setting up dual tuners on dish 500 system

country_cinderella

Original poster
Aug 12, 2010
St. Louis, Missouri area
Hello I could use some help. I have a Dish 500 with a Quad LNB (I am not sure if it is a regular Quad or a Pro Quad) and 2 recievers. There are no switches other than what is built into the LNB. One reciever is a 625 that I use for dual tuning/recording on 1 television and the other reciever is currently a 508. I have two cables going to the 625 so that I can use the dual tuner abilities in it. There is only one cable going to the 508. I would like to upgrade the 508 to a 625 so that room can also have dual tuning cababilities.

My problem is getting another cable to that location for the dual tuning. If I understand the other posts I read, there is a LNB that I can use that will work with one cable. After reading so many different posts I was starting to confuse myself as to what exactly I will need. It is easier for me to change the LNB and to add any splitters or switches I might need, instead of trying to add another cable to the room where I want to upgrade the reciever.

Can someone please tell me what parts I will need to make my existing cabling work. Also can you specify whether I can continue to use 2 cables in the room that already has them or will I have to eliminate one and use a splitter or switch if I change the LNB

Thanks for any help :)

Not only will it pick up 110/119, but if you're reasonably careful, you can pull off your quad and install the DPP twin without upstetting the dish alignment.

Yeah changing the LNB is not difficult for me at all. oh shoot I just remebered that there the yoke for the Quad on there. I will have to change that too won't I? That might be more difficult to change because the bolts were testy the last time I tried to trouble shoot my connections. If I change to a Pro Plus Quad will I have to still use only one cable and a seperator in the room where I already have 2 cables or can I use the 2 cables in that room and 1 cable with a seperator in the other room?

Thanks for the help. I have looked at pictures of the DPP twin and realize it is the same size as a dp quad so I should have no trouble at all changing the LNB. I have also found out that the new dual tuner reciever that I want to install comes with a seperator, and I still have the one that came with the dual tuner I already have installed, so it looks like it will be easy for me to solve my problem. Thanks again for the help

I recommend stainless steel hardware to eliminate nuts and bolts that corrode over time and make your life difficult. ;)

The quad you have is like a second generation system parts. The dish pro plus LNB and seperator are the next generation. Which allow one cable to do the same as two cables for the quad. Replace old LNB with new DPP LNB add seperator behind receiver to cable connected to dish and run check switch.

the dpp twin and the dp twin lnb are the exact same size, you just unscrew the two small screws, replace lnb, put screws back on, and you're good to go. as mentioned, you'll need to put a separator behind each dual tuner box

as for the dual cable, since you will only need one cable, you can use the secondary one directly into the tv 2 port to backfeed, unless you already have it diplexed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts