SEC Network Launches August 14 Channel 611

Status
Please reply by conversation.
SAW A ARTICLE IN THE NEWS HERE IN DOTHAN AL THAY COMCAST BE CARRY YHE SEC CHANNEL.

I can't get cable where I live. I'm going to wait .I believe d will get it. I had dish for nine years before I switch to directv. I really like D picture it better than E. I wait till AUG 1 then I switch and carry my 140.00 a month with me if D don't get the sec channel. I can't help that SEC conference is the best.

I think SEC Network will get added by DirecTV.

A deal may end up getting reached very closely to the launch date of SEC Network.

It appears that DirecTV is making it company policy to snub debuting sports programmers over carriage costs that don't satisfy DirecTV. (That DirecTV is using its leverage to get deals closer to what it is after from new programmers who are more in need carriage on DirecTV than DirecTV is in need of carrying those debuting sports programmers.)

We still do not have Pac-12 Network and SportsNet LA. And I guess one can opine whether it has been those programmers or DirecTV who has been the more reasonable. But if a deal doesn't get made, it ultimately will not make enough difference to a DirecTV subscriber. A subscriber who badly wants Pac-12 Network and SportsNet LA will go, or will have gone, elsewhere.

With ESPN's upcoming SEC Network, it's likely more a deal-breaker from the collective perspectives of college-sports lovers who will not be as patient, as they were with not getting Pac-12 Network, should DirecTV not add it by its launch date.

I think DirecTV will succeed with reaching a contractual agreement to carry SEC Network. And I think it will happen in time for SEC Network's scheduled launch date of August 14, 2014.

From Wikipedia.org (@ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SEC_Network#Availability ):
"AT&T U-verse was announced as the first television provider to agree to carry SEC Network. In January 2014, Sports Business Journal reported that ESPN was seeking a carriage rate of $1.30 per-subscriber per-month in SEC markets, and $0.25 in non-SEC markets; in comparison, Big Ten Network charges around $1.00 per subscriber in Big Ten markets. It was also noted that SEC Network's opening doubleheader may have been intended to put pressure on Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications to pick up SEC Network, as they predominantly involve teams located within their service areas. In March 2014, Dish Network added SEC Network as part of a wider carriage deal with Disney for its television networks. On April 30, 2014, Google Fiber was added as a carrier. In June 2014, network head Justin Connolly expressed concern for the lack of carriage deals for SEC Network beyond those with AT&T and Dish Network, and considered the situation to be 'alarming'. However, he also noted that the network may successfully negotiate more carriage deals closer to its launch."​

Reactions: whitewolf8214
We've gotten along without an SEC network forever. Why the anxiety attack at "losing" something we never had? It's not as if major SEC contests will suddenly no longer be available on CBS, ABC or ESPN.

We've gotten along without an SEC network forever. Why the anxiety attack at "losing" something we never had? It's not as if major SEC contests will suddenly no longer be available on CBS, ABC or ESPN.

Many people will be losing the former SEC Network (known as SEC TV last year) which was a lower tier game on local stations and MSG. Not a huge deal but there is something lost for many folks. ESPN could schedule higher tier football games on the SEC network to pressure other providers to carry it. You're technically right because this is not the same SEC Network but the potential loss is there for SEC fans.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Well, if the provider you have doesn't offer it you will in fact lose access to games that you could get in most markets last year, plus the ppv game that each team has a year.

Most of your prime games will of course stay on CBS or the main ESPN channels but the do have a few scheduled for the sec network to kick it off.

A lot of you are missing the point on why so many ppl are going to leave D...its not about the quality of the games on network...college football is personal...I watch other games but I NEVER miss a Tennessee game...ever. If Dish has it, then I will go there...that simple. Ask anyone in Birmingham, Columbia, Gainsville, ect....answer will be same. As for not having it before, so how can I miss it??? Really? I had those games on other networks...now those are not available.

I have a friend that installs Dish...they are stock piling boxes and dishes expecting a huge demand in August if D* doesn't pick it up. He says that they are being told to tell ppl that D* will not carry it...I think they will but this could hurt D* at least here in East Tennessee. Personally, I don't wanna switch..im still under contract....my hope is Charter will get it if D* doesn't...they are fairly cheap and no commitment.

A lot of you are missing the point on why so many ppl are going to leave D...its not about the quality of the games on network...college football is personal...I watch other games but I NEVER miss a Tennessee game...ever. If Dish has it, then I will go there...that simple. Ask anyone in Birmingham, Columbia, Gainsville, ect....answer will be same. As for not having it before, so how can I miss it??? Really? I had those games on other networks...now those are not available.

And that's the average SEC team fan in a nutshell. We will not miss our particular team play if we can help it, no matter how insignificant the game is to the outside observer, and some of those games were available otherwise that will now be exclusive to the sec network.

They are already starting. D* can survive without Pac12 but they will regret not having SEC.

Working in south I can tell you the new connection rates are absolutely blowing up. With that nearly every customer asks about the SEC at their installs... Many of them switched.

And that's the average SEC team fan in a nutshell. We will not miss our particular team play if we can help it, no matter how insignificant the game is to the outside observer, and some of those games were available otherwise that will now be exclusive to the sec network.

I don't think SEC fans have a monopoly on this loyalty thing. I'm an NC State fan and I've missed weddings because of football games.

I don't think SEC fans have a monopoly on this loyalty thing. I'm an NC State fan and I've missed weddings because of football games.
I did not mean to imply that other teams from other conferences do not have loyal fans. I do think that it is more common among fans of SEC schools however, whether thats good or bad. lol

I did not mean to imply that other teams from other conferences do not have loyal fans. I do think that it is more common among fans of SEC schools however, whether thats good or bad. lol

I think part if it is, after living on SOuth Carolina and Virgina, that many of the ACC areas have pro teams they are more concerned about. More of the Bama, Miss and La regions are die hard football. Granted you have the saints, but its not as big as say the Ravens and Skins are in Virgina.

In Florida, you have gates and Noles, along with Canes, but you have a lot of Miami Heat and Jaguars fans too.

I'm born and raised in Mobile, live here now, and married a Bammer. I bleed garnet and gold and we do not miss either game each week. I'll use my phone during a wedding, did it last year...

Reactions: larry55
That is alot of it for sure.

I will say that the saints have a HUGE following in the region though, even moreso in recent (10 years) past as they finally dont suck. Those that follow them, follow them as heavily as they do their college teams, especially along the mississippi coast and the LSU fan base area.

Saints are growing, but its not like the east coast where good college teams are around and they take second tier to NFL teams. LSU, Bama, Auburn and UF rule this area for the SEC fans even if they are "aints" fans. I never liked the Saints when I was young, and I do not pull for them now :)

The TV market for the ACC population wise is HUGE, but like I said, Panthers, Skins and Ravens some of that.

When I saw the Cox announcement today, my first thought was this puts a lot more pressure on Directv.

See there is your difference. "Good" (maybe) east coast college teams and great NFL teams. Down here its different, or even opposite.

You have your Bamas, your LSUX, your Gators, Dawgs, and your Vols. Yep, I just dissed the easterners and am about to say, SEC! SEC! SEC!

:D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)