Service tech said he'd be back to install support arms...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
References the point that you made about being full aware of the job conditions prior to your employment. Also sub come on vent on things in here more often than techs. Some with valid gripes and some stuff probably all in their head.

Good point.

Quite so,

Any one person posting on here has access to only their experiences in one place and time. The value of a forum is to combine experiences from mant places and times.

When many individuals have the same experience and report it...that is significant.

Joe

Another good point.

The topic was 'Service tech said he'd be back to install support arms...', did I miss where the OP found a resolution? If so, sorry I missed it.

I'd like to suggest that sad techs start a thread of their own in the Installer Zone in which they can exchange their tales of woe. Perhaps they could form their own support group using the associations they make there.

Considering the mindlessness of the job and the current economic environment and not to mention the 10+% unemployment rate Im sure there are hundreds of other unemployed techs who would be glad to do Fed Ups job. I mean he could always memorize "would you like to supersize that?" and try his luck there.

Considering the mindlessness of the job and the current economic environment and not to mention the 10+% unemployment rate Im sure there are hundreds of other unemployed techs who would be glad to do Fed Ups job. I mean he could always memorize "would you like to supersize that?" and try his luck there.

Actually,

There are thousands of unemployed techs who will not go back to installations. They are also a bit overqualified for flipping burgers. And attempting to repeat an unsuccessful action again and again with the expectation of a different result is a sign of insanity.

Tech like me who constantly bitch about installation conditions are just saying hello to the installation companies and Directv itself because of their "sorry about your luck" attitude that is detected when reporting non compensation for the work that made YOUR satellite system function.

Joe

Last edited:
Here's where a Union would be a great thing to have.

Yeah, a UNION, they always make things so much better.
They have those great union dues, vote to go on strike, demand things, get the people that went on strike fired. :rolleyes:

At the union place my dad worked the lazy, sloppy workers got paid the same and got the same yearly pay raises as the hard working, high quality output workers. It took an act of god to get the bad workers fired.

The topic was 'Service tech said he'd be back to install support arms...', did I miss where the OP found a resolution? If so, sorry I missed it.

I'd like to suggest that sad techs start a thread of their own in the Installer Zone in which they can exchange their tales of woe. Perhaps they could form their own support group using the associations they make there.

No, We don't know what happened to the original situation

. Probably nothing. But know that users like yourself post in here to find answers to installation questions that Directv often will not answer.

When I run into your attitude in a sales situation the price doubles just because you think there is so little value in technical service that you expect everything for FREE.
Sure I would be glad to come back to do your work after the children finish their nap. Park on the street; no problem. Remove my shoes before walking into your home; not a problem. Of course we can set up another time that doesn't conflict with your tennis lesson.

I personally only hit this site to learn from the superior class of clients who have time to share their experiences and wisdom. I feel so stupid for not thinking of forming an installer support group.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Joe

Last edited:
They have those great union dues, vote to go on strike, demand things, get the people that went on strike fired. :rolleyes:

At the union place my dad worked the lazy, sloppy workers got paid the same and got the same yearly pay raises as the hard working, high quality output workers. It took an act of god to get the bad workers fired.

Yorktown,

The union thing is like a pendulum that swings in both directions. At one extreme you see companies in need of labor just squeezing every penny out of the labor force without regard for safety, future training or long term company growth. Cut the damn trees and make more ties this shift...faster!

At the other end of the swing you see unions with complete control of the labor force. They would think nothing of shutting down the whole national economy in order to gain another raise...often for the deadwood you mentioned. And the union management does pretty well for themselves from the union dues.

What I seldom see is a union that provides skilled labor; techs who have been trained in what used to be called the guild system. In this model management calls the union for skilled workers and willingly pays for the results of superior performance.

American industry is in there somewhere. Service jobs cannot be exported to an off shore factory. Unions and management need to make nice or continue eating (passing on) the cost of a constant turnover of partially trained and completely disgruntled beginners.

Joe

No, We don't know what happened to the original situation

. Probably nothing. But know that users like yourself post in here to find answers to installation questions that Directv often will not answer.

When I run into your attitude in a sales situation the price doubles just because you think there is so little value in technical service that you expect everything for FREE.
Sure I would be glad to come back to do your work after the children finish their nap. Park on the street; no problem. Remove my shoes before walking into your home; not a problem. Of course we can set up another time that doesn't conflict with your tennis lesson.

I personally only hit this site to learn from the superior class of clients who have time to share their experiences and wisdom. I feel so stupid for not thinking of forming an installer support group.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Joe

Why you come in here to insult people you don't know is a mystery to me. My attitude? Give the attacks a rest. If you approach each day bringing this kind of baggage to the job it is a wonder you have room in your truck for the rest of your BS never mind the tools to do the job you get paid for.

I'm in CS and know what that is about. We exist for the customer. They do not exist for target practice. People such as you are doing the company tremendous harm. Enjoy your 15 minutes. Time is running out as there is no place for that in a successful corporation. You have met the enemy and the enemy is you.

Why you come in here to insult people you don't know is a mystery to me. My attitude? Give the attacks a rest. If you approach each day bringing this kind of baggage to the job it is a wonder you have room in your truck for the rest of your BS never mind the tools to do the job you get paid for.

I'm in CS and know what that is about. We exist for the customer. They do not exist for target practice. People such as you are doing the company tremendous harm. Enjoy your 15 minutes. Time is running out as there is no place for that in a successful corporation. You have met the enemy and the enemy is you.

Keep in mind the customer service portion does not exist as you so eloquently put it, "target practice" either. As much as most of us understand your intent was to keep this on topic, a certain amount of extra details about HOW this situation occurred is never a bad thing. And if a tech is venting, it's only to help the overall industry, and the corporation as a whole. Not to mention it also helps readers and customers who do take the initiative to read on here and give them a further understanding of how things can and do go wrong (I liken it to seeing the big picture :)).

Call DirecTV quickly. We had a dish installed here in South Florida where it's never windy before we moved in and they didn't put the support arms on. I didn't catch it within 90 days. When I called I was told the install was out of warranty and they charged me $50 to have an installer come out and do the job.

So this is your ONLY experience with a Union ?

Thats too bad.

As far as CS (Customer Service) goes.............most people with a Directv system have not met a Directv employee. The installer was a contractor providing a service indirectly through a series of brokers and subcontractors. Directv customers have expectations ......receivers delivered on a silver platter.......lucid & uniformed techs in company trucks arriving on a spring day....FREE installation.

Installers are looking at a fixed price to do a specific service that will fit every situation to a greater or lesser degree.

It's complicated!

Joe

1. It not complicated. The installer no matter how many degrees removed from the company still represents the company while he is there.

2. Do installers mainly do to how they are paid and how many hands said money goes though get the screw job. Yes but I reference the directv company wide there's the door policy. It seems to apply from Techs to even upper management apparently.

3. If you cant do a basic neat install see item two for resolution

4. Directv Home Services is ever growing and from what I been hearing dealing with the company it self is alot better then dealing with any hsp .

But this all comes down to attitude, I get a tech who comes out does a nice clean neat job picks up after him self and does not leave long pieces ofrg6 or cable times all over the place or boxes, the tech will get a tip. If they do the opposite well I come down on them, called I know your job sucks but dont take it out on my place.

Back to the support arms,
I've seen quite a few SL3 & SL5 dish installs around here that don't have the support arms. With the high winds here in S Texas the larger dishes really need them in my opinion. My sister-in-law had her SL5 dish get out of alignment due to no support arms, she called DirecTV and was told it would cost her to have a tech come out.
When my father-in-law was upgraded to a SL3 and HD, I went over and made sure the installer put on the support arms, he didn't want too. The last installer who came to my house for my DVR upgrade had a large box of loose support arms in the back of his van.

Are the support arms required for the SL3 and SL5 dishes? or just an option if the installer thinks they are needed?

Back to the support arms,
I've seen quite a few SL3 & SL5 dish installs around here that don't have the support arms. With the high winds here in S Texas the larger dishes really need them in my opinion. My sister-in-law had her SL5 dish get out of alignment due to no support arms, she called DirecTV and was told it would cost her to have a tech come out.
When my father-in-law was upgraded to a SL3 and HD, I went over and made sure the installer put on the support arms, he didn't want too. The last installer who came to my house for my DVR upgrade had a large box of loose support arms in the back of his van.

Are the support arms required for the SL3 and SL5 dishes? or just an option if the installer thinks they are needed?

It is a good practice to use at least one. Every service call I have done for lost signal has involved masts pulled out by wind and loose. The structure of the base will control the up and down windage...it is the left to right load that needs control. One pole is enough.

The only times I have not used a support (monopole) is when the customer has objected to more holes in his building..........let him learn.

Joe

1. It not complicated. The installer no matter how many degrees removed from the company still represents the company while he is there.

2. Do installers mainly do to how they are paid and how many hands said money goes though get the screw job. Yes but I reference the directv company wide there's the door policy. It seems to apply from Techs to even upper management apparently.

3. If you cant do a basic neat install see item two for resolution

4. Directv Home Services is ever growing and from what I been hearing dealing with the company it self is alot better then dealing with any hsp .

But this all comes down to attitude, I get a tech who comes out does a nice clean neat job picks up after him self and does not leave long pieces ofrg6 or cable times all over the place or boxes, the tech will get a tip. If they do the opposite well I come down on them, called I know your job sucks but dont take it out on my place.

Stone,

I do a neat job because I am in the home of a friend or neighbor; at a minimum a person I would like to keep as a customer. ...I am there because some other Directv representative has failed to follow your list.

Word is out on the street....there is a good chance you will not be paid for satellite work. Directv is going to have to man up and abide by employment law. They have pretty well burned the contractor model. (IMHO)

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts