Edwin33

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
Okay so I just got a brand new system from sadoun. It was the following

Fortec Star 90U dish
Mercury II Receiver
Invacom .3db LNBF

I set it up as close to 44 degrees elevation as I could tell, and pointed the dish at 130 degrees from north. I proceeded to move it around bit by bit, but nothing. I get zero signal and zero quality. I checked the pole with an angle finder and it's at zero degrees so I don't think that's the problem. What could I be doing wrong?

BTW I'm trying to get IA5 and I live in California, 91306, so I'm pretty sure my numbers for az and elevation are correct. I also skewed the LNBF ~ -30 degrees as sadoun's site suggested.

Did you try Moving the dish manually while conected and tuned to your southernmost sat? that did it for me. in your case.. I would either go to anik e5 or e9/t13 and go from there, I used the last one and it worked out, I am also in cali

When setting up a fixed dish no need to point true south.
Make sure you have a LIVE TP. from IA-5 already loaded into the receiver before pointing.

Dfeq. 11836

Pol. V

SR. 20765

Watch for Signal Quality only.

Code:
                      Winnetka, CA 91306
         Latitude 34° 12.552'N Longitude 118° 34.494'W

Sat Name Sat Lng Az(t) Az(m)    El  Skew
---------------------------------------------------------------

Telstar 5   97.0W 144.9 130.7  44.0 -28.4

Satellite Finder is (c) Copyright 2004, P. Lutus

Ok, So I went into "antenna setup" and entered the following

Satellite: IA5 Ku
LNB Type: Univ LNB (9750, 10600)
Positioner: Off
Transponder: 11836/v/20765
Switch: DiSEqC1.0
Input: LNB1

Is this right?

Last edited:
What Invacom is it? Is it ajust a single output or does it have 4 outputs?

If its the single, then what you have is right
If its the quad, then the LNB type needs to be at 10750

Iceberg said:
What Invacom is it? Is it ajust a single output or does it have 4 outputs?

If its the single, then what you have is right
If its the quad, then the LNB type needs to be at 10750

It only has one output. So I guess the settings are right? So what do I do now?

When I change switch from Diseqc to None the input automatically switches from LNB1 to NONE, is that ok?

also when you are in the area [of the satellite] adjust your elevation...I have several of those 90u's and the elevation is a bit off. Also don't move the dish too fast, I usually move it a hair and give it a 3 count...that gives the meter time to adjust (seems like there is a bit of lag, I'm sure its called something else but I don't know the correct term). Also if you are using a compass make sure that you adjust for the magnetic deviation (for your location its 14 deg) so you would point your compas at 130.7 degrees.

I tried again. With the settings I stated earlier, I took a small TV to the roof and hooked it up to the reciever using a much shorter high quality coaxial cable. I shifted and tilted the dish for over an hour but didn't get even the slightest increase in signal strength or quality. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. I've tried using the 44 degree elevation as the site tells me, but I've also tried everything else in between. I also have probably gone through about 45 degrees in each direction from 130 degrees without any luck. To be honest, I'm getting quite fed up with this.

I would select one of these 2 frequencies

I dont have the symbol rates handy, but these 2 frequencies are in there. The key thing is you need to move the dish S L O W L Y. get it in the vicinity (130 which is pretty much straight SE) and move it slowly (1/8" at a time) and WAIT for the dish to acknowledge you moved it. See if signal pops up. If not move again and see

Iceberg said:
I would select one of these 2 frequencies

I dont have the symbol rates handy, but these 2 frequencies are in there. The key thing is you need to move the dish S L O W L Y. get it in the vicinity (130 which is pretty much straight SE) and move it slowly (1/8" at a time) and WAIT for the dish to acknowledge you moved it. See if signal pops up. If not move again and see

To select those frequencies I just adjust the "transponder" setting under antenna setup by scrolling left and right correct?

Another question. When I go to set my elevation at 44 degrees do I just loosen the screws and tilt the dish until the stabilizer plate is in line with the 44 degree mark on it? Or does the signal come in at a higher elevation into the dish which would mean I'd have to set the numerical value on the dish holder to something lower like 20 or so?

no. If your elevation is 44 that is what the dish is set at.

Make sure to use the edge (where the elevation red line is). Match it up with the elevation

see attached picture...This is my fixed dish at G10. Elevation is 29 1/2 or so :)

Attachments

• IM000786.JPG
    IM000786.JPG
    22.5 KB · Views: 172
I seem to have a different kind of mount. I've attached a pic from the website. Do I use that bronze colored stabilizer plate to align at the right elevation? And also do I align with the front of the bronze thing (the side closer to the dish) or the back (the side closer to the pole)?

Attachments

• U-Bolt-Motor.jpg
    U-Bolt-Motor.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 160
oh I noticed you have the UNiversal mount...then you like the centre of the bolt up to the elevation markings

(I always understood it as if there was no "edge" then use the centre of the bolt

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts