Sears and Voom

I had a good experience at Sears. The salesperson knew the product inside and out, was able to demo everything and point out features and benefits. I was really impressed with the product knowledge, and we are happy with our new vacuum cleaner.

When we went to look at vacuum cleaners at Sears my wife and I were pushed to buy the most expensive one. I told her no thanks and went down the road and bought a nice one that was in our budget. The sales people there remind me of car dealers.

Neutron said:
When we went to look at vacuum cleaners at Sears my wife and I were pushed to buy the most expensive one. I told her no thanks and went down the road and bought a nice one that was in our budget. The sales people there remind me of car dealers.
If that expensive one was a Dyson you don't know what your missing.

I love my Voom, My only want is the DVR and more basic channels to please the others in the house.

My friend at FRYs electronics superstores.(way bigger and better then CC or BB) told me that all there stores are getting Voom. The only down side is Frys people while knowledgabe are in general not customer service driven since they do s0 much business anyway. They dont like to answer questions.

I don't know which Fry's you live near, but the two in the DFW area are horrible.

NoWhereMan said:
I can assure you there are as many bad experiences with Best Buy or Circuit City salespeople in reguards to product knowledge. Retail is hell these days and you have to be mental to want to work in it. All of these stupid comments "LOL Searz people R dum LOL" are getting old and clouding the real issue at hand.

I agree Nowhereman, but as I stated earlier I realize that the level of customer service is not necessarily better at BB or CC vs Sears. My point is that there does not appear to be any "synergy" between Voom and Sears.

Voom is attempting selling an electronic product, IMHO Sears is not the first place that comes to mind. If Voom was not going to situate it's product in a electronics store (Tweeters, Ultimate Electronics, etc...) I believe the next best option would have been BB, CC, or even Fry's. I say this because when most people think of BB or CC items such as DVDs, CDs, and Electronics come to mind. If I am purchasing appliances, Sears more readily comes to mind despite the fact that BB does sell appliances.

Plus as Vurbano mentioned, many Sears are "ghost towns" compared to the traffic flowing through your average BB. Customer service aside, wouldn't the increased visability do nothing but help Voom attract customers??

traylorc said:
I agree Nowhereman, but as I stated earlier I realize that the level of customer service is not necessarily better at BB or CC vs Sears. My point is that there does not appear to be any "synergy" between Voom and Sears.

Voom is attempting selling an electronic product, IMHO Sears is not the first place that comes to mind. If Voom was not going to situate it's product in a electronics store (Tweeters, Ultimate Electronics, etc...) I believe the next best option would have been BB, CC, or even Fry's. I say this because when most people think of BB or CC items such as DVDs, CDs, and Electronics come to mind. If I am considering the purchase of appliances, Sears more readily comes to mind despite the fact that BB does sell appliances.

Plus as Vurbano mentioned, many Sears are "ghost towns" compared to the traffic flowing through your average BB. Customer service aside, wouldn't the increased visability do nothing but help Voom attract customers??
wow, you think like I do. Let me run this by you then. I refuse to buy from Compusa due to their return hassels but.......... They are Big and busy, They are now selling big screen TVs and are in general located near BB and CC in most cities, for some reason those big 3 tend to be located near each other. What about it? At least Voom would benefit from the traffic and browsing.

First of all Vurbano, let me say that I totally agree with you regarding Compusa. I also hate their return policy; returning something at Compusa is like receiving a simultaneous root canal and rectal exam! :eek:

But on the other hand, the traffic that I have seen whenever I have browsed through Compusa easily surpasses what I have seen at Sears. The increased visability would definately benefit a company like Voom.

My only concern is whether Compusa is too "specialized"...it's a computer store first and foremost. Until you mentioned it, I had forgotten that Compusa does indeed sell big screen TVs. In the end, Compusa is a much better option than Sears because of the traffic going through their stores. But, IMHO I don't think Compusa is as viable an option as BB or CC. Maybe the best solution is for Voom to put their product in a Compusa and a BB/CC?

Neutron said:
I don't know which Fry's you live near, but the two in the DFW area are horrible.

If it comes to customer service I TOTALLY agree with you.
However. I have shopped all Frys since they opened there first stores in Cali about 15 years ago and there is NO electronics superstore that has a better selection or prices then Frys. I dont know about Texas but in every other western state there stores are about the size of a big Sears and at least 3 times bigger then the biggest BB or CC I have ever seen. Unlike there competitors, they dont just carry a couple manufacturers of items they carry like every manufacturer. Case in point. I went and bought a new 12x dvd burner for 139.00 last week. NO others even carry it yet. And they must of had 30 different varios DVD burners for sale.
Maybe becuase they are west states organized it is different the where you are.
but when the say your Best Buys are always at Frys! If you can leave out the terrible customer service they are definatly the BEST BUY for my money!

You know I shopped at Fry's regularly when I lived in Arizona, and I loved the place. They sold a variety of low to mid end products, and had a much broader product selection than BB.

As someone that is still on the sidelines waiting to see if VOOM is going to make it and IF they add some more usefull channels that my wife likes (UGH I know believe me, I dont want to watch lifetime either) I went into a sears store locally, with the sole purpose to check out voom, since that appears to be one of the only places near me that I could do that, Only to find out that it wasnt working, and they had an installer out a couple of times and still couldnt fix it, supposedly they were coming back out the next week to replace the dish, the sales person also told me it had been down for two weeks now and obviously was going to be at least another week, not a good impression from a customer point of view, makes ya kinda wonder what would happen if I got it and had similar problems, I think I will stay on the sidelines a while longer. :shocked

Hightech said:
As someone that is still on the sidelines waiting to see if VOOM is going to make it and IF they add some more usefull channels that my wife likes (UGH I know believe me, I dont want to watch lifetime either) I went into a sears store locally, with the sole purpose to check out voom, since that appears to be one of the only places near me that I could do that, Only to find out that it wasnt working, and they had an installer out a couple of times and still couldnt fix it, supposedly they were coming back out the next week to replace the dish, the sales person also told me it had been down for two weeks now and obviously was going to be at least another week, not a good impression from a customer point of view, makes ya kinda wonder what would happen if I got it and had similar problems, I think I will stay on the sidelines a while longer. :shocked

A lot of stores have had similiar problems. It goes back to bad dealer support. We can't just call up Voom an schedule a service call. We have to go through a dealer support rep (where you usually have to leave a voicemail and hope for a call back.) Our display is finally working after the third try.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)