Seeing Red!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Donut Dan

Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
Bishop Ca
Hello every one. This is my first time here. I recently lost my local channels in HD. Still have standard def. My zip is 93514. This zip has partial coverage in 2 counties. I live In mono county. Direct reps says the zip indicates Inyo county. I'm not far from the Inyo county line, but I pay Mono county taxes and in fact live in mono county. If I go to the Directv website and plug in my zip to see what channels I should get, it asks me which county. I put in Mono and it says I should be receiving my local stations from Reno Nv, thus enabling me to receive my locals in HD. I currently receive my locals fro LA. My daughter lives 3 miles down the road and receives her locals from Reno. I have have spent hours on the phone to no avail. I was told it was being referred to "escalation", nearly three weeks ago and not a word from anyone. Are your locals decided by zip or county? Are you immune from prosecution, if your victim is a satellite provider? Or does that depend on county or zip? TIA in advance. Dan.

Designated Market Areas (DMAs) are determined by county. The catch is that the provider gets to choose a year out of the last five in which the DMA mapping was laid out. Everyone who lives in Mono County should get the same "locals" from a particular provider. If your daughter lives in a different county, her situation has no relevance to yours.

Another possibility is that DIRECTV's spot beam coverage may not be up to snuff on the Cal-Neva border. I'm pretty sure this is the case in the west edge of the Las Vegas DMA and it may be the case in the Reno DMA as well.

:welcome to the site Donut Dan!!

Designated Market Areas (DMAs) are determined by county. The catch is that the provider gets to choose a year out of the last five in which the DMA mapping was laid out. Everyone who lives in Mono County should get the same "locals" from a particular provider. If your daughter lives in a different county, her situation has no relevance to yours.

Another possibility is that DIRECTV's spot beam coverage may not be up to snuff on the Cal-Neva border. I'm pretty sure this is the case in the west edge of the Las Vegas DMA and it may be the case in the Reno DMA as well.

My daughter and I are in the same county. They just recently took away my hd locals. I have had them for the past 4 years with no problem, however they where from LA and I should be receiving them from Reno. The problem is they insist their computer tells them I'm in Inyo county. I offered to send them a copy of my tax records.

My daughter and I are in the same county. They just recently took away my hd locals. I have had them for the past 4 years with no problem, however they where from LA and I should be receiving them from Reno. The problem is they insist their computer tells them I'm in Inyo county. I offered to send them a copy of my tax records.
talk to someone in the technical department. I had the same issue at one time. When I plug in my zip it gives me the option of 3 counties which is right. The zip does cover 3 counties (they all come to a point) Depending on which county you are in you get slightly different locals. First line CSR's kept telling me I was in Blue Earth County when in fact I was in Nicollet county. Tech help were able to change it

Call in and tell them technical help. Those folks seem to fix glitches :)

Designated Market Areas (DMAs) are determined by county.
actually its by zip code
There are counties where part gets locals from city A and part of the county gets it from city B. Look at the California Map and you'll see that as example

california.gif

actually its by zip code
Your previous post is at odds with this claim. There you said that if you put in a ZIP code you're given three counties as choices. The counties are what matters if you look up the definition of DMA:
allbusiness.com said:
geographic area defined by Nielsen Media Research Company as a group of counties that make up a particular television market. These counties comprise the major viewing audience for the television stations located in their particular metropolitan area.

Source: designated market area (DMA) Definition | Business Dictionaries from AllBusiness.com
Note that this definition says that counties cannot be split and we know that that isn't the case as evidenced by the California counties are indeed split.

Hello every one. This is my first time here. I recently lost my local channels in HD. Still have standard def. My zip is 93514. This zip has partial coverage in 2 counties. I live In mono county. Direct reps says the zip indicates Inyo county. I'm not far from the Inyo county line, but I pay Mono county taxes and in fact live in mono county. If I go to the Directv website and plug in my zip to see what channels I should get, it asks me which county. I put in Mono and it says I should be receiving my local stations from Reno Nv, thus enabling me to receive my locals in HD. I currently receive my locals fro LA. My daughter lives 3 miles down the road and receives her locals from Reno. I have have spent hours on the phone to no avail. I was told it was being referred to "escalation", nearly three weeks ago and not a word from anyone. Are your locals decided by zip or county? Are you immune from prosecution, if your victim is a satellite provider? Or does that depend on county or zip? TIA in advance. Dan.

that zip code says its in Mono County so you should get Reno locals

My daughter lives 3 miles down the road and receives her locals from Reno.
in some cases you could be a block down the road or across the river and be in a different county. Seen lots of examples like that here

side note: interesting as on the Dish site that zip gets LA locals. Its been known on some border areas Dish goes with one market and Directv might be with another

Your previous post is at odds with this claim. There you said that if you put in a ZIP code you're given three counties as choices. The counties are what matters

zip first then possibly county 2nd....post above with the split counties verifies that they go by zip 1st...then if a zip is across counties then they go by that :)

Donut Dan, there were issues in your area area with low signal levels on the hd channels. Rather than deal with a lot of calls regarding reception problems, they took the hd channels away.

The LA Big4 are CONUS so that wouldnt matter

I guess folks complained about not seeing KDOC or something in HD ;)

I live in Elko County Nevada and we get our locals here from Salt Lake City. But we are outside of the spot beam for SLC HD channels so we only get our locals in SD. That sucks. I wish there would be some way to let people in our situation get the national network affiliate channels in HD since we cannot get our locals in HD and I doubt if we ever will.

I'm not sure what to make of all the replies. I think the consensus is, that nobody knows for sure if they go by zip or county. I was hoping to have something concrete before I call again to plead my case. The thought of another hour on the phone makes my head want to explode. I think maybe the best idea so far, is to try the tech dept as was suggested. Thanks.

Donut Dan, there were issues in your area area with low signal levels on the hd channels. Rather than deal with a lot of calls regarding reception problems, they took the hd channels away.

I've had flawless reception for the past 4 years or more and my daughter, 3 miles down the road, who gets her channels from Reno (where I should be getting mine from) has flawless reception. I have heard the reception argument before and it doesn't make sense either. I think given the option of an occasional problem or no HD at all, most would choose to keep there HD. Thanks for taking time to reply.

I'm not sure what to make of all the replies. I think the consensus is, that nobody knows for sure if they go by zip or county. I was hoping to have something concrete before I call again to plead my case. The thought of another hour on the phone makes my head want to explode. I think maybe the best idea so far, is to try the tech dept as was suggested. Thanks.

They do go basically by county, but there are some variances here and there. My town is the northern most in the county. There are some streets that are in my town but have a mailing address for the town, and therefore county, just north of me. Even though their mailing address is Hartford county, their locals are based on New Haven county. For our locals it really doesn't matter, but with significantly viewed channels it makes a difference.

It absolutely goes by the service address / zip code as related to the DMA data base from which they are assigned. You can be in the same county as another zip; practically neighbors, only separated by a few blocks, miles, whatever, and be relegated to a different DMA by LAW based on whatever the DMA is assigned to that service zip code and address.

If you type in your actual service zip code in a DMA tool and it says you are to get "WHATEVER DMA", then that is what you get. If the CSR is telling you something different than the tool, then THAT is an issue.

Last edited:
looks easier said than done in his area. zip run on tvfool shows minimal reception

attachment.php

also there are 2 low powered stations that wouldnt be in the AM21

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 170
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Directv satellite signals.

dish realignment

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)