Titanium Satellite Setting up old ASC1

Sinsky

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2020
Truckee, CA
I decommissioned my whole C Band satellite system a few years ago, and now I want to set it up again. I hooked up the ASC1 again to my ribbon cable and my Amiko Mini HD SE and turned it on and tried to move it to another satellite, but there is no evidence that the ASC1 is moving the dish. How can I diagnose the problem?

This could either be a STB setting, ASC1 setting, incorrect wire placement, failure, etc.

What is on the ASC1 front display? Does the position count change if the front panel East/West buttons are pressed?

Does an error message appear when the front panel East/West buttons are pressed?

Does the ASC1 polarity indicator (arrow to the right of Horizontal and Vertival lines) change when the STB transponder is changed between a horizontal and a vertical?

Are DiSEqC 1.2 motor assignment number settings saved in the STB?

Are satellite position and motor assignment settings saved in the ASC1?

Does the HH motor move with ASC1 disconnected and using a 12vdc battery?

Reactions: FTA4PA
I stopped by an talked to you the other day, and i ended up finding the remote.

It is stuck on position 427 and when I push the east/west button when on "position", nothing happens.

The arrow pointer goes up and down. Not sure how to check if the motor assingment settings were saved.

In order to test the HH motor, how big of a 12v power supply do I need? And can I just connect the 12v to the leads in the house and also outside too? How do I direct the direction of the dish. I think it may be parked on the eastern horizon (less windy in that position).

Also I was asking you how to set the wiring up, but when I carefully looked at the ASC, I noticed I had actually marked which wire went where.

In order to test the HH motor, how big of a 12v power supply do I need? And can I just connect the 12v to the leads in the house and also outside too? How do I direct the direction of the dish. I think it may be parked on the eastern horizon (less windy in that position).
Any good charged 12VDC tractor or car battery will work. You could try it at the dish and then in the house. If it works at the dish but not inside then you have an issue with wire continuity. If it goes in the wrong direction just flip the wires to move the opposite way. :)

The polarity indicator arrow changing indicates that the ASC1 is sensing the STB LNB power changes.

Are you pressing East / West on the ASC1 front panel or using the remote control?

Pressing East or West button on the front panel will either move the dish with the counter incrementing or not move and display an error message on the ASC1 LCD.

Is the ASC1 rear power selection switch set to 115Vac?

The polarity indicator arrow changing indicates that the ASC1 is sensing the STB LNB power changes.

Are you pressing East / West on the ASC1 front panel or using the remote control?

Pressing East or West button on the front panel will either move the dish with the counter incrementing or not move and display an error message on the ASC1 LCD.

Is the ASC1 rear power selection switch set to 115Vac?
I am pressing the East/West from both, and it doesn't move. Yes 115Vac. I am going to go outside and put a battery to the motor to see if the motor is ok.

So I went out to the dish, and the wires going to the gang block were pretty old, so I cut the ends off and stripped some new wire. I hooked the motor of the H2H to my car battery and it moved it. And when I was moving the wires in the ribbon away from the fuse block to hook up the car battery, they sparked when they momently touched each other, so the ribbon wire was hot from the house. But when hooked back up and attemped to move from the house nothing happens.

When I move the arrow down to the Horiz and Vert options, I can then move the degree offset from the east/west buttons, but apparently not when the arrow is at the "Position" locationl

FYI... ALWAYS turn the ASC1 master power off when connecting / disconnecting distribution wires and coax.

With the ASC1 power on, the sensor wire S1 has power. I would expect to see a spark if this wire was shorted to ground.

The M1 /M2 wires only have power when the motor is being driven East or West. With a VOM test M1/M2 wires for momentary DC voltage when either East or West front panel button is pressed. The VOM should momentarily display 28-36Vdc. If no motor movement (or return reed switch open / close cycles), the ASC1 with cut M1 / M2 power and display an error message on the front LCD panel.

Did you try moving the dish from inside using the 12Vdc battery connected to the motor M1 / M2 wires coming in from the dish (disconnected from the ASC1)?

So I went out to the dish, and the wires going to the gang block were pretty old, so I cut the ends off and stripped some new wire. I hooked the motor of the H2H to my car battery and it moved it. And when I was moving the wires in the ribbon away from the fuse block to hook up the car battery, they sparked when they momently touched each other, so the ribbon wire was hot from the house. But when hooked back up and attemped to move from the house nothing happens.

When I move the arrow down to the Horiz and Vert options, I can then move the degree offset from the east/west buttons, but apparently not when the arrow is at the "Position" locationl
FYI... ALWAYS turn the ASC1 master power off when connecting / disconnecting distribution wires and coax.

With the ASC1 power on, the sensor wire S1 has power. I would expect to see a spark if this wire was shorted to ground.

The M1 /M2 wires only have power when the motor is being driven East or West. With a VOM test M1/M2 wires for momentary DC voltage when either East or West front panel button is pressed. The VOM should momentarily display 28-36Vdc. If no motor movement (or return reed switch open / close cycles), the ASC1 with cut M1 / M2 power and display an error message on the front LCD panel.

Did you try moving the dish from inside using the 12Vdc battery connected to the motor M1 / M2 wires coming in from the dish (disconnected from the ASC1)?
ASC1 was turned off when it sparked at the satellite. I tested the M1-M2 wires when I bumped the east west and no voltage. Also, when we talked the other day, you told me not to hook up the green ground from the satellite (not that I would know where to hook it up)- could that be the problem that it isn't grounded?

What is the motor assignment number displayed on the ASC1? If no motor assignment number has been sent by the STB or manually selected, there will not be any motor voltage or error message.

Connecting the distribution wire shield to the motor ground has nothing to do with any problem that has been described. Floating the shield from the motor while attached to the GND terminal on the controller creates a drain for electical noise rather than creating a ground path with a voltage potential.

14:

I will go out and get a battery to hook up to the red and white wire going to the dish to see if the battery moves. I am just waiting for it to warm up.

14:

I will go out and get a battery to hook up to the red and white wire going to the dish to see if the battery moves. I am just waiting for it to warm up.
I was hoping Brian responded before this.
Stop! What battery to red and white wires leading to where? The battery wont move but the whole unit (ASC1) may move to Brian's shop care of UPS or FedEX.
The sensor wires from the ASC1 to your dish motor already have voltage at them and are designed to be open/shorted by way of a reed switch. Please don't try to apply any voltage to them. Please!
Also, the counter wont increment unless the motor is activate. The sensor circuit that does the counting is disabled while the dish is stationary (re: Brian).
He can carry on from here.

I was hoping Brian responded before this.
Stop! What battery to red and white wires leading to where? The battery wont move but the whole unit (ASC1) may move to Brian's shop care of UPS or FedEX.
The sensor wires from the ASC1 to your dish motor already have voltage at them and are designed to be open/shorted by way of a reed switch. Please don't try to apply any voltage to them. Please!
Also, the counter wont increment unless the motor is activate. The sensor circuit that does the counting is disabled while the dish is stationary (re: Brian).
He can carry on from here.
I am talking about the red and white wires going to the sateliite from the ASC1. So it will be out of the loop.

So by attaching the big wires (red and white) on my ribbon wire going to the satllite, (and disonnnecting the ASC1 from the loop) by touching the wires to the battery, it should move my horizon to horizon motor, right?

I am talking about the red and white wires going to the sateliite from the ASC1. So it will be out of the loop.

So by attaching the big wires (red and white) on my ribbon wire going to the satllite, (and disonnnecting the ASC1 from the loop) by touching the wires to the battery, it should move my horizon to horizon motor, right?
The motor wires, yes. Sensor wires....definite no.
A 12V battery should do it. Until you hit the limits set by the motor limit switches.
But leaving the sensor wires connected (ASC1) will have no effect on displayed counts as the motor moves the dish.
Brian! haha

Hey everyone, thanks for the help.... I give in... I will hire someone to come out here and set this thing up. I am wasting too much time and might as well pay someone to get it all dialed in for me.

Brian, thanks for the time you spent helping us out. HUGE help. It looks like my main problem (there were a few) was that I thought the "Rec" output on the ASC1 went to some sort of recorder, and not the receiver, so that is why nothing was moving. Now that the service tech has set up my satellite positions, I am watching every video I can find to figure out how to use the Amiko, so I don't mess it all up. Thanks again, for spending over an hour on the phone with us.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)