Setting up everything

Homestead

Original poster
Nov 26, 2014
Springfield, MO
I got a CW 700S receiver, and dish. Looking for information on how to set it up. I was able to get a menu screen, but dont know what i am doing from there. In the pile of stuff I got, is a strength meter as well. Not sure what else to tell anyone, but can try to answer any questions. Thank you :)

(I am assuming you will be using a Ku band dish to start learning with.)

Step 1 is usually deciding which satellite to tune in.
Galaxy 19 at 97w is usually a good first choice for Ku band.
Try www.lyngsat.com to see what's available.
www.sathint.com is another source.

Next, the LNB LO or LNB Frequency setting will be determined by finding out what type of lnb you have.

www.geosatfinder.com will help you aim dish.

Last edited:
:welcomeHomestead! Could you please give more details about the type (C or KU) and size of your dish and lnb that is on it. Also, what else was included with the dish besides the meter? Motor? If you are unsure of anything you have and could post some pics that would be great. The CaptiveWorks 700S is an older DVB only receiver. It may be good to help you get started in FTA but you may want to consider upgrading to a DVB-S2 (the new standard that many channels are switching to) capable receiver in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: k.r.
The dish that came with it, still mounted to a pole has "itbusa.net on it. Its about the size of standard Direct tv/Dish/etc dishes. If I understand it right, the "LNB" which is the thing pointing at the dish, has a Quad Polar Legacy 4 O/P lnb (thats whats written on it). I am not sure of its a C or Ku. It is more round and 34" across. Will try to post pictures of the dish and lnb shortly.

The dish that came with it, still mounted to a pole has "itbusa.net on it. Its about the size of standard Direct tv/Dish/etc dishes. If I understand it right, the "LNB" which is the thing pointing at the dish, has a Quad Polar Legacy 4 O/P lnb (thats whats written on it). I am not sure of its a C or Ku. It is more round and 34" across. Will try to post pictures of the dish and lnb shortly.
If dish is 34" then it is ku. If this is your lnb: http://www.homevisiontech.com/quad-polar-legacy-4-o-p-lnbf-c-l-combo.html it is ku as well and has both linear (FTA) and circular (Pay TV) capabilities. Reason dish size is important is because the smaller the dish the harder it is to receive the lower powered FTA signals. If there is no motor you will need to decide which satellite you want to point your stationary dish at. Do you have the pole cemented in the ground yet? As someone above mentioned, 97W is good to start with as it has strong signals and is still DVB. A lot of the programming is foreign language international but there are also some good English channels there as well.

Reactions: Homestead
Welcome to Satelliteguys!
The LNBF should have 4 connectors on the bottom. Two labeled L and two labeled C. L stands for Linear. That's what we use for FTA. The C is for DSS circular. Pick a place where you can see the southern sky and especially 97West. www/dishpointer.com will place a line on an overhead view of your location. Zoom in for accurate placement and to see any obstructions. Run good quality RG-6 from one L connector to the receiver. Aim at Galaxy 19 at 97W.
Once you get it 'planted' we can help with the aiming procedure.

And if the CW 700S came with an Ethernet to USB dongle, DO NOT hook it up.
You might get a knock on your door. There may be a reason this model came with a circular
capable lnb.

The pole that came with the dish is slipped over the old short pole that was here when i bought the place. Its a snug fit, but i can take the dish off and attach it to the pole thats cemented in (by dish or Direct tv...)

It has a 4 in 1 diseqc that has the cables plugged into it. Not sure if they are hooked up right, but I am guess from FaT Air's info, I only need a cable from the "L" marked lnb. There is a cable thats behind the dish, is that the motor? Where would that get connected?

dishmotor.jpg

The pole that came with the dish is slipped over the old short pole that was here when i bought the place. Its a snug fit, but i can take the dish off and attach it to the pole thats cemented in (by dish or Direct tv...)
I just did that with mine. I wanted a higher pole to get a clearer shot at the sky for my motorized ku dish. I had one that slipped right over the original DirecTV pole. As long as it's a snug fit (no play) and plumb you should be ok with that. It would be a good idea to drill a couple holes and put in some screws to keep it from turning on the other pole in case you get strong winds.

Last edited:
It has a 4 in 1 diseqc that has the cables plugged into it. Not sure if they are hooked up right, but I am guess from FaT Air's info, I only need a cable from the "L" marked lnb. There is a cable thats behind the dish, is that the motor? Where would that get connected?
View attachment 102958
Good, you have a motor. That gives you a lot better choice of things to watch. You need to make sure the motor/dish assembly is rotated on the mast, as a whole unit, to your true south. Use dishpointer.com as FatAir said to find it. You can either use a compass or find a reference point on the ground that is on the line FatAir mentioned. One of the L connectors gets attached to the LNB in port on the motor. The other port on the motor goes to your receiver. PS: Make sure power is disconnected to receiver whenever attaching/removing cables from lnb, switches, etc as it may do damage if it isn't.

Last edited:
I may have to go rewire some of it.
connector.jpg

The top two go straight to lnb. On the bottom row, the left goes to lnb, middle one goes into the house/receiver, and the last on right is the motor wire. Can I bypass all of that and connect one of the "L" lnb to the other port on the motor? I couldnt see anything that said what the two ports were on the motor.

I may have to go rewire some of it.
View attachment 102959

The top two go straight to lnb. On the bottom row, the left goes to lnb, middle one goes into the house/receiver, and the last on right is the motor wire. Can I bypass all of that and connect one of the "L" lnb to the other port on the motor? I couldnt see anything that said what the two ports were on the motor.
Yes, you can bypass the diseqc switch altogether (probably best when just starting out) and hook the lnb directly to the lnb in on the motor. Ports on motor should be marked in some way as lnb and receiver. Is there any label on the motor that shows brand/model?

FTA4PA-I didnt see anything saying what brand the motor is, but i did get up closer with ladder and found the ports labled. I used the diseqc to make the motor cable reach the cable running into the house. Motor is plugged into one marked for lnb. If that wont work, mayb I can buy a connector to make the two cables reach.

FTA4PA-I didnt see anything saying what brand the motor is, but i did get up closer with ladder and found the ports labled. I used the diseqc to make the motor cable reach the cable running into the house. Motor is plugged into one marked for lnb. If that wont work, mayb I can buy a connector to make the two cables reach.
It isn't recommended to run a motor after the diseqc as most diseqc's aren't rated to pass the current that the motor will draw. Some can handle it, and I have heard of some people doing it, but best if you can extend the coax enough to get to the motor without it. If using a barrel connector
41PsUn18UBL._SL75_SS50_.jpg
to extend the coax make sure you seal everything water-tight. I use this: http://www.lowes.com/pd_78453-98-2155_0__?productId=3129711 Also, make sure all the coax is good quality RG6, not RG59.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts