serial port

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
breaking out the port to the top of the case would modify the case with a hole, correct? That appears to violate the warranty rules Brian has posted. I certainly wouldn't want to notch holes in a device that's under warranty, to add a function that normally would never be used by 99% of the people. It's not much harder to slip the case off in the other (hopefully under) special case 1% of users that brick their receiver.

not if the kit included the new top case.
new case with port in it, plug in port wires close case , done, case closed, pun intended.

it opens up the possibility for channel editing direct to computer later on.
be cool, i think...

Last edited:
If even 1% of users brick their receiver, we would have a serious problem! For most, the TTL header will only be used for recovery in place of having to send the unit back to the distributor like must be done with the Manhattan RS1933. In these cases where the user is savy enough to open the case, connect to a header and configure their PC, these types of users are typically the same ones that would modify hardware to serve their purpose.

For the advanced user who wishes to maintain the serial connection and is not concerned with modifying the case and voiding the warranty, I would suggest to drill out the rear panel marking (to the left of the Power IN port) and feed the USB/TTL cable through, secure at the entry point so it doesn't twist or pull out, then connect to the header.

As Primestar31 pointed out, the demand would be niche for an outer case connection. I would encourage any 3rd party to provide a hardware and software solution to leverage serial communication with the microHD. I have seen several 3rd party solutions for scanners and radios that are pretty amazing!

I will provide as much guidance as possible to any team who wishes to take serial com with the microHD to the next level! Support could include replacement case top covers... :D

If even 1% of users brick their receiver, we would have a serious problem!

I would agree, but never underestimate the capability of people bricking their electronic devices, especially when flashing new firmware. Far too many people think that re-flashing is appropriate no matter what, and they don't understand that it can be dangerous in certain cases, and oh so easy to brick. I myself would never reflash without that device at a minimun being on a UPS. I shudder to think of losing power right then. I've seen many pc's ruined this way, and using a JTAG to recover it isn't necessarily easy for a non techie type person.

People should understand that there is no reason to reflash a new firmware to anything, UNLESS that firmware definitely fixes a particular issue/problem they are having with it.

It's serious business, and too many take it too lightly.

breaking out the port to the top of the case would modify the case with a hole, correct? That appears to violate the warranty rules Brian has posted.

My USB/TTL dongle hasn't arrived yet, but it seems like you could just route the wires through the venting holes in the top (one wire per hole) down to the connector.

if the wires coming off the USB plug aren't long enough or the circular "lug" is too thick to fit through a vent hole, then my idea is off the table.

I myself would never reflash without that device at a minimun being on a UPS. I shudder to think of losing power right then. I've seen many pc's ruined this way

I am a firm believer in UPS usage. The MicroHD is plugged into a UPS and I imagine with its low power draw, it would run for a very long time, recording its DVR timer schedule through a lengthy power outage.

i dont believe the demand would be niche for channel editing direct to computer.
i would buy the kit... if it was like 5 bucks or so
it was just wishful thinking.

Why not go a more conventional route and put networking /LAN on the micro. I access my AZBox for channel editing through the LAN on my computer. Don't have to do anything special, just open the editor on the PC and I'm connected to the AZ.

it did not come from the factory with the port ready access. It seems like it could have.
There were other reasons for it. If they were mentioned before, i just don't remember them.
possibly cost issues, dunno.

The fact of this makes me regret making the first post as this issue was probably hashed out in development stage.
could i get the thread closed please.

it did not come from the factory with the port ready access. It seems like it could have.
There were other reasons for it. If they were mentioned before, i just don't remember them.
possibly cost issues, dunno.

The fact of this makes me regret making the first post as this issue was probably hashed out in development stage.
could i get the thread closed please.

I don't think you should have any regret on making a request, it was valid thought, and why not bring it up? I'm amazed that even the internal port exists, as that's not something that's normally standard. The thing is though, I wouldn't think you'd want just anybody to have too easy access to the internal serial port. Too much chance of people playing with it and causing damage. So, breaking it out to the top of the case would seem to be only for a very small niche group of hobbyists that are already aware of the dangers involved in playing with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)