Selling Used Equipment to Strangers

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyberham

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 16, 2010
Halfmoon Bay, British Columbia
There is a high profile story in the news in Canada now about a man who advertised in online media to sell his truck. Two strangers arrived at his house and took the truck and owner for a test drive. The owner told his wife "he'd be right back". The potential buyers apparently killed (and burned up) the truck owner!

Since the stuff we usually sell is small, why not always meet at a local mall in public to do the swap of your satellite equipment with the buyer? This not only protects your safety, but keeps your home address private. This might make the buyer feel more comfortable too.

Click here for story.

It's unfortunate that kind of thing happens. But from a buyer's point of view, I do not like buying from strangers I have no way of recontacting. And even then you can't be too careful. As a seller, you become real good at reading people and take the risks. I've been burned both ways. (People really suk sometimes)But you learn those lessons and move on.

Unfortunate? That's a little low-key.

As a seller, I don't want to be recontacted. Used means buy-it-as-is with no followup or implied warranty to be expected by buyer. Or, if the seller wants to provide followup, the buyer can always ask questions via email since that's likely how seller/buyer first connected.

You can't read maniacs always. You've heard the stories of serial killer sociopaths who are so charming. Tim Bosma, truck owner in this story, won't be moving anywhere. And his wife / child will live with his sad mistake for the rest of their lives. Of course the odds are low for this happening, but the consequences are too big to take the chance.

By the way, I don't consider guys/gals we interact with on this forum "strangers". We may not have met, and we may be strange, but we're not strangers after hundreds of postings. Except, perhaps, that iceberg guy. Can you imagine somebody with a mug like that arriving on your doorstep?? :eek:

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)