Seattle HD Locals

I still get OTA guide data for Seattle-I will check 10-12 days out. There is more information now for OTA. The program guide is in Central time, but I'm getting used to it. You will lose FOXNW though if you move out of WA or Portland.

Curious how the move is holding up over time. Do you still get channel guide info for Seattle OTA? Do you get the local regional sports for Chicago? I was holding out mostly for FOXNW for the Mariners. But I have to admit I would enjoy watching Lou's antics with the Cubs. My signal for 129 tp 12 is above 90 so it should work.

Curious how the move is holding up over time. Do you still get channel guide info for Seattle OTA? Do you get the local regional sports for Chicago? I was holding out mostly for FOXNW for the Mariners. But I have to admit I would enjoy watching Lou's antics with the Cubs. My signal for 129 tp 12 is above 90 so it should work.

I have had no problems with Seattle OTA channel data. The Chicago locals are quite good, though ABC has had *very* occasional hiccups/green squares. They look similar to the Seattle locals, very good but not OTA quality. You need to setup your own favorites to get rid of the other Chicago locals on 9, 11, 13 etc. WGN comes in on 239. CSN Chicago works fine too. I prefer the Sox myself ['05 Repeat?] but Lou will liven things up, that's for sure! You get 3 baseball teams as the South side also gets Cincin on Fox Midwest. You just have to get used to Chicago time, our 10pm time shows as Midnight the next day in the program guide, etc. The wife says lets get a digital clock like our old Moto box had. BTW no signal probs at 82-84 on tp12, unlike Monster or HDNews with 2-3 dropouts per hour, some over 60 secs w/a dedicated D500...
Added: I'm recording more from Chicago as KIRO/KING are bad with this windy weather 'cause I'm shooting through the neighbor's treeline.
Note: This 622 ROCKS!!! ...I was a cable holdout!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. Need to mull it over. Glad to hear things are working out. Very tempting especially if the local OTA channel guide info is still there.

Random Seattle Question

Ok, it seems like most of the Seattle type people are in this thread. so I have a sort of random question. I am thinking of switching to Dish from Comcast partially because of my current bill ($90/month) and being able to save a bit of money, and partially because I'm just sick and tired of quite a few things Comcast does. My main concern about switching to Dish is the lack FOX or CW HD. I'm pretty sure I can somewhat easily get FOX HD OTA, but probably not CW HD w/out a pretty large antenna according to antennaweb (I live in Covington). I hate not knowing how much work it'll take to get FOX HD since my tv doesn't have a built in tuner so I can't really test it or anything... So basically my question is, what would you all says the pro's and con's of switching to Dish are? And what would you all would recommend? I've tried reading through all sorts of threads and such, but it's just too random and I figure asking people in this area is probably the best way to do it. If I shouldn't have posted this here, I apologize.

Last edited:
Welcome given2fly! If antennaweb says you can get them OTA without too much problem, then you'll be able to get 11 and 13 in HD through the OTA tuner in a Dish receiver (like the 211 or 622).

I can't get anything OTA here in Olympia, but other here in this thread would be able to give you better info.

For me the big difference from MDM cable was the number of HD channels. It is a big pain not to have Fox in HD but I just stopped watching it and I have been okay! ;)

I mostly watch HD and enjoy the 30 or so HD channels.

I get all the channels without trouble in Mill Creek. OTA is funny. Your next door neighbor might get everything and you might still have trouble. I was told by a pro to just forget it, but after working on it I do get all channels now (big hill blocks my path). Last night was very windy and had hickups with Prison Break. But what I do is record (622) both the HD and the SD. So halfway through the show I just switched it over to SD. I had NO problems this year with any Seahawks recordings.

We are all hoping that KCPQ does come online eventually. But if you've read through this thread you can see how frustrated we've become with that.

If I had a free choice right now I'd still go Dish.

I actually thought of another question.. does Dish have Sonics home games in HD like Comcast does?

Thanks again for the responses.

I get all the channels without trouble in Mill Creek. OTA is funny. Your next door neighbor might get everything and you might still have trouble. I was told by a pro to just forget it, but after working on it I do get all channels now (big hill blocks my path). Last night was very windy and had hickups with Prison Break. But what I do is record (622) both the HD and the SD. So halfway through the show I just switched it over to SD. I had NO problems this year with any Seahawks recordings.

We are all hoping that KCPQ does come online eventually. But if you've read through this thread you can see how frustrated we've become with that.

If I had a free choice right now I'd still go Dish.

We have a big hill between us & the Seattle towers & a lower but wider & closer rise in elevation between us & KCPQ's tower. When we first got the HDTV a year & a half ago, the first scan found KOMO but I've never found anything since. What are you using, Chuck? Maybe I'll give it one more try.

We have a big hill between us & the Seattle towers & a lower but wider & closer rise in elevation between us & KCPQ's tower. When we first got the HDTV a year & a half ago, the first scan found KOMO but I've never found anything since. What are you using, Chuck? Maybe I'll give it one more try.

CM4248. It's a big ugly yagi. Price isn't too bad...about 50.00...you can order them at solid signal. Have mine mounted on the top of my chimney. Good luck.

I was probably just a little cranky last night with a little too much time on my hands (had minor surgery last week - went well, no need for concern). But I got to thinking how frustrating it is for us as consumers caught up in this stupid peeing contest between Dish and Tribune.

I have worked for the phone company for over 27 years. I know when we get an FCC complaint we do take it very seriously. It pushes things to a different level. Of course Qwest is regulated, so it is different in that way. But I figured what the heck. Certainly nothing to lose.

Here is the website:

http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/complaints.html

Although much of the form (general complaint) seemed directed more at Telco's, it felt good to complain whether they give a rip or not. There is a section to state your complaint in your own words. This is what I put:

On May 1, 2006 Echostar (Dish Network) began retransmitting HD Locals for Seattle, Washington. At that time, they had stated four channels would be retransmitted. Since that time, the local Fox affiliate (KCPQ) has remained the lone holdout, refusing to allow Dish to retransmit the HD signal. Tribune has denied Echostar retransmission authorization in both Sacramento and Seattle. Correspondence from Tribune suggests that subscribers drop Dish and move to DirecTV. As Fox and DirecTV operate under the same ownership, subscribers to Dish would seem to have little recourse other than to seek help from the FCC for what appears to be an abuse of Tribune's position of trust of the public airwaves.

Last edited:
Great idea on the FCC complaint. Here is mine also:

I have been a Dish Network subscriber for years, and I have enjoyed Dish’s HD rebroadcasts of local channels. In Seattle NBC, CBS and ABC are all rebroadcast on Dish Network in HD, and it works perfectly. However Fox is not available.

From what I understand, the problem is a dispute between Fox and Dish over redistribution rights. Normally I would be fine with that, it is a free country, but in this case it smacks of unfair business practices. The reason for my concern is that Fox is retransmitted fine on Direct TV, but not on Dish Network. Since Direct TV is owned by the same group as Fox television, it seems that they are withholding the channel for anticompetitive reasons. In fact Direct TV representatives have even suggested to Dish Network customers that a possible recourse is to leave Dish Network and go to Direct TV.

This is anticompetitive, and unfair. I would hope something could be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts