SG2100 Motor Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Blindowl1234

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
SouthWest Ohio
I've had a DMSI SG2100 motor for about two years and I'm having issues with it. I've complained since I got it that it appears that theres' a lot of slack in the motor. I decided yesterday to take down the 30" Fortec dish and try putting up my 36" Primestar in its place. I switched the mount from the Fortec dish and mounted it on the Primestar dish....Just trying to lighten the load a bit. It moves ok but as I was checking for play in the motor shaft I noticed its worse than it was last summer. I'm guessing its between 1/8" to little less than 1/4" of play. Wasn't there a thread way back on adjusting the slack on this motor?
I'm guessing the Primestar isn't too heavy to begin with? There shouldn't be this much play in the motor shaft......Thanks Blind:)

I have a 5+ year old SG2100 that runs fine, so when I bought another last year, I was surprised that it was junk, returned it twice. Finally got an SG6000, that work fine.
I also picked up a 380 out of Sadouns Bargain Bin, it runs very nice.

'da motos

The SG2100's use a plastic piece as the follower, and can be tightened to the cam. Take the cover off, and move the follower a little closer to the cam, which will tighten up the movement a little. Add some grease to it, will make it move easier when tight...

Pansat's moto uses metal follower, makes it a little more rugged and stronger for heavier dishes. Have not looked at 6000's yet.

All motors have gears, grease them up occasionally, do not let them get dry.

Looseness causes non-performance in exacting the return to a satellite. Wind plays havoc with them. Install dish where wind will not hit satellite as much as up high, or at certain corner of house. One day, wind comes from west, you install. Wind changes next day to come from east. One or more satellites are off-centered because of wind ingress. If your hobby, not a prob, just reset rec. mem...If you put in for client, big prob...

Moto doesn't move far enough east or west? Take cover off, move limit switches so it will move farther...

Thanks guys I'll mess with it tonight and see what happens...Mine is supposed to be the real thing. It wasn't right from day one in my opinion...Blind

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)