Setup question--Video out to 2nd TV?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dshlaw

Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
I have a Directv HD DVR, and I want a 2nd TV in an adjacent room to display the same thing that is playing on my main TV. I have my main TV running via component video (and optical audio) through my Onkyo Receiver. There is a normal cable (RJ45?) running from the area of the HD DVR and Onkyo receiver to the 2nd television. Is there a way to run the signal to the 2nd TV?

Not 100% sure what you mean by "normal cable" - I assume that might be coax RG6 cable? You didn't say if you 2nd TV needs to be fed component, s-video, composite, or what; so I assumed component for the best PQ since you want to come off you HD-DVR. I also didn't see any mention of the model of your DirecTV HD-DVR; depending, that may offer some varied other solutions.

I would just get another receiver for the BEST PQ possible and I think this will only downgrade your overall display quality but it will get you what you want if that PQ is acceptable..

Standard RGB RG-59/u Component Video Splitter

PREMIUM RGB RG-6/u Component Video Splitter

Last edited:
Thank, Charper. I guess a simpler question is will 2 of the video out options on my HD DVR work at the same time (w/o hurting display quality on my main TV). And, yes, I believe the cable to my 2nd tv is RG6?

dshlaw said:
Thank, Charper. I guess a simpler question is will 2 of the video out options on my HD DVR work at the same time (w/o hurting display quality on my main TV). And, yes, I believe the cable to my 2nd tv is RG6?

I run both of the composite/audio signals from the back of my D10 at the same time, works fine. On my H10 I send HDMI to an HDTV and composite video to a computer, that works fine also.

dshlaw said:

When using multiple outputs off the back of the receiver that will not hurt PQ, its when you split or separate signals. I was asking because I didn't know which connections you were trying to use at the 2nd TV. If you are wanting to send the HD, then you can't use the s-video or composite (except to get downrez'd). So depending on what YOU are wanting to do, is the ONLY thing to lead us to YOUR specific solution.

The RJ6 cable is running to the second TV. I'm not concerned with its picture quality--just a small TV in front of a treadmill. My HD DVR is the HR10-250 w/ Tivo.

And if that is working to your satisfaction then you are cool, but the RG6 is the worst PQ of all the options. However, that being said, it sound as this is used only during use of your treadmill so as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Wisconsin HD Locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)