Shaw satellite in Mesa, an update

Just heard that Shaw Direct on F2 has a scheduled migration to G1 over the next 3-5 years. First the DSR6xx series receivers will be replaced by 8xx series boxes (new boxes sent to customers with 6xx), then channels will be moved to G1 and compressed - probably HEVC, which is not supported by 6xx series boxes. 5 years = no F2

I'd imagine that since the 800 series has been around for going on eight years that HEVC is not in the cards. It is more likely that AVC (MPEG4) will continue to be used.

Reactions: c-spand
what satellite are you aligned to?
Sorry, I didn't get an alert you had asked a question and I don't visit the Forum often.

I am pointed at Anik F2, so I get all their channels but I don't get the channels from the other satellite (Anik G1) that you get in Canada.

That means I get about half of the Shaw Direct service. It is just so nice to see "regular" channels and information while down south. Makes me feel at home.

Reactions: c-spand
A quick search shows that commercial receivers made by Arris as far back as 2013 (SE7000) and the next ones in 2017 (7412 and 4470) all had HEVC capability. I'm putting money on the DSR8xx doing HEVC.

DSR8xx came out in December 2017
The Amazon.com (US) listing shows April 9, 2014 but Wikipedia shows that the 800 series bowed in July 2017. Perhaps Amazon has confused it with the 600 that was at version 4 at that point in time.

The HDDSR 800 manual on the Shaw site was last updated in October 2017 to version 2.3 and that would be a very rapid update schedule indeed from only four months earlier.

The evidence is all over the calendar.

HEVC as applied to live content may not be there even today due to the intense computational load.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 10)

Latest posts