Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
What is going to give the best results?

10' mesh dish with C/Ku lnbs
OR
10' for C and 1.2M for Ku

I already have both

That's hard to say. Most all mesh dishes are different (from different manufacturers). Some are terrible with ku, while some do pretty well. Since you have both, this is something you need to discover on your own, I think. Let us know how your results come out. I also have both, but until I could set it up to do a test between the 2 using the 4dtv on G4 (X4) and/or AMC3 (K3), it really doesn't matter. Currently, I can get ku from the BUD, a 1.2m, and an 80cm to 3 different DVB receivers. Believe it or not, at times, each one will out perform the other 2, using all 3 to get the same channel. But, in all honesty, I'll have to say the 1.2m does it better most of the time. But, that's not a fair judgement with the BUD, because all Bud's are not the same. And yours might out perform mine with ku. So, I say, you need to find out for yourself. And, let us know. Also each receiver will at times bring in different signal readings. They are different manufacturers also. So many factors involved.

Al

Last edited:
I tend to believe in separates most of the time. It seems like when you combine things, each has to compromise a bit. The downside of separates is redundant equipment like positioners and the associated cable(s). OTOH it seems like a 10' dish on Ku would outperform a 4'

By the way do they still make that "All in One Cable"?

Greg, I've always been one who argues, "Bigger is Better", and I still do. But, when it comes to mesh, it's just slightly different. The old saying is, if a pencil point won't go through the mesh it will work. Well, I've tried that on my mesh and the pencil point has too much room to pass through. But, the mesh still works. No telling what I may have missed from time to time. When I got my 80cm dish, I still have no problem stating "Bigger is Better". As the mesh is usually slightly better, nothing to brag about though. Now I've gotten a 1.2m dish, and it blows the mesh and the 80cm away for the most part. But, I did get a better signal on one channel with the 80 cm, just slightly though, and the mesh will occasionally do one better than the 1.2m. But, most of the time the 1.2m is 20 signal points better than the 80cm. I can't honestly say how much better it is than the mesh as I mostly use the mesh for 4dtv on G4 (X4), when refering to ku. Actually the mesh is 95% of the time (or more) on C-band.

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)