Setting up a new receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nimsjus

Original poster
Sep 13, 2010
Columbus GA
We got a tv for the deck and now I need to get a receiver setup out there. Direct seems to be encouraging me to pay for the box and then another 50$ for setup. Can someone walk me through how to do the setup myself if I get the receiver from them and decline their 50$ setup appointment? Is there some kind of activation required or is it something I can do without a technician? I have done tailgate setups with dishnetwork so I am vaguely familiar with some of the things involved in setting up a box but I have never done it with my direct equipment and I've never done an initial activation on a receiver. Thanks

Last edited:
We need to know what kind of setup you have before we can suggest how to add to it.

The most important questions is whether or not you have any HD receivers now and what kind of receiver (HD or SD) you're acquiring.

It might also help to know how long it has been since DIRECTV last installed any gear in your home.

There are several other questions that hinge on your answer to the above questions.

It could be anywhere from running a cable and attaching it to a new/additional multi-switch or LNB assembly.

another question to have answered along with what Harshness posted above;

Are you wanting to be able to tune / view individual / unique channels at this location versus the others in your system?

One more thought for you, do you have RG6 cable run to the location where you want to put the new receiver? If not, do you have a way to get it there from the multiswitch, i.e. through the attic or crawlspace?

I have a directv slimline dish. Currently we have one dvr hd setup in the living room and a separate hd box for our bedroom. We do not have the whole house dvr setup. My plan was to get a hd box for the patio. I would like to be able to watch the tv on the patio independently of the ones in the house. The location is wired already. Last setup from direct was when we moved memorial day weekend. They just came out and put a dish on the ground and reconnected our equipment from our previous home. Thanks for the help guys.

I have a directv slimline dish. Currently we have one dvr hd setup in the living room and a separate hd box for our bedroom. We do not have the whole house dvr setup. My plan was to get a hd box for the patio. I would like to be able to watch the tv on the patio independently of the ones in the house. The location is wired already. Last setup from direct was when we moved memorial day weekend. They just came out and put a dish on the ground and reconnected our equipment from our previous home. Thanks for the help guys.

OK, you have a Slimline dish with 4 leads coming out of the LNB , going to a ground block and three of them are going to recvrs, 2 to the HD DVR and 1 to the other recvr in the bedroom. From what it sounds like.

Ok that should leave you 1 available line left from the LNB, run a piece of RG6 coax from there to your new recvr, hook it up, turn iit on, should have something on channel 1 , 100 possibly 200.

Call D* to activate or activate it online.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts