Seattle HD Locals

Thanks for the information. I am currently in Eureka,CA and it looks like I wont be able to get the Portland locals. It looks like I can get the Eugen locals but of course they don't have any HD. I may be out of luck for the rest of the Seahawks games in HD.

World Series is over and the NFL season is officially half way done and still no KCPQ HD....Amazing....E* can bring in all the national HD's they want but without at least all the locals for those of us outside of the OTA range, it doesn't really matter. Another example of E* not quite getting their customer. After the dialogue with Tribune, I tend to believe their side of the story more. At least they communicate on the subject.

I hope it goes well for you, Chuck! Please let know how the PQ is and how the receiver compares to the 622.

Been a busy week and I haven't had as much time as I'd like to get to know the new receiver better. My Malamute figured out how to scale our 6' cedar fence and I've just finished making modifications to it to hinder him. First impressions are not bad. The PQ on the new MPEG4 HD channels is very good. My impression is that it is superior to the same channels on Dish. The older channels are pretty much on a par. Dish does have the edge on SD channels, but I'd read so many negative comments about how bad DTV's SD was that I was actually relieved to see that they are at least viewable.

The DTV dish itself is larger than I thought it would be and it seems heavier. The installer would not mount to the chimney. But I'm actually pleased that they found a spot at the rear of the house that is not visible from the front. And in the back it isn't obvious either because we have a tree that screens it. The signal levels are all high 80's low 90's and have not observed fluctuation.

The receivers the installer brought were the HR20-100 and an HR21. They are pretty much the same thing but the HR21 does not do OTA. I'm ok with that as long as I have the HR20 to pick up channel 11. The PQ of the HD locals from DTV is very good. I'd still give the edge to OTA but it's splitting hairs to describe the differences.

I like my HR20 receiver. It hasn't frozen up on me at all and after figuring things out I can do pretty much the same things I used to do with the 622 even if I have to find different methods of accomplishing it. For instance, they do the favorites lists differently. You only get two of them. That bothered me at first, then I found that there is a submenu off the favorites list that they break down categories like sports or movies etc. There isn't the control that you have with the way the 622 does it, but it is workable.

Climbing a 6' fence??!? That must be some dog! :)

Sounds like it was a good change, for the most part. How's 13 look in HD? :)

He's about a 1-1/2 years old. Got him as a stray at the PAWS shelter about 6 months ago as a buddy for our border collie. Huge dog and mostly a gentle giant. When he stands up on his hind legs he can see over the top of the fence. Unfortunate thing about Malamutes is that they are known as escape artists. I fixed the problem of his digging under the fence so now he goes over it. Aside from that he is a really great dog!

13 looks very good. I'd have to second what Scott said when he first hooked up his DTV, the locals are really close to OTA.

Hardest part (labor & expense) was stopping the digging. Bought 4' chicken wire and stapled it about a foot to a foot and a half up the fence all the way around (225') and laid the rest like an apron on the ground. Then I pinned it down with cherrytone logs and staked them down. Then I carted a whole bunch of drainage rock and laid it on top to cover all the mesh.

On the top I mostly used 3' rabbit fencing 1/2 stapled to the top of the fence and then supported by the kind of metal brace supports you might used in the garage. I tied it down with those plastic ties that people use to organize wiring. I did this all the way around except for approx 20 feet that I extended the height of the fence.

I'm afraid if he really works at it he can defeat the barrier at the top. But so far it's been two days and he hasn't.

All the locals look good enough that I pulled down my cm4248 yagi and replaced it with the much smaller cm4221 in a place that is hidden from view. It pulls in ch 11 at an 80 and that's all I really care about until they launch the new sat next year. I'm sure the neighbors are glad the big ugly stationary "weather vane" is off my chmney. :)

It sounds like you've done about everything you can to keep the dog in! What a job! :)

I'm glad to hear that the locals are all looking good enough that you took down the big ol' yagi and replaced it with a smaller one to get ch 11. I'm sure the neighbors are appreciative. :)

can some one please help... I have a cottage in zip code 54138 and my OTA doesnt get hd locals... how do I no where I can "move " to to get HD locals... I have Dish 1000 and a 722... THANKS

From KCPQ Fox 13: Looks like the parties are still talking but no one seems to know when an agreement might be reached

This is the only real issue I have with DISH. All the other threads deal with HD count et al. I am real easy to keep happy. I just want all my locals in HD - No offense to smaller cities but it's not like Seattle is a backwater town....

With AT&T possibly in the mix, who knows what's going to happen... It's got nothing to do with market size...it's Charlie not having tons of sat space availiable and Tribune wanting/demanding carriage of KMYQ-HD as part of the deal to get KCPQ-HD.

It's a big, nasty mess.

It really stinks that there is no agreement yet. Its a big part of why I left Dish for DTV after 10+ years. It would have been a harder choice if the ownership of both companies wasn't left twisting in the wind.

It really stinks that there is no agreement yet. Its a big part of why I left Dish for DTV after 10+ years. It would have been a harder choice if the ownership of both companies wasn't left twisting in the wind.

...I just moved...but then again I can live without Q13 HD.
I have also found that KIRO-HD Quality really stinks, other than being weaker than 4, KONG-16, 11, 5, 33 .... DISH Locals are really surprisingly good.

KIRO-HD ..home of Exploding Red Purse when the scene shifted to it. DISH feed got it Right. :hungry:

How are the locals, CNN-HD, Sci-Fi HD on D* ? ;)

...I just moved...but then again I can live without Q13 HD.
I have also found that KIRO-HD Quality really stinks, other than being weaker than 4, KONG-16, 11, 5, 33 .... DISH Locals are really surprisingly good.

KIRO-HD ..home of Exploding Red Purse when the scene shifted to it. DISH feed got it Right. :hungry:

How are the locals, CNN-HD, Sci-Fi HD on D* ? ;)

SciFi-HD on D has been great and I'm glad to see it uplinked on the 110 for you guys. Hope they rerun BG-Razor soon after you get it. All of the new MPEG-4 stations are very good. The Starz movie pack is really exceptional. The locals are also very good. GO SEAHAWKS!! No complaints about anything as far as PQ at all although thee old MPEG2 stations aren't quite up to E's quality (but that isn't to say they are terrible either).

I do miss a lot of the features on the 622 but the HR20 does what I want it to even if it takes a little more effort. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)