Setting up my BUD for Dish Network

clayf

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
I am expermenting with using my BUD (a solid aluminum 8') to receive Dish Network signals. I have borrowed an authorized, legal, Dish receiver (an old 2800 single feed) and I have installed a factory made scalar mount which included a DUAL feed LNBF. I am pointed at 119. My in line signal meter and the signal strength graphic in the set up screen show a strong signal, but all I am getting is the "Aquiring Satellite" message.

My questions:
Can I use a dual feed LNBF with this receiver?

Is there any advantage to being able to move to any Dish satellite in the sky if I eventually get my own receiver and subscribe?

If it turns out that it is a waste of time messing with this, can I use this LNBF set up with a FTA reciever and have any fun with it?

Thanks for any help and advice you guys can give

Is the signal strength bar locked and green? If red you are aimed at the wrong satellite.

BUD usually have too fine a pointing to be really usable for DISH or Directv. Any slop in repeating to the location can mean no signal or where satellites are co-located a 1/2 degree apart may mean you miss some of the channels. You might be aimed at 119 but it could be D* at 119 which the 2800 wouldn't recognize.

Last edited:
Clay -
If you've got an 8' solid, I think you need to come over to the FTA/BUD department, and post us a few pictures.
We can take care of you and get you FTA'n your head off ! - :D
... and we won't be talking' 'bout no Dish Network, either!

Thanks Anole
I'm already there- my second bud is a mesh 10' which I use with my pansat 3500SD exclusively for FTA. The solid 8' is used for 4DTV, but I can see that I will eventually be forced into a small dish or something for my main programming. Being an old school dish guy (starting in 1984 when everything was free) I chafe at not being in control of my own equipment or having to settle for getting what everyone else gets. So I am trying to find a way to use my old 8' friend into the future.

Thanks Scott
I am starting to come to that conclusion. However, my mother in law lives next door and when the installer set up her Dish Network he told me that he only had to use one satellite. Her dish has one wire and no switches. Am I missing something? I do understand that in order to get HD you need to see more than one satellite.

wrong

Thanks Scott
I am starting to come to that conclusion. However, my mother in law lives next door and when the installer set up her Dish Network he told me that he only had to use one satellite. Her dish has one wire and no switches. Am I missing something? I do understand that in order to get HD you need to see more than one satellite.

He only had to use 1 sat dish but it has multiple sats being received by that 1 dish. It had 2 or 3 being pickup by the LNBF assembly. You could use an 8 ft if you use 3 feeds. One centered on 119 then one on west side bouncing to 110 and the one on east side for 129. Or it could be used for 72.7 center, 77 on east side and 61.5 on west side. Thing is it shouldn't be a moving dish or it might be a problem to get the LNBF's realigned to the sats.

Well, now that sounds like a fun challange. My ultimate plan would be to lock down the dish in the right position, so this might work. Thanks

installing 2 lnbs on the dish might be a fun project. if you can get the spacing correct to see the 2 satellites, or even 3 satellites 110-119,129., use a dp3x4 switch and never have rain fade again :)

Thats the direction I seem to be heading. I'm sure I'll be back for help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)