Sending component video from 622 over cat 5

9boy

Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
TN
I have 2 HDTV's and one 622. I don't watch one of them very often, but I would like to have the option of watching the 622 on both in HD w/o buying/leasing another 622. The two HDTV's are about 75 feet apart and wiring component cables with optical audio is almost out of the question. What are the pros/cons of sending the second tv video and digital audio (optical preferrably) over cat 5? I can easily wire one run of cat 5. Recommendations about places to buy the transceivers will be greatly appreciated.

I use 35 feet of CAT6 (solid core/plenum) that has been rated to 550mhz and it works fine. The problem is the ohms rating. Component cables are 75 ohm cables and CAT 5/6 are 100 ohm cables. You could experience loss of signal and experience degraded picture and sound. You can fix this with a couple video baluns but I wasn't willing to spend the money.

I have 2 HDTV's and one 622. I don't watch one of them very often, but I would like to have the option of watching the 622 on both in HD w/o buying/leasing another 622. The two HDTV's are about 75 feet apart and wiring component cables with optical audio is almost out of the question. What are the pros/cons of sending the second tv video and digital audio (optical preferrably) over cat 5? I can easily wire one run of cat 5. Recommendations about places to buy the transceivers will be greatly appreciated.

Do you use the HDMI? I have a similar setup and use a 50' HDMI cable with no noticeable loss of signal.

After some looking, I did run across video baluns on their site.
But in the search, I found a lot of high prices on other items.
Let's hope $90 worth of baluns will do the job (6 pcs)...
I didn't see anything else. Are there actual transceivers?

After some looking, I did run across video baluns on their site. I didn't see anything else. Are there actual transceivers?

Not transceivers (two way) but they do have transmitter/receiver units. Look for the CE Labs line of HDTV hub equipment. Here are some MCM stock numbers that you might want to look at: 33-10255, Cat5TX (Transmitter) $109, 33-10256, Cat5RX (receiver) $129. This stuff isn't cheap but it supports 1080i up to 300 feet (using cat6). For short runs (50 feet or less) it would be cheaper to use HDMI or component cables.

Make your own cables. You can use RG 6 cables with f connectors on each end . Then install an f connector to rca adapter available at Radio Shack. 3 of these cables will work just like a component cable. You can do the same for audio.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)