Set up D12-100 receiver with Sl5s Satellite

Status
Please reply by conversation.

roberto_f69

Original poster
Hi everyone, I have been lurking here reading forums for roughly 5 years, just finding answers to setup problems I've had over the years, but there is one I haven't been able to find or solve for a while now so I decided to finally create an account and join in.

Now to the problem at hand. I have a d12-100 box I use at home on my swm system with an hd-dvr, an hd- receiver and 1 other d12-100. I have no problem using it at home on the setup installed by dtv. The problem is at my trailer where I have taken the d12 and installed an sl5s satellite my brother had laying around at home. Keep in mind the setup at home and trailer are the same, identical dish, pi, and splitter.

I have set up the dish plumb, ran the coaxial from sat to splitter, then splitter to power inserter, then pi to receiver. The problem comes when I try searching for signal, it keeps telling me "cannot detect swm". I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here but I just can't figure it out. Receiver is set to same setting as back home.

Do I need to change settings since it's only a d12 and no hd receivers? Would I even need pi for this receiver? Should I just set it as an oval 3lnb sat since the box can't even read the 99 and 103 sats and search for the 110 sat as center instead of the 101? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.

Robert

Heres what I would do ... the D12 is normally a recvr that will work without SWM as far as I know, seeing how old it is.
I would skip the PI and if this is the only recvr in the system, run coax from the LNB to the recvr, IF the dish is pointed correctly, you should have video.

You don't NEED a SWM set up unless your using the Genies or newer for the most part.

Reactions: roberto_f69
No, that won't work reliably because the LNB is SWM, and you need the PI. You probably have the PI connected into the wrong splitter port, it needs to be into the power passing port. But with only one receiver you don't need the splitter. Dish to PI, PI to receiver.

Ok, I'll give it a try bypassing the splitter. I have it connected on the correct port. My brother and I would use this setup at work only he would take his hd-dvr. Do I set sat type to 3lnb? Of 5lnb? Or 5s lnb at setup. I can't work it right now as its raining, but as soon as I give it a try I will let you all know how it goes.

No, that won't work reliably because the LNB is SWM, and you need the PI. You probably have the PI connected into the wrong splitter port, it needs to be into the power passing port. But with only one receiver you don't need the splitter. Dish to PI, PI to receiver.
Good call, I forgot the LNB needs to be changed back for that to work.

I think keeping the SWM and PI in play would make it easier for him so he wouldn't have to be changing setting when going back the other way.

Reactions: roberto_f69
Ok guys I just want to update you all and thank you for all your help. I bypassed the splitter and the receiver started reading the swm. I messed with the satellite a little and adjusted it and it started working great. I am picking up sats 101, 110, and 119 with over 90% signal strength. I'm not getting locals as it seems I'm to far away from the spot beam but am getting everything else. Again thank you all for all your help, I really appreciate all the help I got.

Just to check, what's yopur "home" zip code (for locals)

78582 is my home zip, currently working at 76011, it's about 500 miles, furthest I've gone and had working locals was about 250 miles, but that was using an hd-dvr reciever, don't think it matters though unless locals are on the 99 or 103 sats.

78582 is my home zip, currently working at 76011, it's about 500 miles, furthest I've gone and had working locals was about 250 miles, but that was using an hd-dvr reciever, don't think it matters though unless locals are on the 99 or 103 sats.
I get down to the Rio Grande Valley every year for a few weeks and get the locals from Brownsville/Halingen, however it's always been with HD set up, being on the 99 or 103.
This year I'm going backwards and back to SD with a Quest dome set up.
From what your saying, there are no Sd locals down there, that very well may be correct, I haven't checked yet.
I'm planning to take my AM21 and the HR24 and an OTA antenna (just a small one) so I can still record my locals.

The SD locals in 78582 are on 119, so unless you are using a slimline 5 or a Phase III oval dish you would not get them anyway.

I am using a slimeline 5s, only that the receiver is a d12-100. I get locals on this box back home but out here in Louisiana where I'm at the local channels say they are blacked out. I'm thinking it's more that I'm too far away from the spot beam to get RGV locals, I might need to look up what channels the locals here are and check if I get them instead.

No, you are much too far away. And you can't get locals except your "home" ones.......

I am using a slimeline 5s, only that the receiver is a d12-100. I get locals on this box back home but out here in Louisiana where I'm at the local channels say they are blacked out. I'm thinking it's more that I'm too far away from the spot beam to get RGV locals, I might need to look up what channels the locals here are and check if I get them instead.
Way too far away ... I wouldn't be surprised if they don't even make it up to Houston.

Status
Please reply by conversation.