Series 1 or Series 2 DVR with rebate?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jgreenfi

Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
Hello all!! :)

I am highly interested in the Tivo unit that Directv is now offering ($49 after rebate)... However, I am reading that the series 1 DVR do not have the USB jacks or the network capabilities that are in the series 2's. The Tivo Desktop is a MUST for me....

How can I find out exactly which model is offered with this plan? I don't want to order it only to find that it is an earlier series and does not have the capabilities that I am looking for....

Thanks in advance! :)

I beleive the Series 1 and 2 that you refer to are both TiVo's, and not DirecTV TiVos. DirecTV TiVo/DVR's do not have the USB ports enabled, nor do they offer networking. The TiVo desktop that you refer to is not part of the DirecTV TiVo. If you want the TiVo Desktop you will need to go with a Stand Alone TiVo.

As far as what you get when you order the DVR from DirecTV, you get whatever the installer has in their warehouse. If you want a specific model DVR, you can go to a store and purchase it there, and then call up DirecTV, and they will install it for $99.

I would recommend going with a DirecTV TiVo/DVR because of the dual tuners to record up to two shows at once, and if the installers in your area have the new R15, then you can record up to 100 hours. You can search the forums for information on the R15. You can also purchase a fairly inexpensive TV tuner card for your PC and connect the DVR to your PC. I just saw one for $30.

I have this set up with both of my DVRs, and have found it to be a reasonably inexpensive alternative to purchasing a TiVo, besides I can't live without the dual tuners.

Thanks a million... That answers a LOT of questions on it... I appreciate it! :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)