Seperate OTA Coax line

Phaetos

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Sorry fellas but I didn't want this question getting lost in the other thread about getting a refund for the OTA coax line. Am I reading those posts right that we should be dumping the diplexer on the back of the boxes, and have a seperate coax run to each box for OTA as this will improve OTA signal reception? And all I need to do is call Voom and tell them that it should have been done as part of the original installation and they will send my installer out to run seperate coax to each box? Isn't the point of the diplexer to integrate the two signals into one so that no switching is needed to receive the OTA signals? How does this work with 2 seperate lines? That part has me a little confused, explain please.

Phaetos

I'm sure there're others here that know more about it than I do, but until they chime in...

I have two lines running into the box, and if there's any "switching" going on I don't know about it -- it's nothing I actually have to do. I can go from a SAT channel to a OTA channel just by entering the ch # or using the CH buttons on the remote.
I was under the impression that the diplexor wasn't the best option because they were having troubles with it early on. I don't know if that's still the case. Also, I think if you do have troubles somewhere it might make troubleshooting easier without it -- one less thing to go wrong, y'know? If you're not having any trouble, I would advise not to fix what ain't broke -- but that's just me.

NO!!!!... or probably not.

The early installs had a ota antenna that did not use a pre amp or anything.
At that time it was way to have less connections, therefore better PQ not to have a splitter.
The new antennas (The bat wing sensor) uses the diplexer to supply power to the antenna.
I know because at the end of May when mine was installed I has them install with no diplexer and ended up with no OTA because I got one of the new antennas.

Kentstater72 said:
NO!!!!... or probably not.

The early installs had a ota antenna that did not use a pre amp or anything.
At that time it was way to have less connections, therefore better PQ not to have a splitter.
The new antennas (The bat wing sensor) uses the diplexer to supply power to the antenna.
I know because at the end of May when mine was installed I has them install with no diplexer and ended up with no OTA because I got one of the new antennas.
Kentstater72, I am one of the original Voomers (13 months) and I have the bat wing sensor, installed from the beginning with the diplexor. It's not the new antenna, it's the original antenna.

So, the winegard,or whatever it is, antenna is supplied power thru the diplexor from the sat box? I got my install done about ... 6 months ago give or take a couple months. So I should leave the diplexor in place?

Phaetos

Diplexer installation is pretty standard: it reduces the number of cables an eliminates the need for additional power supply. Never the less, some people (myself included) have chosen to run a separate line in a hope to improve the signal. In most cases installers don't charge anything for that additional line, but I don't think VOOM will approve a separate service call to remove the diplexer. So, if everything works fine for you, don't bother!

(I know, you've been on this forum for awhile, but since you just started posting - welcome!)

That's odd. I know I've posted more than 3 times. Something wierd there. But thanks anyway Ilya.

ota

i had the single cable running into my voom box and was only able to receive 1 channel but today they came out and ran 2 lines into the box with a powered preamp and boom 9 ota channels ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaa!

cidbozek said:
i had the single cable running into my voom box and was only able to receive 1 channel but today they came out and ran 2 lines into the box with a powered preamp and boom 9 ota channels ohhhhhhh yeaaaaaaaaa!
Perhaps you had a wrong type of diplexer: the one that didn't pass DC voltage to the antenna...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts