Shaw Direct Lost HD/Anik F2 channels - Help needed, down in Dallas!

dish_dtv

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
Long story explaining my issue, so please bear with me... :) Need help from the experts (espl. US customers with 2-dish setup).

Been a 7-year Shaw Direct customer with a 2-dish (85 cm Patriot), Pansat PT-5900 LNBFs, DTV 4x8 powered switch etc.

Recently, I lost all signal on all channels from Anik F2 (111). I could tell looking at the dish (on the roof) that the LNBF was showing it's age (cracked plastic on the eye). So, I ordered 2 Pansat PT-5900 LNBFs and replaced both dishes at the same time.

Had a tech (who claimed he could handle any Ku band). The moment he replaced the LNBFs, I got my HD channel (310 - TSN 1 HD) working. The signal strength on System status showed approx 60 and EcBNo was very low 3.1. The tech also said that the support arm for the mast had moved, so he re-fastened the mast. I explained that with a 85 cm dish, I am supposed to get 80-90% signal strength with EcbNo at least above 7.0. He made a lot of minor adjustments and I saw the signal strength jump to 90% and EcbNo 6.7. However, there was no picture on 310 (or any other HD channel).

Unfortunately, it was already 9 pm, so we ended the day. After he left, it dawned on me, if he somehow managed to get the dish on the roof also incorrectly pointed to 107. I spoke to SD tech support, and they tried to send a "Refresh" hit and nothing helped. also, the tech i spoke to wasn't familiar with 2-dish setup to offer help.

question (and possible solution from here) for the experts:
1. Is it possible for both dishes to point at 107/Anik F1R and the receiver to think signal is fine (i do get a green light on the receiver at all times, tuning into 107/F1R channels like 137,138 or to 111/F2 channels like 300, 310)? I see audio/video on 107/F1R channels, and no AV on 111/F2 channel.s
2. If that is the case, how to resolve the issue and reliably confirm that the tech is indeed locking into F2 (other than ensure that I see picture when tuned into F2 channels)?

I am enclosing the screen shot from system status. Please let me know if there's any other section or hidden keys that will help shed light on which Sats my dishes are locked into.

BTW, I have tried hard in Dallas to find someone with Canadian (specifically Shaw Direct install), but so far no luck. The only one with ku experience was the guy I paid yesterday. He was good in that he improved the signal from 60 to 90, but ended up pointing to the wrong sat (for that dish).

IMG_3180.JPG

run a line from 111 lnbf directly to your receiver and see if TSN HD works. if it does, then you have a problem either with your switch or a short in your cable

run a line from 111 lnbf directly to your receiver and see if TSN HD works. if it does, then you have a problem either with your switch or a short in your cable

Thank you. I will probably have to await my installer (for the cable run and ladder to switch the cabling to run from dish (on the roof currently routed via switch ) directly to receiver. If it works (like you outline), it's a switch. I am wondering if when I do what you propose (possibly this weekend) and if I light up the 107 channels (channel 150 - bbc world, 138 - tsn 1 SD), then it will prove my theory that he ended up pointing both dishes at 107.

I will report as soon as I get a chance to do what you propose.

Update: Confirmed dish (on roof) is now pointing to 107.

All: To do what Frenchophile proposed, I ran a line from the dish (or extended the line where it went into the switch) directly to TV. When I did that, I saw green signal. But I could not tune into any of the 111 chanels (like 300, 310). But, when I tuned to any 107 channel (150 or 138), it tuned in fine with A/V. This confirmed my thinking that my installer mistakenly locked into 107, while attempting to increase strength on 111.

The dish that I can access with my ladder is attached to the wall, currently pointing to 107. I realize that to salvage the situation, I have to re-point this to 111. Questions for the experts:
1. If I am standing behind the 107 dish, I know I am supposed to move it approx 4 degrees? Do I rotate 4 degrees to the left or right?
2. My dish is a Patriot 85 cm dish and to adjust skew, if I am standing behind the dish, which direction do I slant the LNBF to lock into 111 from107? For my location suggested Skew for 107 says +15.4 , 111 says +20.6 (5.2 degrees).
3. Before connecting via switch, can I just run a line directly from the dish to receiver and point to 111 channels and get signal strength (does switch/tone on-off setting come into play for 111)?

Thanks for the help. I want to try out some options myself. If all fails, I have to recall the installer and pay him again and have him repoint the wall dish himself to 111 and ensure I get good pic on 111 before we call it done.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad it was something so simple. to answer your questions,

1. rotate it to the west (right). 4 degrees is not a whole lot, so turn it a smidge, wait 15 seconds to see if the receiver has picked up signal, repeat. I took the receiver and TV outside, others have used walkie talkies with people inside.
2. turn the LNBF counter clockwise by 5 more degrees if going from 107 to 111
3. yes, in fact, you should run a line directly from 111 to the receiver when tuning 111. the tone is what tells the switch to, well, switch between satellites. you are physically doing that yourself.

I know you will get this in like 15 minutes tops :)

I´m sure you can take care of it yourself, and avoid calling that installer guy.

Someone posted a thread some months ago, I think it was titled something like Shaw Direct setup with 2 separate dishes, maybe you´d like to take a read at it.

I myself have a 2 dish set up for Shaw and after messing around with my dishes, to experiment with other sats, etc, pointing back the dishes and adjusting everything back is not difficult. :wink

Long story explaining my issue, so please bear with me... :) Need help from the experts (espl. US customers with 2-dish setup).

Been a 7-year Shaw Direct customer with a 2-dish (85 cm Patriot), Pansat PT-5900 LNBFs, DTV 4x8 powered switch etc.

Recently, I lost all signal on all channels from Anik F2 (111). I could tell looking at the dish (on the roof) that the LNBF was showing it's age (cracked plastic on the eye). So, I ordered 2 Pansat PT-5900 LNBFs and replaced both dishes at the same time.

Had a tech (who claimed he could handle any Ku band). The moment he replaced the LNBFs, I got my HD channel (310 - TSN 1 HD) working. The signal strength on System status showed approx 60 and EcBNo was very low 3.1. The tech also said that the support arm for the mast had moved, so he re-fastened the mast. I explained that with a 85 cm dish, I am supposed to get 80-90% signal strength with EcbNo at least above 7.0. He made a lot of minor adjustments and I saw the signal strength jump to 90% and EcbNo 6.7. However, there was no picture on 310 (or any other HD channel).

Unfortunately, it was already 9 pm, so we ended the day. After he left, it dawned on me, if he somehow managed to get the dish on the roof also incorrectly pointed to 107. I spoke to SD tech support, and they tried to send a "Refresh" hit and nothing helped. also, the tech i spoke to wasn't familiar with 2-dish setup to offer help.

question (and possible solution from here) for the experts:
1. Is it possible for both dishes to point at 107/Anik F1R and the receiver to think signal is fine (i do get a green light on the receiver at all times, tuning into 107/F1R channels like 137,138 or to 111/F2 channels like 300, 310)? I see audio/video on 107/F1R channels, and no AV on 111/F2 channel.s
2. If that is the case, how to resolve the issue and reliably confirm that the tech is indeed locking into F2 (other than ensure that I see picture when tuned into F2 channels)?

I am enclosing the screen shot from system status. Please let me know if there's any other section or hidden keys that will help shed light on which Sats my dishes are locked into.

BTW, I have tried hard in Dallas to find someone with Canadian (specifically Shaw Direct install), but so far no luck. The only one with ku experience was the guy I paid yesterday. He was good in that he improved the signal from 60 to 90, but ended up pointing to the wrong sat (for that dish).

View attachment 109389

I am trying to confirm that Shaw direct is on fact available in the US, specifically Atlanta GA. I am looking at getting Shaw at home in Canada so that I can get snow bird access during the winter. Could you let me know where I can find details on how to configure (1 dish), if HD is available and any other help would be appreciated

I´m sure you can take care of it yourself, and avoid calling that installer guy.

Someone posted a thread some months ago, I think it was titled something like Shaw Direct setup with 2 separate dishes, maybe you´d like to take a read at it.

I myself have a 2 dish set up for Shaw and after messing around with my dishes, to experiment with other sats, etc, pointing back the dishes and adjusting everything back is not difficult. :wink

Update. Finally got to the dish on the wall again this weekend. Followed instructions and patiently repointed the dish at 111. I now get over 90% signal on both 85 cm dishes with EcbNos in the low 7s. I guess that's the best I could do, considering I am in North TX. The good news with all this trouble is that I am now getting better signal strength on channels I used to have peripheral signal (eg. TSN2 HD, Sportsnet One HD to name a few).

Thanks all.

To cdn-Paul: If you are in the US, please check out http://www.global-cm.net/CAN/canadiansolution.html
That site has a lot of information on how to procure equipment (that is compatible to your home in Canada), pointing dish etc. Mike Kohl is one of the satellite gurus and he ought to guide you to get you set up with the right equipment in GA.

Good luck.

Reactions: Frenchophile
I am trying to confirm that Shaw direct is on fact available in the US, specifically Atlanta GA. I am looking at getting Shaw at home in Canada so that I can get snow bird access during the winter. Could you let me know where I can find details on how to configure (1 dish), if HD is available and any other help would be appreciated
CDN Paul yes Shaw is in the US but not HD unless your right near Canada. You will need the bigger dish like we use in Calif.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts