring.

Let me understand this, you spent over $200 and committed to 2 years of Directv service and now you want to get your $$ back because you can not view TNTHD for 12 hours out of the 168 hours it is on during the 17 weeks of the NFL season? C'mon.

I know HD is important, but most of the programming during the that time period are movies that are repeated throughout the day or weekend. Use that DVR.

Again anytime someone says to me, "it's about the principle", I know that deep down it is really about the PRINCIPAL. If it wasn't you would cancel your account, kiss your $199 goodbye and pay the early cancelation fee. Otherwise it truly is about $$.

Thanks for the chuckle on my Monday morning.

The problem with the math is that most people sleep 8 hours a night, work 40 hours a week plus commute time, have things to do to maintain their house, activities with their family/children. Taking it down for Sunday is akin to taking it down for 33% of available viewing hours.

Don't do the BBB thing, it's useless. If Direc has a 30 day satisfaction guarantee and won't stand behind it just forward a copy of it with a complaint to your state attorney general. One call to retention by a state investigator and you'll be released.

Oh, and on the whole 30 day thing... Even though I was told by another rep that I wouldn't be charged a cancellation fee under the circumstances, they are now trying to charge me. No mention of any 30 day policy. I'm still arguing with them, though.

It definitely looks like there's no chance of getting the $199 for the DVR back. But, I'm still gonna do the BBB thing.

Are you arguing with CSR's?.Or are you going to a Manager?.If you are not receiving satisfaction with one go over their head to the next.And there is a 30 day
satisfaction guarantee and you should receive your $199 back you just have to return the DVR.All this IS possible IF you have been a customer for LESS than 30 days.Good Luck!:)

I may be wrong but this "adamevans" poster is beginning to sound like someone trolling a forum with an over exaggerated fantasy. Anyone with a legitimate claim such as his would not be displaying the behavior he is over such a minor issue. His reaction to this alleged incident is way outside the norm of adult behavior.:confused:

It would appear he is in the D* forums with a purpose other than to seek information or advice, and more like the occassional DISH fanatic that drops into these forums to post false claims to create controversy. If not the bottom line is there is a 30 day satisfaction guarantee policy that would allow him to drop D*, return his equipment and get a refund. If he is really a new D* customer who is off the deep end over this issue, then my suggestion is he do just that, and go to a service that makes him happy.:eureka

Last edited:
Let me understand this, you spent over $200 and committed to 2 years of Directv service and now you want to get your $$ back because you can not view TNTHD for 12 hours out of the 168 hours it is on during the 17 weeks of the NFL season? C'mon.

Yes!

I'm pissed because I feel like I was deliberately deceived. I don't patronize people who deceive me. People who do that DON'T get my money. And for that matter, weekends are about the only time I really get to watch TV. So, having one less HD channel than I was told I was going to have during that time DOES affect me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts