Service unavailable (8)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

insaneoctane

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
When I click arrow right for apps i get this error on my receivers (hr34 and dvr and hd receiver). Install happened Friday! Also pandora not showing up on hr34. Ideas?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Do either a red button reset on the front of the receiver or through the menu/settings. It should bring the apps back. My apps have been dropping out constantly lately. It's getting quite annoying. Pandora should show up a little later. They might not show up immediately.

S~

Some who claim ties to DIRECTV say that TV Apps is one of several features that will ultimately disappear altogether. Media Play is another.

Make sure your receivers indicate that they are Internet connected. It might also help if you put the receivers in standby overnight until everything is running smoothly.

If it doesn't show up within a week, you might want to call DIRECTV.

That answers that part. I have 24s. I am getting annoyed with the apps constantly dropping.

S~

All receivers are having an issue with apps, game lounge, and other features right now. Received the blast fact on it about a week ago. Directv knows and isn't setting up service calls for it since its an issue known across the nation

harshness said:
Some who claim ties to DIRECTV say that TV Apps is one of several features that will ultimately disappear altogether. Media Play is another.

Make sure your receivers indicate that they are Internet connected. It might also help if you put the receivers in standby overnight until everything is running smoothly.

Who says this? I haven't heard anything

i hope this includes the useless widgets that imo contribute to some of the lag.

A couple of DIRECTV supporters that regularly post defenses of DIRECTV's business decisions on the other site. One is a moderator. Both claim to have sources at DIRECTV.

Here's a definitive statement (albeit from a third party):

DBSTalk.Com - View Single Post - TV APPS almost worthless?

I hope this means they are going to drop them. Like Rey says, it probably affects the functionality of the boxes work. Not developing the apps isn't the same as removing them, though. They may continue to support them without developing them.

I hope this means they are going to drop them. Like Rey says, it probably affects the functionality of the boxes work. Not developing the apps isn't the same as removing them, though. They may continue to support them without developing them.

it sounds like the idea is to replace them with something else but i don't know with what. i'm all for removing these apps in exchange for stability and speed.

As I mentioned to Rey, I do not think that taking these away is a good idea if the competition offers them, and Dish offers many of them, and some others.

I just do not see the advantage at first glance, even if they get the stability and speed up. At best then, looking strictly at the boxes, they will have equipment that is comparable speed wise, but lacks features. And that is if they can get the speed to match the competition, which I am not so sure that they can do with the current hardware.

Just my opinion, and obviously without knowledge of what, if anything they are replacing them with.

I wonder how many people use the apps with any regularity, much less are even aware of them. I use my computer for that sort of thing. It's much better at it. Why would I ride my bicycle ten miles to go to Walmart if I have a car?

i hope this includes the useless widgets that imo contribute to some of the lag.
As they haven't removed the other features that they've lost interest in supporting, this doesn't seem entirely likely. Then again, it seems like they've dredged up DIRECTV2PC at least once.

I wonder how many people use the apps with any regularity, much less are even aware of them. I use my computer for that sort of thing. It's much better at it. Why would I ride my bicycle ten miles to go to Walmart if I have a car?
Perhaps Walmart isn't a very good example as you'll likely need more capacity than your bicycle offers to haul the goods.

I imagine that the average car consumes about $4 for such a trip while the bicycle contributes to everyone's health so if you were going there to buy a birthday card or a box lunch, the bicycle might be just the ticket to avoid doubling the cost. Of course this depends on whether you have the additional time.

The cost of apps and widgets is unknown. It is reasonable to assume that they take up flash memory space but it isn't fair to blame them for overall poor performance if they aren't being engaged.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts