Second Tuner for AZBox

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
This is a request for assistance in locating an outlet for a second tuner for my AZBox Premium.

I have emailed several requests to the AZBox Premium sellers and home site, but have not received a response back from any of them as of yet.

If any you have any information of where to acquire a second DVB-S2 tuner for the AZBox, please post here or send me a PM if you like.

I have one 1.2 M Geosat Pro dish set up with a DG-380 motor and am planning on installing a second one so that I can fully test the operation of the AZBox Premium.

I hope to find one before winter sets in and get my second dish set up, but I may have to wait. Thank you everyone for any notification in this regard.

RADAR

I believe when the blind-scanning S2 tuner or the ATSC tuner show up...
... and I have no knowledge that they will...
there will be no shortage of shouting, celebration, and discussion on the forum. - :up
It'll be hard to miss! - :cool:

I believe when the blind-scanning S2 tuner or the ATSC tuner show up...
... and I have no knowledge that they will...
there will be no shortage of shouting, celebration, and discussion on the forum. - :up
It'll be hard to miss! - :cool:

That will be awesome! Blind scanning with the AZBox! Dang right there will be a celebration! My house! Drop by and I will have fine beer and single barrel Jack and some refined champagne! Hee Hee!

WaHOO!

RADAR

Thanks Yurek99,

The second site (goldwafers) was the one that I was monitoring, but they always show the item as being out of stock.

The first site, Falcon International, shows these tuners on hand and their price is better. I wish I could get one from a US source, but it may be a little while.

I will see if Falcon Int'l can accomodate me with a second tuner. Excellent gumshoe work there, Yurek! I appreciate it!

RADAR

I am not sure if you can use two DVB-S2 tuners in one box.
Better make sure if it is supported by current software.
On one of European not English forums was a conclusion - only one DVB tuner can be present in the system (different tuner types can be mixed). I was disappointed, and I was looking for more info, but I was not able to find any reliable related information. If anybody has more info about this possible limitation please share.

I am not sure if you can use two DVB-S2 tuners in one box.
Better make sure if it is supported by current software.
On one of European not English forums was a conclusion - only one DVB tuner can be present in the system (different tuner types can be mixed). I was disappointed, and I was looking for more info, but I was not able to find any reliable related information. If anybody has more info about this possible limitation please share.

Janz,

Allow me to get one ordered and installed and tested. Then we will know for sure.
I cannot see a purpose to owning this box if it doesn't support everything it is advertised to. I don't mind being a guinnea pig in this hobby, hopefully I can find out some good information for all of us.

If it turns out to be negative, then I can save others the expense. If it turns out positive, then everyone can jump on the option as they wish.

We don't truly know until someone attempts it, right? :) I might as well give it a try! I am so pleased with this box so far, even with a few quirks, that I might as well continue.

AcWxRADAR

The software for the second tuner just went out in the last release.

Looks like they are getting ready for it. :)

I have software 2880 release (version). I have options in the menus to select tuner A or tuner B or both, even though I only have one tuner installed.

Therefore, the framework is present as far as I can tell. Hopefully with the new, second tuner it will function. It is supposed to. I guess I will find out.

AcWxRADAR

Janz,

Allow me to get one ordered and installed and tested. Then we will know for sure.
I cannot see a purpose to owning this box if it doesn't support everything it is advertised to. I don't mind being a guinnea pig in this hobby, hopefully I can find out some good information for all of us.

If it turns out to be negative, then I can save others the expense. If it turns out positive, then everyone can jump on the option as they wish.

We don't truly know until someone attempts it, right? :) I might as well give it a try! I am so pleased with this box so far, even with a few quirks, that I might as well continue.

AcWxRADAR

What a great surprise will be that tuner for instance you could buy a Pansat DVB-S2 tuner and with an applet could work. That would be fanstatic.

What goos is to Dream

I have software 2880 release (version). I have options in the menus to select tuner A or tuner B or both, even though I only have one tuner installed.

Therefore, the framework is present as far as I can tell. Hopefully with the new, second tuner it will function. It is supposed to. I guess I will find out.

AcWxRADAR

I suppose you could remove the A tuner and put it in the B slot, and see if that worked. It might be a predictor of things to come, if it does.
:)

USB ideas:

What a great surprise will be that tuner for instance you could buy a Pansat DVB-S2 tuner and with an applet could work.
Well, assuming the Pansat 9200 S2 blind scan tuner were really hot (no clue), wouldn't it be interesting if you could get a USB interface for it?
Maybe for $35, not $200, like some! . :rant:
Not gonna happen, of course. Pansat wouldn't want to supply a part to anyone but their customers.

. . . just thinking out loud . . . - :rolleyes:

edit:
oops, another thought -
How many USB ports does the AZbox have?
There are ATSC USB tuners.... - :cool:

Radar - Take a look inside the AB IPBox, is that tuner compatible with the AZ?

Lak7,

I checked that out right off. They are not compatible in regards to the electrical connections. The tuners in the AB IP Box have circuit board edge connectors and the AZ Box tuners use a ribbon cable connection.

I don't know if this could be modified, but I bet researching this notion would prove to be akin to pulling teeth from a chicken. Ha Ha! Well, you understand what I mean. That was one of my hopes that were dashed when I opened both boxes. I was hoping to be able to swap tuners.

With a very minimal effort, I was able to transfer the HDD from the AB IPBox 9000 HD to the AZBox. At least that made me happy.

RADAR

I suppose you could remove the A tuner and put it in the B slot, and see if that worked. It might be a predictor of things to come, if it does.

Brent,

That is not a bad idea! I might try this. The tuner modules are easily moved around. The ribbon cable might even reach to the B port withought moving the tuner card itself. I think there was enough freedom in the cable to do so.

From what others have been fearful of, is will it acknowledge when BOTH tuners are in place and be able to address them both with the current software (image). I am betting that it will be OK.

RADAR

Well, assuming the Pansat 9200 S2 blind scan tuner were really hot (no clue), wouldn't it be interesting if you could get a USB interface for it?
Maybe for $35, not $200, like some! . :rant:
Not gonna happen, of course. Pansat wouldn't want to supply a part to anyone but their customers.

. . . just thinking out loud . . . - :rolleyes:

edit:
oops, another thought -
How many USB ports does the AZbox have?
There are ATSC USB tuners.... - :cool:

Do I hear some reptilian mind gears churning here! :eureka:

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts