Shaw vs. DirecTV and Dish sat positions

Barcthespark

Original poster
Oct 31, 2010
St. Louis Metro East
Although I've been reading the forums for quite awhile, I just signed up as a member today.

I have subscribed to DirecTV since 1997, but neighborhood trees are now causing weaker signal strength. I had Dish come out a couple years ago and they said they couldn't install due to lack of LOS. Where do the Shaw sats sit in the sky in comparison to DirecTV and Dish? Would I be able to get a Shaw signal if I cannot get a Dish signal?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Welcome to Satelliteguys;

The answer to your question is this.

Shaw Direct satellites.

107.3°W Anik F1R & 111.1°W Anik F2

Dish uses satellites mainly at 110°W & 119°W and 129°W & 77°W for most HD and 61.5°W for Eastern Arc HD.

Directv uses 99.2°W , 101.0°W , 102.8°W , 109.8°W

Use dishpointer.com for elevation in your area.

or consider hiring a rouge logger that works quietly at night.

Last edited:
I believe that St. Louis is on both arcs with Dish. If you had them check a couple years ago it was most likely for western arc only (110,119,129) pointing to the southwest. You might be able to receive the eastern arc (77,72.7,61.5) as it's to the southeast.

Either way I'd recommend taking a look at Dishpointer.com You can input your address and select what ever sats you want to get an idea for line of site.

I'd recommend taking a look at Dishpointer.com

When using this site, and after entering your location, go immediately to the satellite drop-down box and select "111.1W Anik F2/Wildblue-1". Do not select "All Satellites", "Motorized Systems" or "Multi-LNB Setups" at the top of the box. If you're using a Shaw dish with the quad LNB, Anik F2 is the satellite that you will be aiming at; once correctly pointed at Anik F2, Anik F1R will also be reflected to the LNB, presuming you have no line-of-sight issues.

Dish uses 61.5/72/77 for Eastern Arc and 110/119/129 for western arc. St Louis is on both arcs (the locals are)
Directv uses 99/101/103 for most setups and 110/119 additional for Spanish channels
as noted Shaw is at 107/111

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)