Senate votes to turn down volume on TV commercials

Status
Please reply by conversation.

john262

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2005
It's about time. I am sick and tired of the varying volume levels that I get on Directv, and of course it is a problem with other services as well.

Legislation to turn down the volume on loud TV commercials that send couch potatoes diving for their remote controls looks like it'll soon become law.

The Senate late Wednesday unanimously passed a bill to require television stations and cable companies to implement industry standards capping the volume of commercials and equalizing the volume between ads and other programming.

The House has passed similar legislation but minor differences have to be worked out when Congress returns to Washington after the Nov. 2 election.

Now they need to pass a law requiring that color intensity be the same on all channels. I am also sick and tired of having to adjust the color controls when I switch from one channel to another.

Senate votes to turn down volume on TV commercials - Yahoo! News

They use compression thats what makes commercials seem so loud. By doing this they keep modulation below 100% FCC standards but it still seems louder. What compression does is makes the low and high levels of the commercial to be all at about 90% modulation. I don't see this law changing this unless they say they can no longer use compression.

DirecTv does have volume differences between channels which can be a pain. But honestly nobody does it right and balances everything.

Video differences is another thing. I set mine to an overall balance and live with it.

When a commercial's volumn is too loud I simply hit the mute button and leave it on until the series of commercials is completed. During football games when the announcers are annoying I sometimes leave the mute button on for the rest of the game. I find it relaxing especially when the same commercials are played over and over again.

I have seen some new TVs advertised with sound stabilizers to resolve this problem; I wonder if they work as advertised.

Bulldog said:
I have seen some new TVs advertised with sound stabilizers to resolve this problem; I wonder if they work as advertised.

I commercial volume increase does need to be fixed. I hate that

Welcome news!

It isn't that the commercials are too loud. So often, one commercial blasts you out so you turn it down, then you may not be able to hear the next one.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts