SG2100 & USALS Trouble

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Panavision

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 23, 2007
St. Louis Park, Minnesota
I have a dish on an SG2100 motor connected to a GeoSatPro DSR-200c. I prefer to use USALS when setting up the motor because it gets me in the neighborhood. Then I manually adjust east or west slightly to peak. I save this position. When I go back to watching TV and I want to change to this new sat I programmed, the motor returns to the USALS position for the sat, not the tweaked position I saved.

After going through this a while, I tried Diseqc 1.2 and saved all my sats in that protocol. I got rid of my first problem, but now the motor sometimes won't move to a sat position at all. Also, the LED on my motor flashes red every once and a while.

I've tried "reset position" before resaving, but I don't think this does anything. I can just imagine my motor having to deal with ten or more different position "markers" that I've saved for one sat.

I never have trouble with this motor using my Quali-tv receiver.

My last action was resetting the motor with a paper clip. We'll see if this helps...

Has anyone had similar issues?

Never have observed a Flashing Red LED on a SG2100. A flashing Yellow LED indicates the motor is receiving a DiSEqC command. A solid Yellow LED indicates a hardware limit is reached, a motor electrical or mechanical fault.

No chance that your motor has run out of memory. The SG2100 motor has memory for 60 satellites. The GEOSATpro DSR100c / 200c and DVR1100c receivers automatically assign a memory number to each satellite in the satellite list. The receiver does not assign an additional memory each time you save a satellite position, it uses the same memory number and assigns to the new dish aiming position.

You're right, Brian, it's a yellow LED on the motor. The LED flickers yellow every 5 seconds after I've manually moved the motor ("manual" as in I move the motor using East and West controls). When I command the motor to go to a sat, the LED stays green. From what you've said, it sounds like the receiver is sending some sort of command to the motor for no reason or there's an electrical problem. I've tried replacing the coax to the motor, but this made no difference in motor behavior.

I'd say I need a new motor, but it only exhibits this behavior with the GeoSatPro.

Is anyone else using a DSR-200c with an SG2100?

At work we have a 7 year-old SG2100 that runs exclusively on GEOSATpro receivers and at home I use the GEOSATpro GS120 motor (same manufacturer) interchanged between GEOSATpro DVR1100c and several HD development receivers.

Trouble Shooting Hint: If you have a cheap inline meter with the 22KHz indicator light, the LED will rapidly flash if connected to a STB when issuing DiSEqC commands. Great inexpensive tool for testing for DiSEqC and 22KHz commands at the back of the receiver and at the end of a cable run!

The DiSEqC signals are different output strength on different receivers. It is possible to have a bad fitting or cable that eliminates a weaker signal. Sometimes the Signal is too strong and swaps the DiSEqC device. We have observed the negative issues resulting from both extremes and set the GEOSATpro at a standard accepted setting. The only DiSEqC 1.2 issues that I have experienced is when sharing a single motor with multiple receivers and each receiver is using DiSEqC 1.2 for motor control. If you are using your Quali-TV receiver and the GEOSATpro with DiSEqC 1.2 motor control, I would expect problems!

As the motor LED flashes orange and moves when the "EAST" or "WEST" drive is selected, we will assume that the receiver is issuing DiSEqC commands, the coax and connectors are in good condition and that the motor is not binding and capable of movement if commanded.

Test your system's USAL circuits by issuing an USALS command with the GEOSATpro and observe the SG2100 Motor LED for a blinking Orange LED to indicate that the motor is receiving the DiSEqC command and is the dish moving? Select DiSEqC 1.2 in the receiver and select "Go to Zero". Does the motor LED flicker yellow during the command and does it move to the zero position? Now, while in DiSEqC 1.2 mode, select a satellite and drive the motor to optimize reception. Select "Save". Now select "Go to Zero" and observe if the motor drives to the zero position. No select "Go to Satellite". Observe if the motor LED flashes and is the dish returns to the set satellite position. If so, then the DiSEqC circuitry of the receiver and the motor are functioning properly.

I would suggest a reset of both the motor while at the zero position and a receiver Firmware upate. Download the latest firmware by OTA-SSU Update from satellite Galaxy 19. Perform a Master Factory reset of the receiver by depressing and holding the Channel Up button on the front of the receiver while turning on the rear Master Power Switch. Once the Test menu appears, release the channel up button and Select "Load Default" then press OK. After the prompt appears on the screen, turn off the Master power Switch on the rear of the receiver for a few seconds then turn on the Master Power switch and reactivate the receiver. This process will clear any discrepancies from both the receiver and the motor.

Wow! You gave me a lot of things to look for. I appreciate your response! I should have time in the next few days to look at some of these things. I can tell you that I have the Quali-tv slaved from the DSR-200c but I've used a DC Block inline. I don't know if this makes any difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)