Shaw doesnt give you all the locals anymore?

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I was just looking at the Shaw guide to see if anything new has changed....and um yeah it has

Looks like you only get the province locals now and have to pay separate for the rest???

From the pdf
Channel availability varies by province.
Customers receive the Canadian signals from their province (atlantic customers receive the signals from
the atlantic region) and the east US Nets

You have to pay 5.04 (by the way what is with the weird ass pricing???) for the other coast nets and the rest of the Canadian locals.

So unless you have an Ontario address you kinda get shafted because you would only get CBC, SRC, CTV, and Global.

interesting......

Hey Ice,

I'm on the value pack. Ontario and Atlantic basically the same. The only locals I lose are a few from out west. Still get Calgary and BC locals. With the western value pack, they lose a few eastern locals. I don't pay for the west coast nets SD, because I get them included with my HD channels. Also, I need a 600 series Mpeg4 receiver for some of my east coast SD locals. I still think digital favorites get all locals across Canada.

Catamount

Huh. I see it in the literature too. I have Ultimate, so I'd get them all anyway, but I'm wondering if this is in effect yet or for new subs only, as I haven't seen a peep about it at Digital Home.

It is only for new customers as of October 1st. If you aLready have an account your safe. I was told by a CSR that they had so many people complaining about the duplicate channels etc they would take the time shifting out. So now if you want it you have to pay extra for it. Just another way to get into our pockets though if ya ask me!

Iceberg re the 5.04 pricing. The base priceis 4.99 plus the 1% LPIF charge hence the 5.04 price. That will become 5.01 when the fee drops to .5% and then to 4.99 when the LPIF is eliminated.

Glad I saw this...just recently got my internet back after a 10 month hiatus...so what's next with Shaw then? They might as well close up shop. things are getting more ridiculous each day. I suppose 5.04 extra a month is a drop in the hat to keep the timeshifting

Actually its not quite fee for carriage, that is still up in the air in Canada. It was designed for smaller market stations to support their local productions which is mainly news. CTV has threatened to close smaller market stations if LPIF was removed especially when the global economy tanked. The CRTC is somewhat calling their bluff by saying that the ad revenue has rebounded an the LPIF is no longer really needed hence the phase out.

Fee for carriage if implented would be strange because the cable satellite company's own so many tranditional broadcasters now they would be paying themselves. I would imagine the net effect would be that it would hurt Rogers more because Bell owns many more OTA stations then Rogers.

Wow one of the things we like a lot about CDN TV is being able to watch shows from diff. time zones. I'm sure glad we got Shaw before this happened. I hope they dont make old subscribers do it too. :(